No announcement yet.

The COVID-19 Vaccination Progress Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

None of the vaccines approved for use in the UK are licensed to be given among under-18s. Don't know if there's any plans for that to change in the future.

They are planning to vaccinate the 18-50 age group though, that'll be after the vulnerable categories have been completed. They don't seem to have decided yet what the priority order will be. Raab said this morning that the objective is for every adult to have had a first dose by September. (The Telegraph claimed the target for this is June but, you know, the Telegraph)

Comment

I work to the assumption that I'll be getting mine shortly after my 50th birthday, which will be in September 2022, if I make it that long.

Comment

Vaccination and children - information from, er, Newsround: https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/55192468

Comment

The vaccines have not been demonstrated to be safe and effective in children, as the clinical trials were done in adults. Trials in children are underway.

Comment

It seems kind of stupid to not vaccinate kids when a vaccine is proven safe and effective for them (as Matt Hancock seems to be saying in the Newsround link). They may be less likely to suffer negative consequences from catching SARS-CoV-2 themselves, but they can still transmit it, and would still provide a reservoir for the virus to remain in the population. They are part of the herd, if you like.

Comment

My girlfriend's brother, who works in a hospital, had his first dose of Sputnik V last week. Does this make me the first OTFer who knows someone who's been given the Russian one?

Comment

Following on from my slight rant on the previous page, it appears that the NHS letters issued to all the over 80s in the area was sent out from somewhere central without the knowledge of any of the local GPs or surgeries. The latter are now being deluged with calls from worried and scared pensioners who've followed the instructions in the letter and been offered a jab in St Helens but can't get there and are panicking in case they miss out on a jab. This deluge of phone calls in turn is slowing down the GPs efforts to ring all the over 80s to offer them jabs at the local clinics.

As my mate who's been undergoing cancer treatment said recently, the NHS is a fucking marvellous thing but you do wish that the different parts of it would occasionally speak to one another.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                  Following on from my slight rant on the previous page, it appears that the NHS letters issued to all the over 80s in the area was sent out from somewhere central without the knowledge of any of the local GPs or surgeries. The latter are now being deluged with calls from worried and scared pensioners who've followed the instructions in the letter and been offered a jab in St Helens but can't get there and are panicking in case they miss out on a jab. This deluge of phone calls in turn is slowing down the GPs efforts to ring all the over 80s to offer them jabs at the local clinics.

As my mate who's been undergoing cancer treatment said recently, the NHS is a fucking marvellous thing but you do wish that the different parts of it would occasionally speak to one another.
                  Yes, this is exactly the same with my mum. She got the letter and signed up for a jab in Stevenage (about an hour's drive away, and she no longer drives further than about 10 miles). Luckily they';re s system in the village that means she can get a lift there and back. However, when she spoke to a friend yesterday, she learned that there would be local jabs too, in the village where her GP is, 3 miles away. She'll still go to Stevenage I think, but hope she can get the booster closer.

Comment

I'm reasonably sure that the NHS organisation of this is good which is why so many people have been vaccinated so far. Unfortunately some of the communication is very poor. 'Wait and we will contact you,' is insufficient because the longer you wait, the more you worry that a letter might have been lost in the post and you've missed your appointment, or your name has, for some reason, been missed off the list, or something else. This is where we are with my mother who is 92 and hasn't heard anything yet. On top of that, her sister-in-law, my auntie, who is ten years younger, now has her appointment. I understand that this is being organised by the NHS and that individual GP surgeries are not, in general, involved so they don't want people clogging the 'phone lines. My mother had cause to speak to her surgery on another matter last week, so she raised this and they could only confirm this and say that she would be contacted in due course. There is no other reassurance available than that. And it really doesn't help that the government is now crowing about getting on to the over-70s.

Comment

She's just had a call. Tea-time on Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                        She's just had a call. Tea-time on Friday.
                        Excellent news. Coming so soon after her 'phone conversation you do wonder if she had been inadvertently missed.

Comment

The way that my dad's session was organised was that each of the local surgeries got to use the vaccination centre in turn, so the morning he had his jab all the jabees were registered at Burnham Market and that in the afternoon it would be a different health centre/surgery so I guess this might lead to age discrepancies depending on the age ranges of the people registered.

Comment

So I volunteered for the national vaccine campaign thinking that I could put my 23 years experience in the UK and Dutch health services to some good use. This morning I got an Email telling me I had been accepted - as a volunteer car park attendant. (!)

Comment

Originally posted by The_Purple_Cow View Post
                              So I volunteered for the national vaccine campaign thinking that I could put my 23 years experience in the UK and Dutch health services to some good use. This morning I got an Email telling me I had been accepted - as a volunteer car park attendant. (!)
                              Sorry mate, but you're too refined to do the actual vaccinations. We've got 70 million to get through as soon as possible. We need people with the experience of stabbing 500 people a day in the arm. So we've got the population of Portsmouth to administer the jabs.

Comment

Originally posted by Reality Checkpoint View Post
                                The way that my dad's session was organised was that each of the local surgeries got to use the vaccination centre in turn, so the morning he had his jab all the jabees were registered at Burnham Market and that in the afternoon it would be a different health centre/surgery so I guess this might lead to age discrepancies depending on the age ranges of the people registered.
                                I'm not sure what method they are using where my mother is. The person in the surgery didn't know either but suggested alphabetical order of surnames might come into it. Given that our surname is in the second half of the alphabet and the area my mother lives in has a large elderly population, that could be right, but it wouldn't explain why my auntie was invited first.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

Sorry mate, but you're too refined to do the actual vaccinations. We've got 70 million to get through as soon as possible. We need people with the experience of stabbing 500 people a day in the arm. So we've got the population of Portsmouth to administer the jabs.
                                  Hahahah, Good thing Jim Davidson is no longer on tour..............

Comment

My dad's scheduled for Wednesday (as mentioned upthread), and my mother is now scheduled for Saturday. Apparently they're doing it strictly by age, and my dad's older. They're both getting their shots in Salisbury Cathedral.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                                      My dad's scheduled for Wednesday (as mentioned upthread), and my mother is now scheduled for Saturday. Apparently they're doing it strictly by age, and my dad's older. They're both getting their shots in Salisbury Cathedral.
                                      "famous not just in Europe, but in the whole world. It’s famous for its 123-metre spire, it’s famous for its clock, the first one ever created in the world, which is still working"

Comment

Well, my dad is done, at least. First dose in the middle of December, second at the end of last week. I'm delighted for him. He's basically spent almost a year alone apart from socially distanced visits from my sister (his support bubble), starting only a few months after my mum died, and he's managed really well.

Comment

My mum gets hers on Thursday, and all of her local friends who are 70 years+ has been given a similar appointment.

My wife noted last night that if Portugal were vaccinating at the same rate as the UK, half the country would be vaccinated by now. For once, it seems like something being rolled out in the UK is being done competently.

Comment

Oh ****ing hell Steveeee, you just had to go and jinx it, didn't you?

Comment

When I had a flu jab recently they had a one way system and were doing one every 30 seconds. I thought it would be like that. My son works in a care home and is having his tonight. I can see from here he’s been standing outside for 15 minutes in a very small queue. If this is the speed they’ll be rolling it out I’m worried.

Comment

Through a bit of fortune Mrs G got the vaccine today. Her boss told her that the trust she works for has completed their first run and the vaccine is now available to all employees. She logged on at around 0830, was able to pick from about one hundred slots and was done by 1600.

Comment

Woohoo, just got my slots. March 3rd and March 24th (because Romania does it properly with a 3 week gap to the booster)

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                    Woohoo, just got my slots. March 3rd and March 24th (because Romania does it properly with a 3 week gap to the booster)
                                                    That's really good news.

I'm concerned that leaving more than a 3 week gap could have some really bad consequences here.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X