The Post-Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<from threads passim>

One of my grannies grew up in the heartland of Ulster Scots. Whereas my primary school years were abroad defending the Raj (unsuccessfully of course). We had no difficulty in conversation- which suggests if nowt else that US isn't a separate dialect, let alone language

</Ftp>

Comment

In my experience, the appeal of "ethnic" churches for many has relatively little to do with religion.

I don't know the particular history of Ypsilanti (other than it was named after a Greek independence hero), but southern Michigan was a rich source of relatively well paid manufacturing jobs requiring minimal language skills that attracted immigrants from all over.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

Sounds great. Not sure how religious they are though! I wonder what it is that draws people to certain areas like that. You wouldn't necessarily expect parts of michigan to have a big romanian community. Though Wikipedia says there's 120K romanian americans in michigan, and 165k romanians in the whole country.
        A lot in Seattle I understand, as I've heard it said that the second language of Microsoft is Romanian

Comment

They have had an engineering campus in or around Bucharest for a very long time (maybe even before 2000).

Comment

https://twitter.com/paperghost/status/1417179318325846017?s=21

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              In my experience, the appeal of "ethnic" churches for many has relatively little to do with religion.

I don't know the particular history of Ypsilanti (other than it was named after a Greek independence hero), but southern Michigan was a rich source of relatively well paid manufacturing jobs requiring minimal language skills that attracted immigrants from all over.
              To flip it around, I went to my wife’s grandmother’s funeral and wake (a Dubliner by birth) and immediately felt at home in the Sydenham Catholic Club. It was like a pint sized version of the Irish Cultural Center in San Francisco. It’s probably the closest I’ve been to attending Mass again in years. I think the only other place I’ve been to in London that had such “have I walked into a transporter?” vibes is the Philly cheesesteak sports bar here that manages to perfectly recreate an American bar in Fitzrovia.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...droidApp_Other

Only 2% of applicants were over 65.

Comment

https://twitter.com/BylineTV/status/1418213425260294156?s=19

Comment

My heart bleeds, pay your staff properly, UK or European.

Comment

It's a pretty striking example of what I suspect to be a very widespread problem with democratic politics at the moment. Most people don't have a very complicated or sophisticated idea of how things actually work, or what is important, but instead view things through the prism of their own short term interests. This is down to the a) complicated nature of everything b) a failure of political and economic education c) a media that is little more than propaganda pedlar d) a horrendously anti intellectual political class, which feeds into the wider culture.

This lad apparently voted for brexit as a businessman, which I find kind of fascinating. I'm not sure how the heavy hand of European regulation was weighing down on this titan of Industry. However as an easily foreseeable disaster unfolds around him. He's not able to admit that he was wrong, and shifts the emphasis from thinking as a businessman, to thinking as a person to er, benefit his business.

the way he is able to just blithely frame the whole thing in terms of access to minimum wage staff suggests someone who doesn't really think about the other person's point of view very often, and he's certainly not expert in protecting his own Interests by presenting himself as someone vaguely sympathetic

Comment

I originally thought it was a spoof but then realised that the owner of Wetherspoons complained about the same thing.

I'm wondering how this people ever became successful in the first place.

Comment

The short answer is: by exploiting immigrants.

Why aren't English people queuing up to take their place? Truly a question for the ages.

Comment

We're too busy racially abusing sportspeople and laughing at funny Boris to worry about such things.

Comment

'I wouldn't vote Brexit ever again'

There won't be another vote you fucking thick cunt, as you were told extensively at the time.

Comment

https://twitter.com/jonworth/status/1418988096369143812?s=20

Comment

https://twitter.com/NeilMackay/status/1418239051979640839?s=19

Here's another case.

Comment

Comment

Had this message yesterday when doing my online shop. I hope this doesn't cause panic buying again.

Comment

Online delivery slots are definitely in shorter supply than before, although at least in Ocado's case that's got to be in part because of the Erith fire.

Comment

Which items are in short supply? More problematic if they are staples/your usual basics, but with fresh produce surely now is the time to be flexible/use local butchers and fishmongers etc.

Comment

First world problem, but our Sainsburys monthly big shop came this morning and it was missing around a quarter of our usual stuff in the end. No pulses, chick peas, not many cleaning products and worst of all for me, no Grape Nuts. The one thing I managed to get at every point during the first lockdown. We do buy most of our fresh staples (veg, bread, etc) on our local shopping street but we also visit Sainsburys weekly as well for other bits and though no way near as bad as first lockdown, there are a fair few gaps on the shelves. Staff there clearly can't discuss why in front of customers but I know some and the suggestion is its more Brexit than the pingdemic.

The Chilli Marmite was delivered though, so its not all gloom.

Comment

I didn't know, until fairly recently, that Grape Nuts are nowt to do with either grapes or nuts.

There has been a bit more stuff missing / unavailable to select / substituted in our recent Sainsbo's deliveries. We get them much more often than monthly, mind. Apples have been trickier than usual.

(We also had a delivery cancelled at short notice, on Sunday, due to driver sickness shortages apparently. And then they delivered on Monday the stuff they'd picked on Sunday. So we got a full refund, which was nice.)
                                              Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 30-07-2021, 08:07.

Comment

Comment

Unlike the foreign language signs in Sainsburys these are in a language that isn't official in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                                    Online delivery slots are definitely in shorter supply than before, although at least in Ocado's case that's got to be in part because of the Erith fire.
                                                    Or in today's case Erith Wind and Fire...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X