Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    Must. Resist. Urge. To. Click. On. "***Don't Select This Option***"
    I hope, if someone does, it then channels its inner Douglas Adams and changes to DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION AGAIN

Comment

Some of the members of my team had the first dose last week*, so if I had signed up, I could have been jabbed by now.

But I didn't sign up, as I don't believe that anyone who can continue to work at home should be prioritised, certainly not over the front line staff in the trust. Nor should the second, third or tenth priority of the trust be the staff who can work at home. I'd rather they give the vaccine to vulnerable people outside of the trust before me. There's a number of people who should get the the jab ahead of my 70+ dad too.

A few people have told me that I should get it to protect my partner. But considering that 95% of the time my partner and I are in the same space, I don't think my vaccination would protect them — so the stubbornness of my view remains (and luckily my partner agrees).

*This took place in Berkshire for those interested

Comment

I'm terrified that if I click ***Don't Select This Option*** I will forfeit my right to receive the vaccine.

Comment

My parents (83 and 87, Wiltshire) have also still heard nothing.
          I imagine that there aren't that many people in their 80s (or older) that don't have some sort of additional risk factor.

Comment

I keep coming back to this thread just to check if somebody has finally pressed the big red DO NOT PRESS button

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
              The complete lack of apparent structure in the US is shocking given how long the national and state governments have had to plan for this (although not shocking when you know who the national government is).
              I'm not surprised, but it's still depressing reading this thread and seeing people who haven't gotten it, but know if they're in some group and might have some idea when it will be their turn, and knowing that we'll have nothing like that here and it will just be a big free-for-all, with all of the responsibility put on the people themselves to navigate the process on their own. I'm expecting to see stories of people who get the first shot but aren't able to get an appointment for the second round, or there will be no supplies for the second round, and they'll have to scramble to get it from a different location, etc.

Comment

There's no plan been published here yet.

Comment

Originally posted by lambers View Post
                  Some of the members of my team had the first dose last week*, so if I had signed up, I could have been jabbed by now.

But I didn't sign up, as I don't believe that anyone who can continue to work at home should be prioritised, certainly not over the front line staff in the trust. Nor should the second, third or tenth priority of the trust be the staff who can work at home. I'd rather they give the vaccine to vulnerable people outside of the trust before me. There's a number of people who should get the the jab ahead of my 70+ dad too.

A few people have told me that I should get it to protect my partner. But considering that 95% of the time my partner and I are in the same space, I don't think my vaccination would protect them — so the stubbornness of my view remains (and luckily my partner agrees).
                  I respect and admire this altruistic stance (though I will freely admit that I would accept an early vaccine unless it meant trampling across others to do so), but I was also wondering whether your refusal led to someone more vulnerable being able to be vaccinated; that's to say, was the gesture noble but symbolic, or did it have a small though important knock-on effect?

Comment

Good news about the UK use authorisation granted to the Ox-AZ vaccine. The company is talking about delivering 2m doses per week.

As regards oldies receiving their jabs, care home residents and staff are higher up the priority list: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...19-vaccination

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                      My parents (83 and 87, Wiltshire) have also still heard nothing.
                      I imagine that there aren't that many people in their 80s (or older) that don't have some sort of additional risk factor.
                      My 80+ uncle in Wiltshire has had his.

Comment

There was a Big Red Button next to the resources room door where I used to work. Gas cutoff, IIRC. It was at shoulder height, directly ahead of me as I rounded a corner, and every working day for nearly 30 years, I had to tell myself not to press it. I toyed with the idea of asking for a go on my last day.

Parents have had first dose, don't know when I'll get a shot. I'm in group 8, but my neighbour who works in an ITU reckons I'll be "fine" being "fit and slim." This doesn't make me feel more confident as I know how much that padded jacket was concealing.

Comment

Just noticed that Gloucestershire Live is reporting nearly 10% of Gloucestershire residents have been vaccinated now. I'm assuming they mean first dose by that. Even given the county's skewed demographic, I'm astonished that front-line health/care workers + over-75s accounts for 10% of the population.

Comment

My wife (care home worker) is scheduled for her second jab next week. She had some stiffness and a headache after the first one but nothing major. Mother-in-law (86) had her first one last week and her partner (85) had his a few days before that. I guess at 60 I'm in one of the earlier groups but don't expect to get anything for a couple of months unless the Oxford vaccine is rolled out at pace.

Our daughter, who has been trying unsuccessfully to conceive a second child for the past few years (suffering a miscarriage and one failed round of private IVF along the way) says that she won't take the vaccine yet as there are no guarantees that it has no effect on fertility or pregnancy - indeed, the Government's own advice is not to have the vaccine if you are trying to get pregnant. It appears that some of her younger female work colleagues are also going to hold off on the same grounds, and my wife reports similar concerns voiced by some of her co-workers. Hopefully by the time their turn comes there may be some certainty.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

I respect and admire this altruistic stance (though I will freely admit that I would accept an early vaccine unless it meant trampling across others to do so), but I was also wondering whether your refusal led to someone more vulnerable being able to be vaccinated; that's to say, was the gesture noble but symbolic, or did it have a small though important knock-on effect?
                              It's a good question, and there is a strong likelihood that the person my trust would have designated as 'next in line' is someone with the same demographics as me, but without my stance. However, I figured that there will be people further down the list who are more deserving – so there will be bump-ups for those in need as well as those... less in need.

It may only make a small difference, but obviously the more people who do likewise, the bigger effect.

Comment

P.S. big laughs for the renaming of option 2 Nocturnal Submission

Comment

Still no word on vaccination for Pops in Hastings.

Originally posted by lambers View Post
                                  P.S. big laughs for the renaming of option 2 Nocturnal Submission
                                  Made me smile too. And more likely to press it, obvs.
                                  Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 30-12-2020, 13:14.

Comment

I think it will start to go better, even in the US. Because it can’t possibly get much worse and because Biden will actually try to have a system.

But it will be better in some places than others and people in rural areas and those without insurance or a file with a doctor are going to have issues.

I’d also be worried about people that have trouble accessing good information. So many people rely on TV (like Fox), Facebook and random gossip for their “news.”*

Around here, it’s not too hard to find out where and how to get a test if you can google it or read the paper thoroughly, but somehow a lot of people are calling the hospital or just don’t know.

It will be the same with the vaccine, I guess. Hopefully, the health system, such as it is, can be more proactive, but it’s all a patchwork. Most counties in PA, including mine, don’t have its own department of health.

*But I suppose that’s true in most countries.

Comment

Public Health England guidelines.

https://twitter.com/PHE_uk/status/1344233533099945986?s=20

Comment

A lot of puppies have died and I know who the culprits were!

If they 'fess up to OTF I won't be forced to shame them by publishing their names. In bold text.

Comment

Couple of points I'd note from AdeC's BC guidelines.

1 - There doesn't seem to be any mention of pre-existing conditions. Is there a different view in Canada about whether people with severe asthma or COPD or such should get priority, or do they come into one of the other groups and I just haven't noticed?

2 - The line "Staying physically distant from people we don’t know" is problematic to me - it seems to imply that we're fine to be close to people we know, which shouldn't be the case.

Comment

Ox-AZ vaccine is to be made in Wrexham. Up to a quarter of a billion doses apparently.

Comment

Both parents over 80 in Leicester received the first jab before Christmas and are scheduled for 2nd jab on 9th January. I've only been able to see them twice in 2020 (once earlier this month when I stood in their garden and talked loudly for 2 hours) so am pleased that I can hopefully see them more next year, especially as I'm their only remaining son/daughter.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                                If I were getting vaccinated in England I'd almost certainly be switching from group 9 to group 8 before group 8 got the jab

Comment

Very weird that there's no mention of teachers, shop-floor supermarket workers and the like in those groups.

Comment

I'm currently staying with my father as his live-in carer over the Christmas/New Year period, he's 96 and totally blind but his local health centre has had no information about vaccines at all. We're just hoping that the Ox-AZ jab will make it to the Norfolk coast soon.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X