No announcement yet.

The Post-Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of idle curiosity, what sort of goods are still sold in imperial quantities? Milk, I think, is still available by the pint or quart, though it's also available in metric quantities, and beer I suppose is an obvious one. Wines and spirits went metric yonks ago, as did merchant yard timber, screws, nails, etc. I'll bet the old half hundredweight bag of cement has long since been the metric equivalent. How about meats, fruit and vegetables?

Comment

Originally posted by Muukalainen View Post
      Out of idle curiosity, what sort of goods are still sold in imperial quantities? Milk, I think, is still available by the pint or quart, though it's also available in metric quantities, and beer I suppose is an obvious one. Wines and spirits went metric yonks ago, as did merchant yard timber, screws, nails, etc. I'll bet the old half hundredweight bag of cement has long since been the metric equivalent. How about meats, fruit and vegetables?
      I think milk is sold by the litre

Comment

In Ireland, one of the leading brands of honey is still sold in 1lb jars, though metrically labelled solely as 454g.

Comment

Come to thik of it, isn't beer sold in imperial units only at the point of sale to the consumer, duty being levied at whatever the barrel size is in litres, and consequently traded wholesale in metric?

Comment

Milk is sold in litres. Vegetables and meat in grams.

Comment

Fabrics, ribbons, thread etc. are sold in metres rather than yards everywhere but in the US. Although bizarrely imperial units are widely used in UK/NZ/Aus pattern instructions for small lengths (e.g. seam allowances are typically 3/8" or 5/8") so you get a weird mix of imperial and metric units

Comment

Yeah, if the UK is antediluvian in this respect, the US dates from before the emergence of humans.

Lumber, sod, tile and other "home improvement" items are imperial.

Milk and juice are imperial (unless long life imports), fizzy drinks in bottles are metric, fizzy drinks in cans usually imperial.

Comment

And, of course, a US pint is a different volume to a UK one.

Comment

Yeah, and that lot still use "cups" which is even weirder.

Comment

Assuming this act of weirdness is going to happen, what exactly will be repackaged? Producers aren't going to rebuild their production lines to put things in pint cartons or boxes of 1lb. So it is just market traders? In which case I think the best thing to do is to shop at markets and refuse to buy from anyone who won;t sell you a kilo of potatoes

Comment

Nothing is going to happen, no-one is going to change anything. It's all for show, just like everything else.

Comment

I expect that it will be limited to the market stalls for fruit and veg run by the largely non-existent "metric martyrs".

All they want out of this are photo ops and media attention.

Comment

Another dead cat for the pile.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                              Yeah, and that lot still use "cups" which is even weirder.
                              Cords of wood, anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                Assuming this act of weirdness is going to happen, what exactly will be repackaged? Producers aren't going to rebuild their production lines to put things in pint cartons or boxes of 1lb. So it is just market traders? In which case I think the best thing to do is to shop at markets and refuse to buy from anyone who won;t sell you a kilo of potatoes
                                I think technically people will be "permitted" to sell, and to announce prices by, imperial rather than metric amounts. You'll be able to sell a half pound of butter and call it a half pound of butter rather than 227g of butter.

Of course, nothing will actually change. If you asked for a pound of bacon at the butcher last year they could still give you about half a kilo. That will also happen under the new rules.

As Snake says, it's all performative bollocks with no substance.

Comment

They will need at least a few signs/chalkboards for the photo ops

Comment

The only thing that is usually referred to in imperial apart from pump beer is your own height and weight.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                      All they want out of this are photo ops and media attention.
                                      And more culture war against the young.

Comment

How long before someone senior in the government starts flying the kite of re-introducing pre-decimal currency? And who will do it first, Rees-Mogg?

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                          The only thing that is usually referred to in imperial apart from pump beer is your own height and weight.
                                          But they are measured and recorded by the NHS in metres and kilos respectively.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                            How long before someone senior in the government starts flying the kite of re-introducing pre-decimal currency? And who will do it first, Rees-Mogg?
                                            My groat is on Mark Francois.

Comment

I'm quite certain that Sunak has had to shoot that down several times already.

The City would go apeshit.

Comment

Weights and measures going metric had nothing to do with the EU. I'd bet Gove will quietly kills this off just like the Nordie Bridge and all the other Uncosted shite that tousle haired cunt talks.

Comment

There is nothing to actually kill

Comment

Given that shops in ireland have moved away from dealing in cents and two cents, and round the bill to the nearest 5 cent you could go back to pre decimal currency quite easily, just not pennies, and if you did it during a period of hyperinflation, no-one would notice the inevitable inflationary effect. .

Comment

Working...
                                                    X