The Post-Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
    Yeah, tyre pressure here is in PSI as well. Torque gets that here as well, but I think the most outstanding oldschool measure that we take for granted is Horsepower.
    Car companies mainly use PS for bhp now as they’re practically interchangeable. PS being Pferdstark which is German for horsepower but in metric.
    I’ve started seeing Newton Meters for torque now too. Especially with regards to electric cars.

Comment

https://twitter.com/thelorryist/status/1439361631872602112?s=19

Not sure where to put this but found it interesting.

Wonder what Logan Mountstuart and others think of this?

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
        School dinners hit by supply chain crisis with some canteens staying shut
        https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/e...wsApp_AppShare

Some school canteens not opened in Wales due to HGV driver shortage.
        The canteen at my children's school is now sending out weekly emails about shortages and substitutes. So far Quorn hot dog sausages have been replaced by standard Quorn sausages and battered cod fillets have been replaced by cod fish fingers. Fortunately, my children are relatively adaptable, but it's still concerning.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
          So far Quorn hot dog sausages have been replaced by standard Quorn sausages
          Frivolous comment, but what's the difference?

Comment

length?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Frivolous comment, but what's the difference?
              Basically the difference between a non-Quorn hot dog sausage and a standard pork sausage. Different texture, size, flavour.

Comment

https://twitter.com/BylineTV/status/1438957499462426631?s=19

Comment

https://twitter.com/FirstNorwich/status/1439801624554311684?s=19

Driver shortage is now hitting buses causing some routes to be suspended.

Comment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58545428.amp

Happening in Wales too.

The BBC blames it on Covid-19 and the DVLA but also says drivers are leaving to drive HGVs, however it doesn't say why they are moving to that sector.

Comment

The bus route rhat goes along my mums road has been suspended since midway through last week.

Anecdata - the bus driver I know* used to drive lorries. He switched to buses a while back. The hours are antisocial and the job isn't great but it was marginally better in terms of hours than driving lorries. If he is typical of the bus driver profession then it's no surprise they are taking their suddenly valuable skills to haulage companies.

*perhaps ironically, he is a big supporter of Brexit. He posted a selfie on Facebook wearing a Winston Churchill t-shirt on "Freedom Day".

Comment

Comment

No idea if this is Brexit related but when Laura K is spinning it for Johnson I've become very suspicious.

Comment

Maybe that bloke who wanted to rethink Brexit and cap energy companies was onto something after all. He apparently even wanted to nationalise sausages which given the noises coming from pork suppliers was a good thing.

Comment

Johnson claims Mark Rutte offered to mediate over the protocol, but unsurprisingly, The Hague firmly denies this.

Comment

In school dinner shortage news, this week's roast pork is being replaced with roast beef, which could be problematic for observers of certain religious dietary requirements.

Comment

The other way around surely?

Comment

Neither are ideal, given the hundreds of thousands of Hindus resident in Britain, of course - over 1m, as it transpires.

Comment

Comment

There are shortages of everything aren't there? I was talking to the publisher today about my book due out at the beginning of next year and she said "well paper supplies permitting" and then she went on to talk about her brother who works at a cardboard box production facility who said they have massive shortages (and obviously demand under covid - for things like amazon packaging - has gone through the roof even as supplies are vanishing)

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                          Are those monthly or quarterly prices?
                                          Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 21-09-2021, 17:07. Reason: Stupidity.

Comment

Sorry, I didn't pick up on what Mw/h meant.

Comment

Though I would like to know if those are wholesale or retail prices or something in between. And the extent to which retail prices are similar throughout the UK given the fragmented nature of the market.

Megawatt Hours are more commonly a wholesale/trading measure. Consumer bills are usually in Kilowatt Hours (a MwH is 1,000 KwH)

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                                Sorry, I didn't pick up on what Mw/h meant.
                                                It should be MWh. MW/h doesn't make any sense.

Comment

I'm curious about why the European prices are so low in this graph. The price of gas has spiked for everyone. Are the EU countries making the energy companies 'eat' the loss? because that's not sustainble indefinitely.

Also why no figures for this island?
                                                  Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 21-09-2021, 17:35.

Comment

Generation mixes differ considerably, as do market structures and regulations.and the degree to which wholesale and retail prices are driven by spot prices

The UK is probably the market most subject to spot fluctuations.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X