No announcement yet.

The COVID-19 Vaccination Progress Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got an impromptu text from CVS today about vaccines for over 12s. They haven't texted me in over a year before that - there is very much a push right now.

Comment

Hong Kong has very low vaccine take up, less than 15%, despite vaccines being available for free for all over 16s. Hesitancy seems to be driven largely by two factors. 1) Hong Kong has been so effective at controlling cases that relatively few people have died from Covid-19 so people don't fear it as much as in other places. 2) Nobody trusts the government after the recent protest crackdowns.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-vaccine-drive

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
        Was chatting with some Manhattan friends and neighbours about this, all of whom live in multi-unit buildings like ours that have had mask mandates in common areas, limits on numbers in lifts, etc for over a year by now.

None of us have seen any indication of any desire for relaxation, nor do any of us expect one for months (if then).

As I have noted before, much of the national discourse around masks feels very removed from our daily experience.
        Very few people here would attempt to share a lift with someone outside their bubble.

I speak to people in Madrid and Sevilla, for example, who see no immediate reason to lift restrictions.

Comment

All very efficient in my local clinic - went down slightly early to get a parking space, so arrived soon after five, called on schedule and Pfizered up at 5.15, and out the door at 5.30. If anything, the flu jab before Christmas was a deeper prick - not even a sore arm to report thus far, and hopefully it stays that way come the morning.

Comment

Got my appointment, Tuesday 18th ,Croke Park ( 20 minutes walk away) , Pfizer biontec. I'll be glad to have it.

Comment

Still no invitation for a 58 year old in NL. I know it should be imminent, but I'm just beginning to wonder if I've fallen through an administrative crack?

Comment

That's awful

Is there any way to check without jeopardising your chances?

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                  Yeah, I can't imagine being comfortable not wearing my mask outdoors if I'm in a somewhat crowded area where I have a high chance of walking by someone else, or inside a store even not next to someone outside of my household.
                  The chances of catching it walking past someone outside are utterly tiny - they would basically need to cough directly in your face. Transmission happens indoors. To catch it outside you would likely need to be standing next to an infected person for minutes on end.

Comment

Janik, fair enough, but a tiny risk is a risk. I shall continue with my mask.

Comment

They really have the age thing down perfect over here. I just got a text from my mate, he's 6 weeks younger than me, and is getting the jab on Tuesday as well, 1 hour 45 minutes after I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                        The chances of catching it walking past someone outside are utterly tiny - they would basically need to cough directly in your face. Transmission happens indoors. To catch it outside you would likely need to be standing next to an infected person for minutes on end.
                        Never bothered with masks outside myself although i have bever been in a tightly packed crowd where I might wear one.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post

Never bothered with masks outside myself although i have bever been in a tightly packed crowd where I might wear one.
                          Same here.

Comment

Likewise, except for dropping the cub off at school or picking him up from after school club. There are a lot of people in a small area then.

Comment

Why then is mask wearing compulsory in many places, outside?

Comment

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...perts-weigh-in

"So, whether people choose to don a mask outside should, again, depend on the activity. Popescu doesn’t see much reason for solo cyclists to wear a mask, though cyclists traveling in tighter groups or around many pedestrians should wear one. Similarly, joggers really only need to put on a mask or pull up a neck gaiter when passing someone.

“If you are running up behind someone jogging, you’ll be running into what they exhale in their slipstream,” Lee says, so wear a mask until you’re past them.

If swimming, masks are obviously impractical, but they’re also unnecessary if people from different households are staying at least six feet apart and no one is shouting directly at someone else’s face, Lee says.

Hikers can leave masks off unless they’ll be passing within six feet of one another. Even then, masks aren’t that necessary for brief encounters or passing unless hikers are breathing heavily. That said, donning your mask has symbolic value as well.

“I do think it’s an important expression of solidarity,” Lee says. “It is an important message that it doesn’t take much to pull your mask on for a few seconds while you’re passing someone.”

Popescu agrees. “It’s a mixture of respect and acknowledging that, even if it’s brief and the risk is very low, it’s the right thing to do,” she says."

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                  Not for clinical reasons that's for sure.

Comment

Based on wandering around a park and downtown Burlingame for an hour or so yesterday, either almost everybody is unvaccinated or they're paying no attention to the CDC's dumb mask comments this week.
                                    I'll just keep wearing mine, and I'm not sure if I know anyone around here who is chomping at the bit to stop (quite the opposite, really).

Have we done the Yankees on here already:
                                    https://www.npr.org/2021/05/14/99687...-expected-this

Comment

Yeah, outside yesterday I saw mostly everyone still wearing a mask.

Comment

I definitely don't enjoy wearing a mask outside. I like being in the outside for fresh air and sun on my skin. If other people want to wear masks outside it is, of course, no skin off my nose. But I feel like I'm still getting judged for it.

On a general point about indoor masking - I'm going to keep doing it for a while despite being fully vaccinated. But if the current infection trajectory continues as it is in the state, I imagine that I'll be much more relaxed about it in a month or so. It's a combination of factors: vaccination levels and the fact that almost nobody in the state is infected. At that point, if I forgot to take my mask out of the car, as sometimes happens, I won't necessarily rush back to get it.

As Janik observes, though, for the outdoors there remains only one case I know of recorded for outdoor transmission (there's a study from Singapore which is where the 10% number you sometimes see comes from, but all of those cases were workers on building sites where the workers spent time indoors). You basically don't catch the disease outside. If I was in a genuine crowd - in a big queue or political rally or at an outdoor concert, then the environment might be a facsimile of the indoors and I think masks make sense there. But for absolutely every casual outdoor interaction - walking past someone on the street - the risk of catching covid is up there with the risk of a leaf falling while you're talking and getting in your throat and suffocating you - it's hypothetically possible but basically doesn't happen.

Comment

Happily (or annoyingly - you decide) P had her first jab yesterday lunchtime. She's not even had so much as a sore arm. She's making me look a right mug.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                            I suspect it’s about having simple, straightforward sets of behavioural rules. ‘Just wear a mask, everywhere‘ is easy to disseminate.

Comment

Beyond the simplicity, I think areas of the US where there is more exposure to Asia and Asians, which in turn brings a familiarity with people wearing masks - particularly in winter - makes it relatively simple to adopt. I expect that wearing a mask when in public in winter will start to become a very normal thing over a long period of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                                I suspect it’s about having simple, straightforward sets of behavioural rules. ‘Just wear a mask, everywhere‘ is easy to disseminate.
                                                I've seen that argued. But I've also seen a reasonable counter-argument made - that many people don't trust the simplistic advice to act when a lot of that action is obviously unnecessary. If people see that the CDC is basically ignoring great swathes of research that say that being outside is basically safe, then they start to distrust every bit of advice from the CDC.

Comment

But, like Caja, I do think that indoor mask wearing during flu season may well become a thing for a lot of people in years to come. We've now seen how effective it is.

Comment

Mongolia has seen a really sudden increase in vaccinations, with over 50% of its population having received at least one dose now. This article gives a bit of the background, including that its closest neighbours are China and Russia who have both donated doses: https://thediplomat.com/2021/05/how-...ine-diplomacy/

Comment

Working...
                                                    X