Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Weight-watching-wise, this is always a risky part of the year for me, as temperatures perk up and my body doesn't burn off as many calories to keep me warm as it usually does.

I also delude myself that I'll be eating salads and snacking on fruit for the next four months.

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    I hadn't really thought it through. Perhaps you were going to reveal some secreting parenting technique that meant the kids would actually start cleaning up after themselves.

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    Ok, got it. This is only a temporary regime anyway until I go back to full-time work next week and ignoring the devastation.

Leave a comment:

• Tactical Genius
    replied
    Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

Apparently the OTF inbox is very small then. I think I've only received about ten messages from anyone ever! Anyway, I've tried moving them into a different folder to see if that frees up any space.
    I think you missed the joke Balders.

I'm clearly not as funny as I think I am.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    They are really small

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

Tried sending you a PM, looks like your inbox is full.
    Apparently the OTF inbox is very small then. I think I've only received about ten messages from anyone ever! Anyway, I've tried moving them into a different folder to see if that frees up any space.

Leave a comment:

• Tactical Genius
    replied
    Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
    So, my current regime of ten hours housework a day...
    Tried sending you a PM, looks like your inbox is full.

Leave a comment:

• Femme Folle
    replied
    Like others who have dogs, I have lost 25lbs (11.34kg) since adopting Peter in November. I am also asthmatic and have noticed a huge improvement in that regard. I can now walk up a flight of stairs without feeling like I'm going to die. My knee joints are not painful when I walk and my clothes fit better. I seem to have plateaued, but I'm okay with that for now.

Leave a comment:

• TonTon
    replied
    I had a bit of "too depressed to eat" recently, but I got over it.

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    Oh I wouldn't dream of recommending this to anyone else. It's clearly no way to live your life. I was just trying to find a silver lining to my current personal hell.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    I was down pretty well on the year a couple of months ago but, as always happens as soon as I'm doing OK, I fell off the wagon a bit and was eating and drinking too much. I've not been on the scales in the last three weeks but there's a notable extra tightness on notch four on my belt.... I'm not sure "being angry all the time" is a good long term strategy for weight loss, and "spending every waking hour doing housework" has only been effective in the short term for the same reason as dieting which is that as soon as I've made a little progress I get lazy.

Leave a comment:

• TonTon
    replied
    Gah, I'm, yeah, well whatever.

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    So, my current regime of ten hours housework a day and mostly being too angry to eat properly means that I've lost a bit of weight and am officially no longer obese, I'm now just very overweight. Reducing my medication might have had an effect too.

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    Interesting documentary last night from Dr Chris van Tulleken on ultra processed foods has got me thinking about my (seemingly - always add the caveat) weight loss. Mostly because I still consume a lot of calories by typical standards as the experimenting with slowly raising the amount eventually reach a level of ~3000/day for my weight to be stable at the new, much lower level. Whilst I do do a lot of sport so my exercise/calorie burn level will be unusually high, I’m now wondering if the weight loss was in large part down to an accidental change - simply that I significantly increased the number of meals I cooked from (close to*) scratch. This was essentially so I knew what was in them**... but maybe it was actually the main driver of success?

* - an example of ‘close to scratch’ would be yesterday’s pasta and meatballs. I would call the sauce entirely homemade as it started from passata, but the meatballs actually weren’t, they were shop bought raw ready prepared. I’m capable of making my own (I do make my own burgers from genuine scratch, and meatballs are very similar) but that was just too time consuming.
    ** - given the daily calorie target, know what’s in them is nowadays simply that, rather than a coded phrase for cutting back on oil used/making skimpy portion sizes/etc.

Leave a comment:

• Third rate Leszno
    replied
    Good work Foxy, that's impressive stuff.

In my last update in February I was aiming to get to 16st by the end of March. I didn't quite make it as I seemed to get stuck at around 16st 3lb and despite continuing the same eating, drinking and walking regime that had dropped me from 17st 8lb at NY, those last 3lb refused to shift.

On May 7th, we got a puppy. I'm now 15st 11lb, so I can recommend this course of action to anyone struggling to get off a weight plateau. It's not really the extra exercise as we can't take him out for walks yet, it's the not having time to eat snacks or relax in the evening with a beer (I've had two beers in 3 weeks). Keeping him occupied and entertained is full-on, when he goes to sleep it's time to catch up with household jobs or work that has fallen behind when he's awake.

Leave a comment:

• nmrfox
    replied
    Since the start of the year, been up and down. Started with good intentions, lost weight; stress of the house move and all of the shenanigans that went with that, put on weight. Moved house (eventually), good intentions, lost weight; got comfortable in the new house and lost focus; put on weight. So at the time of my wifes birthday, 2 months ago, I asked her what she wanted and she said the only thing she wanted was for me to lose weight - I was around 16st (101kg, 224lbs) at the time. Swallowing my pride, I did give her the Kindle I'd already bought for her birthday, which she liked, but also promised that I would try to lose some weight for her (as she was afraid of losing me to a heart attack).

So, 2 months later. I cannot deny that I like a drink, and I also enjoy sitting up late, watching TV and eating trash. However, on school nights I've resolved to be a good lad and have been off to bed early, we've both laid there reading in bed, so by the time it's lights out it's a reasonable time in my mind to go to sleep. Exercise (i.e. dog walking) has never been an issue as we go for a bare minimum of 4 miles a day. There have even been weekend/Bank Holiday nights when I've not had a drink/snack. Net result is a loss of over a stone so far with my current weight of 14st 13lbs (94.8kg, 209lbs), with the plan to try and get under 200lbs by end of July.

I feel better, being an asthmatic my breathing is a lot better than it was earlier in the year, clothes fit much better, I feel much more happier in my lifestyle, and best of all, my lovely wife is really happy with me (and also urging me not to get complacent and slip back as has happened before).

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    I put new batteries in my electronic scales and they are now recording my weight as a kilogram higher than it was before I replaced the batteries. Outrageous.

But I really do need to get a handle on my weight. I went to the gym three times last week. I'm still 1.6kg down on my peak weight on January 6th this year, but about 23kg higher than I should be so a long way to go.

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
    Very impressive!

Given your substantial weight loss, what changes in your physical performance have you noticed?

I know it's a blunt tool, but what's your current BMI?

(My weight, top end of the healthy BMI range, has oscillated gently since last summer. It's so stable that I'm thinking about moving from two weigh-ins per week to just one. )
    Performance, how?

Erm, well, it's kind of hard to unpick what is down to weight loss, what is down to improved fitness from the running I've been doing, and what is down to the knee strengthening exercises that a physio advised as generally good after a very slow recovery from an injury at the start of 2019, something (the slow recovery) that she put down to weak muscles around the knee rather than any problems in the joint. But in general the stamina is much better, my knees don't hurt when I go up or down stairs, standing up is from the floor is now straightforward again, my back gets stiff when lying down very rarely now rather than occasionally, my core strength is improved and my balance is better. Oh, and improved digestive health as well - it turns out having a heavy stomach pressing down on and squashing your intestines is unhelpful.

As for BMI, my height is 1m77. So at 69.3kg, it calculates as 22.1.
    [BMI = weight in kilos / (height in metres)squared]

Leave a comment:

• Wouter D
    replied
    Nice going Janik!

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Very impressive!

Given your substantial weight loss, what changes in your physical performance have you noticed?

I know it's a blunt tool, but what's your current BMI?

(My weight, top end of the healthy BMI range, has oscillated gently since last summer. It's so stable that I'm thinking about moving from two weigh-ins per week to just one. )

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    When I started losing weight it was something I sort of stumbled into - it went something like an extremely busy day at work meant I simply didn't eat, only getting around to my planned lunch at around 9pm and never managing dinner. A combination of factors and motivations, of which being overweight already being known back then as a serious risk factor for Covid was a main one but nothing like the only one, saw me decide to make the most of the accidental start and commit to trying seriously to get into better shape. All that meant I don't have a pre-weightloss day 0 weight - the first time I carefully weighed myself was already at handful of days (1 or 2, I don't remember exactly) into the attempt. And given I eat basically nothing on those first couple of days it is likely I had already shed up a fair amount* prior to getting a baseline figure. However, the first day where I did weigh myself according to what became the establish 8am protocol was 26th March 2020, i.e. exactly a year ago. My weight then was 87.6kg. This morning it was 69.3kg, which is 18.3kg down.

* - during that first few days I was losing around 1kg per day! (down to 84.6kgs by 29th March, which was three tracked days in) This would actually tally with previous ad hoc, uncontrolled weigh-ins, which used to show me around the 89-90kg mark.

Crucially, the weight now appears to be quite stable... well actually, it is still drifting down very, very slowly (see graphs below - the current rate is ~2.0kg lost per annum!). Putting it back on again seems to be being avoided. For instance I haven't had a weight of 72.0kg or greater since 12th October last year, 71.0kg or higher since 23rd November and 70.0kg or above since 23rd Feb. And that is weighing myself literally daily - it is now part of the morning routine.

The next challenge will be seeing if this is maintained when the world goes back to normal, given the weightloss period maps basically exactly to the bizarrest time of most of our lives. But I'm not seeing why it would as by now my new appetite is very ingrained. Fingers crossed.

And finally, the graphs

Blue = 2050 calories per day
    Red = shifting from 2050 to 2750 calories per day and then seeing if weight is stable
    Green = shifting from 2750 to 3000 calories per day and then seeing if weight is stable
    Purple = ceased calorie counting as weight appears under control

On the equations, the gradients (i.e. the mulitpliers of x) are the weight changes of the best-fit lines, each expressed in kg/day (for example, the blue line is y = -0.1782x, which means an average weight loss (the minus sign) of 178.2g/day or ~1.25kg/week over that period) and the constants/intercepts are meaningless (there is no sensible origin point on an ongoing date axis, so how can there be an intercept?)

This is the relative weight change from week to week, as measured on Monday mornings. Anything below zero on the y-axis is a week where weight has been lost overall, anything above it is one with a gain across the 7 days.

And finally

Monthly numbers, showing that a slow weightloss continues even allowing for the margin or error, which is needed as the average daily changes would be lost in the noise of general fluctuations and only become apparent when an overall trend is computed. Note that the x-axis is very foreshortened, and the ongoing percentage change is much lower than this makes it appear. Notably, re: this month, I haven't yet had a single weight of 70.0kg or above (three at 69.9 but 69.9 is < 70.0!). Something which I will hopefully maintain through the next five days, and that will be another first for this millennium.
    Last edited by Janik; 26-03-2021, 12:10.

Leave a comment:

• Third rate Leszno
    replied
    So, my last 3 weigh-ins (across a 5 day stretch) have been 16st 8lb, 16st 9lb and 16st 7lb. The first one seemed too good to be true as I hadn't noticeably lost any belly, so I gave it a couple more goes and it seems reasonably consistent. I'm surprised but feel like my efforts have been rewarded. As per my last contribution to this thread I've (mostly) continued to do well on avoiding lardy meals, had no more than one beer on a Friday and Saturday and none at all the other 5 days. I've managed to avoid snacking on anything other than rice crackers and kept up a decent number of steps each day (the cold dry weather has been a massive help on that front). Last three weeks have been 90,000, 83,000 and 86,000 steps respectively.

As there seems no prospect of any sport, pubs or restaurants opening up this side of Easter I will continue to plug on with this routine and should hopefully be free of distractions other than my own sketchy willpower and a large cupboard full of beers. If I can get to 16 stone by the end of March I will be more than happy.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    To be fair, it was only three or four frozen pizzas. It's the dry stuff, which all travelled with us and which lasts forever which is the biggest issue.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    You only really just moved so where did all the pizzas arrive from?

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    I've been meaning to revive this, too. I'm still working on the margin because I am still depleting the stockpile of "bad" food left in the house from before Christmas - seriously, how did we have this much sugary candy and bags of crisps and frozen pizza? But I'm down somewhere around 5lbs on the year and probably 12lbs from my moving-house-plus-Covid max.

I suspect that my biggest problem is that I absolutely love bread. And bread leads to butter. I think once I get back from our week away next week that I might have a moratorium on (non-pizza) bread products for a month and see what that does.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X