No announcement yet.

The COVID-19 Vaccination Progress Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We got a very specific breakdown yesterday on number of doses given so far, and the upcoming schedule for the first quarter. The Pfizer vaccine is being used in care homes and hospitals, for both staff and patients. The first shipment of the Moderna vaccine arrived this week, and as it's more transportable, is going to reserves in remote areas. Assuming testing and approval is given, we'll receive early shipments of Astra Zeneca and Janssen vaccines to coincide with the general provincial roll-out of 80-and-under inoculations.

Comment

My eldest daughter (junior NHS doctor up in Newcastle upon Tyne) gets the Pfizer jab today. I'm so relieved about that - will be even more so if/when she arrives COVID-free at the end of the "becoming effective" time delay of however many days it is. Loads of her colleagues have been done already.

Comment

THat's brilliant news, though (ultra in-joke here, apologies OTFers) "Loads of her colleagues have been done already" made me think, coming from you, of queues of people in white coats waiting outside KD's office.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
          My eldest daughter (junior NHS doctor up in Newcastle upon Tyne) gets the Pfizer jab today. I'm so relieved about that - will be even more so if/when she arrives COVID-free at the end of the "becoming effective" time delay of however many days it is. Loads of her colleagues have been done already.
          That jab-protection lag is important. I heard about someone who received the vaccination but then contracted the virus a few days afterwards. Vaccinees need to avoid lowering their guard just because they've had an armful of the good stuff.

Comment

[to wingco] ha ha! That is both ultra-in joke and also pretty "random" (as they used to say in those Armstrong and Miller Spitfire pilot sketches). Have you been looking at our old school alumni FB page recently or something wingco?

Comment

Neither my 86 year old vulnerable mother or the MiL (81, not vulnerable) have had an invite to be vaccinated yet (Sefton council area). I'm in group 8 so not expecting anything to come my way before the summer, by which time we should have a much better idea whether there's any emerging ill-effects from having the jab (though not long term, obviously).

My nephew in Scotland is a dentist, and he's been trained up and readied to start vaccinating people. From what he's said it's a decent gig financially, especially when your day job isn't paying what it used to (although I should stress that this isn't his primary motivation in getting trained up to do the job).

Comment

Of course your nephew wants the gig. His job is staring at diseased teeth all day, of course he'll jump at the chance of dealing with non-diseased arms for a while.

Comment

England's mass vaccination hubs: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-55566404

Not sure if I'll be sent there, but I can walk to Epsom racecourse, which is handy.

Comment

Still no word at all for my parents in South Wiltshire. A relative (also in his 80s) in Dorset is getting his second shot tomorrow.

Comment

EU vaccination rates per capita:

https://twitter.com/NextIrishGE/status/1347192121128869889

Comment

Unless I'm unable to use Twitter properly (and this is a distinct possibility) it would appear that they've only quoted 17 out of the EU27 countries, meaning that Ireland is halfway down, rather than in the top third, as the tweet would appear to imply.

Comment

https://twitter.com/nextirishge/status/1347192123049857032

Comment

My father-in-law has an appointment to get his first dose on Monday.

A friend who works for the NHS, but in a back office function, received his first dose today.

Comment

In Romania yesterday a smallish town couldn't get enough health care people to agree to be vaccinated (I know, I know, there's a ludicrous amount of vaccinephobia here), so the mayor sent out a call for volunteers from older or at risk people. Then the national Ministry of Health stepped in and said he couldn't do that as there was a process. So as far as I know this was not resolved, and the vaccine (which needs to be used fairly quickly for refrigeration reasons) had to be thrown away. Fucking dicks.

Comment

Pops (82, Hastings) has his first jab appointment on Saturday

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                A friend who works for the NHS, but in a back office function, received his first dose today.

Same here. But what about me, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                  In Romania yesterday a smallish town couldn't get enough health care people to agree to be vaccinated (I know, I know, there's a ludicrous amount of vaccinephobia here), so the mayor sent out a call for volunteers from older or at risk people. Then the national Ministry of Health stepped in and said he couldn't do that as there was a process. So as far as I know this was not resolved, and the vaccine (which needs to be used fairly quickly for refrigeration reasons) had to be thrown away. Fucking dicks.
                                  I'm told something similar happened in Reigate yesterday. Well, the chucking out anyway. I don't think anyone tried to find anyone extra to have one, once the level of DNAs became apparent.

(Did Not Attend)

Comment

My father (not quite 80, nor in a care home, but deemed clinically extremely vulnerable) is supposed to be getting his first shot on Friday. No word about my mum.

Comment

My parents may - depending on deliveries - be getting their second dose on Saturday. I'm wondering from afar whether their surgery is doing what it can to get as many second doses in before the government implements guidelines forcing them to do single-dose only.

Comment

Not as bad as I thought for us.

Comment

My ninety year old mother-in-law still hasn't been contacted, but my father's cousin, who's the same age, has had his jab. They live less than a quarter of a mile from each other.

Comment

My mum had hers today, as did my aunt (Canvey and east London). Apparently it was very well-organised, and nice people all round - and Canvey had some lovely music playing throughout...

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

I'm told something similar happened in Reigate yesterday. Well, the chucking out anyway. I don't think anyone tried to find anyone extra to have one, once the level of DNAs became apparent.

(Did Not Attend)
                                              Why the fuck would people not attend if they'd been contacted and said they would?

I presume with that amount that it's not a handful of people not turning up.

Comment

After some uncertainty, my wife and her colleagues heard yesterday that they will receive their second jabs on Sunday as scheduled.

Comment

My mother had a call from her GP offering her a first jab today, enquired if her allergies to penicillin and tetanus made any difference and was told "Oh, we're not offering vaccination to anyone with allergies for the moment".

Two things there - firstly, why didn't her GP know about her allergies, given that they must've had her records out to determine her age etc., and secondly I've been online tonight and the advice is that you can have the vaccine if you're penicillin allergic, unless you're allergic to any of the constituents of the vaccine (afaik she isn't). Anyway, looks like she'll be shielding for a while longer if that's how they're going to play it.

Comment

My mother-in-law has been contacted today. Hopefully that means it'll be soon.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X