The 2021 OTF Weight Loss Intention & Mutual Support Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 2021 OTF Weight Loss Intention & Mutual Support Thread

Off we go again, with steely determination and resolve so stiff that you couldn't show it on TV.

Weighing in...14st1lb. Need to shift a good 10lb and a bit of middle age spread.

Comment

I have every intention of losing a big chunk of weight this year. But I think it will be a tricky start. The missus has started on a serious diet, which means that I am basically eating everything that's left in the house, depleting all the stockpiles of sugary treats and salty treats and frozen-fried treats and bready treats and so on. 215lb starting weight (ish:there's probably an 8lb spread around that number depending on time of day and so on), with about 25lb that really needs to go, and another 10 extra that would be very nice to dispose of but which is much less critical.
      Last edited by San Bernardhinault; 01-01-2021, 19:00.

Comment

I'd join in, but it'll be taken over by the usual gym-nazis, so I'll keep myself to myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
          I'd join in, but it'll be taken over by the usual gym-nazis, so I'll keep myself to myself.

Your choice T., but I'm not sure if there were many, if any, contributors to the predecessor thread that fitted that description. It was mainly honest appraisals of personal succeess or slippage, along with some tips and advice.

Anyway, my first trip to the scales in 2021 today had me at 12 5 1/2, so just up a pound over the festive season which is good news, though a hefty Christmas pudding and cream/custard remains to be consumed. But that's over 16 pounds down from where I was at this point last year and within the healthy BMI range, which was my main target.

Given the above, I'm not really sure what my plans for the year are. Maybe just try to make my diet a bit healthier, which would be mainly less processed food and fewer carbs, and try to up my exercise levels, COVID restrictions and knee joints allowing.
          Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 02-01-2021, 13:32.

Comment

Stop being daft, there was very little gym-nazi stuff on here...

Comment

This morning I weighed in at 84.7kg. The goal is to bring that down to 75kg, and I know that I can do that in a sustainable manner at a rate of 2kg per month. Giving myself a little bit of slack, I've set myself the goals to weigh in below 80kg before the end of March, and below 75kg before the end of June.

Comment

Please ignore this. I'd drunk too much and was in a bad mood.

Comment

Not a problem, mate.

Comment

I'm in. I'm currently 109kg and hope to lose 9kg in the next 4 months. Mainly so I don't invalidate the warranty of my new bikes wheels when it arrives.

Not mainly, but that's how I'm setting a target.
                    ​​

Comment

For various reasons I've not been on my bike much or done much challenging walking over the last few weeks. I've piled it on. It's so easy. Need a new start.

Comment

Apparently I'm 246lb, or 111.5kg - or in terms I'm more familiar with, 17 stone 8lb. This is only 6lb below my heaviest ever, when I'd just waddled off a 2 week Baltic cruise in 2016.

After that I cut down on carbs and takeaways and managed to get down to 16 stone 8lb, but lockdowns and wfh and all the shit stuff that's happened this last year has meant I've prioritised making myself feel happy (more crisps, more comfort and junk food) over keeping the lard off.

Ironically I am probably doing more exercise now than when i lost a stone and a half (I'm doing 10-12000 steps probably 6 out of 7 days) but that just shows how many calories I'm shovelling in. I'm not someone who will gain motivation by measuring how many calories I eat and managing it, that just becomes too much of a faff and I'm much better just cutting down on portion size and grimly trying to get through each day without any treats.

Will report back, for good or bad.

Comment

Shocked on New Years Day to see that I was 16st 0lb - the heaviest in my life. So, have decided to do a dry January as much as I possibly can and see how the lack of late night snacks, allied with alcohol calories, gets my weight down. Exercise isn't an issue, as I do at least 4 miles walking a day with the dogs, but rather than going in the car to do local shopping, have decided to walk there too, though obviously not with the pooches as tying them outside a shop is just plain wrong/daft/asking for trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by nmrfox View Post
                            Shocked on New Years Day to see that I was 16st 0lb - the heaviest in my life. So, have decided to do a dry January as much as I possibly can and see how the lack of late night snacks, allied with alcohol calories, gets my weight down. Exercise isn't an issue, as I do at least 4 miles walking a day with the dogs, but rather than going in the car to do local shopping, have decided to walk there too, though obviously not with the pooches as tying them outside a shop is just plain wrong/daft/asking for trouble.
                            You COVID vector*

Comment

I've started doing a calorie counting app again. Trying to keep it under 2000 a day, which is ambitious, but so far, so good. It's not a lot of food, by US standards.

Comment

Party is over for me, booze is out (I am feeling low enough without adding that particular issue to the mix), giving myself this week to transition back to calories counting. Feeling hungry most of the day, which is good.

I have added a 30 days yoga plan whilst at it...

Comment

I just feel like I don't have the time/energy to take on many more "things" like yoga or another workout in addition to my daily walk and all the other things I want to do during a day.

Comment

First two days were awful, residual back pain after pulling something bending over 10 days ago and stiff as a plank but day 3 was much improved. A mix of gentle stuff and a few sadistic positions. We do it in the evening once our much lighter meal has gone down...

Comment

Last year started very well, and I think I lost about 7kgs by mid March. Then...lockdown, boredom, drinking, eating, less exercise, etc etc (I mean i am blaming lockdown, but clearly that's on me). I'd even stopped weighing myself for fear of what I would see. However, after a fairly indulgent Christmas period I felt like I couldn't let this continue, so i have resolved to get moving again on this weight loss/fitness plan. Weighed myself with great trepidation on Monday, and while I had gone up since March, I am still 3kgs down on this time last year, which is actually a pleasant surprise. Anyway, this week I have started eating much smaller and thought-out portions, and haven't even had a drink (I realise that just under 3 days without a drink may not sound like much to write home about, after recent months it feels like a bit of a victory). To be honest, the greatest need I have is the exercise for mental health reasons, but if I can lose weight while I'm at it, that will be a great bonus (and also beneficial to my mental state)

Comment

I'm haven't got off to a flyer this year. I've been trying to exercise most days, but the cold weather makes it tricky to motivate myself, partly because it takes so much time to actually get all the kit on.

And there is just an astonishing amount of sugary stuff in the house and because I know the missus doesn't want to eat it I don't feel like I need to save it, so I've been snacking on chocolates and biscuits way, way, way more than I should. At some point the stockpile will be depleted as I'm not going to be buying any more but it's taking a lot of time. I have at least been eating healthily during my actual meals.
                                        Last edited by San Bernardhinault; 06-01-2021, 16:46.

Comment

I have been avoiding this thread.

At some point in 2020, all attempts to lose or maintain weight were abandoned. I now have a sedentary job and I'm not even walking the kids to and from school. I'm heavier than I've ever been in my adult life.

I just bit the bullet and weighed myself, fully clothed and I'm clocking in at 75.3kg. I am a tiny person, so this is a wholly inappropriate weight. For reference, when an anorexic teenager I weighed about 40kg. When a healthy-sized person in my early twenties I was weighed fully clothed as part of my medical check in China and I weighed 51kg then. More recently, I went up to 71kg in 2016 when on oxytocin (notorious for weight gain) and managed to get back down to about 56kg with Slimming World in 2019.

I don't quite know what to do this time. Slimming World isn't open. You can do virtual classes but it doesn't appeal as I'm already spending the whole day in front of the computer. We've eaten most of the Christmas crap and there are no more birthdays in the house until August so that should help if we just don't buy any more crap.

But it's hard. Yesterday, I started the day well, with carefully weighed muesli, extra blueberries and skimmed milk, ate a relatively healthy spinach and ricotta pasta lunch prepared by my husband and snacked only on satsumas. And then, we got to the end of the day. My daughter was in floods of tears due to missing school. My husband was at the end of his tether from child wrangling all day and couldn't face cooking, so we ordered pizzas from the local Italian restaurant and watched Around the World in 80 Days to recover.

I definitely need to do something. My triglyceride levels are sky high. I feel like I'm wearing a fat suit. My joints hurt and I can't fit in any of my wardrobe aside from the category of "stretchy dresses".

I've committed to taking the kids out for a walk / exercise for an hour for every lunchtime but it's not enough.
                                          Last edited by Balderdasha; 06-01-2021, 18:55.

Comment

To add insult to injury, my scales flashed the message "Happy New Year" to me, complete with fake fireworks, immediately after showing my highest weight ever. Why would anyone programme scales to do that?

Comment

My current weight is also higher than both times I was 9 months pregnant. But I can't handily drop a stone by having a quick caesarian this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                                To add insult to injury, my scales flashed the message "Happy New Year" to me, complete with fake fireworks, immediately after showing my highest weight ever. Why would anyone programme scales to do that?
                                                That sounds like a typical examples of a bunch of programmers (or their managers) being so excited about what they can do, that they forget to properly think though whether it is a good idea to do it.

I imagine that they were well pleased with themselves to come up with such a nice bonus feature for their users, completely forgetting about the scenario you sketch.

Comment

After losing the best part of 10KG in 2020, I sneaked up from about 84 to about 89kg over the festive period 13'7 to 14 stone. Alot of this is down to the daily drinking and the crap gym in the Hotel i'm staying in.
                                                  Since Sunday, I have gone back to running 10k per day (2x5k) as well as 10 minutes each on the exercise bike and cross trainer. I have managed to go down to 87KG, the challenge is to not go over that weight.

Message to all, get to work don't feel dispirited. Find the inner motivation to shift the weight, if necessary see a therapist. In this covid times it may be the difference between life and death.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X