No announcement yet.

The COVID-19 Vaccination Progress Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just asked and all but one kid in our son's class have been vaccinated.

Comment

This is quite good on approaches to vaccine hesitancy: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58594542

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
        I don't understand the figures where I am. The figures for new cases have, apart from a small blip in the first week of September (bank holiday or schools going back), been coming down steadily, though not steeply, for about six weeks and we are well below the national average. Yet the vaccination figures for the borough are awful - only 63% with a single dose, and 57% doubly vaccinated, way below the national average. I can usually rationalise something about how these figures behave but this one has me stumped.
        Fortune, in all likelihood. The smaller the population sample, the higher the likelihood of the numbers to diverge from a general trend. Remember the k number rather than the r number is the key one here - this is a disease which superspreaders are very important to in driving the numbers. When you get down to the borough level, the number of superspreader events drops to a low enough rate that a place can get lucky and simply dodge them. For a time. Reversion to the mean should happen eventually...

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
          Also relevant: there's not really an anti-vax movement here. Somewhere in the region of 80%+ of Argentines (and residents) over the age of 50 have had at least one dose
          Evidently I was half remembering an out-of-date report when I wrote this last night, because it's actually 87% of over-18s.

Comment

Just got back from being dosed up for the second time. I was informed the symptoms will be similar to the ones I got before, so I'm gorging myself on paracetamol as I type.
            Last edited by Sam; 27-09-2021, 08:01.

Comment

I imagine that you are aware of this, but don't gorge paracetamol.

Comment

British Columbia has hit the 80 per cent mark with the number of eligible residents* who have received both doses of a COVID-19 vaccine. The province says that compares with nearly 88 per cent of people who have been vaccinated with their initial dose.

The province says that after factoring for age, people who are unvaccinated are nearly 26 times more likely to be hospitalized than those who are fully vaccinated.

* Those aged 12+

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                  I imagine that you are aware of this, but don't gorge paracetamol.
                  Don't worry, I was joking! I'd had one at the time of writing that previous post and have had a few since, all about seven or eight hours apart. It's made for some far milder side effects than I got from dose 1 of AstraZeneca, although Saturday was still a very low-energy day.

Comment

My daughter's roommate has been unwell for the last week (flu-ish, covid-ish symptoms). She went home this weekend and her mother's first reaction when she saw her daughter's state of health? "Did you get vaccinated without telling me?"

Seriously. What in the name of fuck do you do with these people. I've lost all hope.

Comment

Highest number of new cases today in Romania since the pandemic began. 27% vaccination rate. Fucking dumb as fuck idiots. Makes me want to fucking scream.

Tatiana Grecu, who’s in charge of an ICU in the central city of Targu Jiu, said many patients regretted not getting vaccines, Adevarul reported on Monday.

„I’ve been asking patients why they didn’t get a jab and they reply „I’m dumb”, „my kids won’t let me,” „someone on the TV said it causes leukemia,” „it’s the mark on the devil.”

Others told her „the priest said we won’t get to Heaven,” or „I’m not getting a shot because the virus doesn’t exist and I just have a cold.”

Comment

I was going to mention something about cases and deaths being on the rise again in Eastern Europe after a massive decline in the summer. Has Delta hit the region?

Comment

Delta, very very low vaccination rates, people not caring, very few people wearing masks any more, etc etc

Comment

Stopped into a cafe to get out of the rain and had to show my vaccine passport for the first time outside of a medical setting

Comment

Every eligible age group in the state is now 70+% vaccinated. Every county in the state is now over 70% of eligible punters vaccinated (over 80% in the more populated counties). And masking is noticeably more observed now than even a few weeks ago - we were out in Amherst again last weekend and despite being a small town they have a mask mandate back in place. We don't have mask mandates in the towns in the north of the state, which is odd.

Anyway, all of this - along with, presumably, people getting a bit more cautious after seeing cases rise - means that positivity has dropped below 2% now, and that cases have definitely begun to fall slowly.

Which is a big relief to me, because I felt like the return to school was going to bring a wave of new clusters and therefore new infections. This hasn't been borne out in the data yet.

Comment

I would posit that Amherst is more cautious because of the transient nature of the population in university towns

Comment

My 14 year old stepdaughter just got her first Pfizer jab. The school only has vaccines scheduled for 19th October, but we managed to get her onto a trial, for which the first element is getting a dose of Pfizer. She doesn't now have to continue the trial if she doesn't want to (involves a lot of blood testing and time, plus a second jab which could be one of four different vaccines including an as yet unapproved one), but all worth it just for her to get the vaccine early.

Comment

The odd thing about the QR passport — now required at all provincial restaurants along with photo ID — is that no one ever scans it. They look at it, that's all. Given that you're masked, making the photo ID pretty useless, the whole exercise is no more than another piece of covid theatre, like hand sanitizers .

Comment

Just had my booster

Comment

Mrs. NS has just had hers too.

Comment

I'm still not convinced of the necessity of boosters for most people. Most of the data I've seen is on falling antibodies in blood-work lab stuff rather than real world epidemiological evidence of people getting sick.

But if I was offered a booster, I'd take it in a heartbeat as extra insurance.

Comment

I thought the recent studies from Israel suggest the need for a booster after six months.

I'm wondering if I should go to a no questions asked walk in clinic to get one when my six months is up.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                              I'm still not convinced of the necessity of boosters for most people. Most of the data I've seen is on falling antibodies in blood-work lab stuff rather than real world epidemiological evidence of people getting sick.

But if I was offered a booster, I'd take it in a heartbeat as extra insurance.
                                              I have no idea if it adds anything to my antibody levels, but as I'm over 50 and had my second shot over 6 months ago, I'm eligible to walk in and have it. So I did. Depressingly, we're in the middle of the biggest wave of cases yet, and I had the vaccination centre to myself... Except for the 6 medical staff.

Comment

My girlfriend and I did bite our tongues when my mum told us her and my dad had been to get their boosters a week or two back. First-world countries giving out boosters already only continues to act as a drag on getting first and second doses into people in countries where rollout remains a big issue. But if you're offered it and don't go for it then it'll get given to someone else in your first-world country anyway, since by that point the decision as to where to allocate it (in as much as the people who make these decisions actually consider their options rather than just grab with both hands) has been made. On reflection, I am selfishly relieved my parents went for theirs, and if I were in ad hoc's position, living in a country where so few people are willing to get even one dose, I'd get my booster and then walk round the block a few times and ask for another just to be on the safe side.*

The Argentine government will have a decision to make on it in a while, I would think, although it seems Sputnik V might offer longer-lasting initial protection, and most of the (small number of) people here who had their second dose six or more months ago will have had two doses of that, so they might not decide for some time. I wonder what people like my girlfriend's dad (Sputnik V followed by Moderna) and me (AstraZeneca followed by Pfizer) might be offered as boosters in the future.

*Not really.

Comment

From what I've read, there will be a whole lot of vaccines expiring rather than going to other countries, so I'm not sure boosters is really the issue. Vaccine hoarding is. (Although a patent waiver is actually the best solution.)

Comment

I'm also curious on the booster front as to what I'll be allowed to get, having got the forgotten (in the US) J&J vaccine initially (6 months ago yesterday, as a matter of fact).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X