The COVID-19 Vaccination Progress Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think anyone knows.

The one-month or so gap produces terrific efficacy results, so why test further would have been the pharmaceutical companies reaction, I presume, but whether those rates then reduce or remain stable if the follow up is delayed is, I believe, pretty much unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
      Has there been any research (at all) on what effect delaying the second dose has on efficacy of the vaccine, or is the population of the UK now undergoing some sort of weird clinical trial that nobody's consented to?
      The latter. Although I think there's a fairly widespread knowledge from previous vaccines that it is probably just as effective after three months as after one. But they obviously haven't had the time or money to run massive trials with a range of different time-spans.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
        There seems to be some anecdotal evidence that the side effects are more unpleasant after the second dose than the first.
        My dad had no effect at all from his second dose. My mum was absolutely exhausted and knocked out for three days.

Neither had any side-effects from their first dose.

Comment

Our dad, 75, has been called for his first jab on Monday coming.

Comment

"Our"? What are you trying to tell us?

Comment

Well, I always say our dad 'cos he's married to our mam.
              I dunno, just 'cos you're from the wrong side of the isogloss.

Comment

And I don't think their mam & dad have heard yet.

Comment

Interesting regional statistics. The roll-out seems rather uneven, though not dramatically so perhaps: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55663158

Comment

Bloody hell! Shades of the Indian Mutiny/Indian Rebellion and the greased paper cartridges! Also fertile ground for racist agitation: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55666407

Comment

Romania\s president got vaccinated today, to encourage people to do the same, but all everyone can do is talk about how ripped he is now that they've seen his biceps

https://twitter.com/KlausIohannis/status/1350008084945625088

Comment

Just back from taking my 96 year old dad to get his first jab at a vaccination centre in Snettisham near Kings Lynn. All went very smoothly and no side effects as yet.

Comment

My sister (NHS worker who came out of semi retirement to go full time again when things kicked off) got hers on Thursday.

Hearing a few people from work who have taken their parents in for theirs.

Also spoke to someone who got it fortuitously because their spouse works at a GP and they had no-shows.

Comment

Arm much better now. No other ill effects have appeared.

Comment

My dad has had his second jab with no side effects, and my ex wife had her first earlier this afternoon. I only hope that she remembers that being vaccinated doesn't mean that she can just go straight back to normal. I'm not especially optimistic that she will.

Comment

I think that might be why they've started with the oldest, they aren't likely to be super spreaders of the vaccine only protects you and not others.

Comment

Canada has given 503,419 innoculations so far to 1.3% of the population (66% of doses distributed.) No more vaccine is expected until early April. Clearly the authorities are going to run out well before then.

Comment

Spoke to two friends today. One friend's 92 year old nana up North has had both doses. Other friend's NHS radiologist husband has had his first dose.

Comment

So my mum had her vaccine today. Apparently some people have been getting to the centre then refusing to take the jab if they are being offered the Pfizer version because, and get this, brexit.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                                        So my mum had her vaccine today. Apparently some people have been getting to the centre then refusing to take the jab if they are being offered the Pfizer version because, and get this, brexit.
                                        It has been reported elsewhere that people are saying they want the British vaccine and not the foreign one. Sometimes I just don't understand people.

Comment

Originally posted by Reality Checkpoint View Post
                                          Just back from taking my 96 year old dad to get his first jab at a vaccination centre in Snettisham near Kings Lynn. All went very smoothly and no side effects as yet.
                                          It's quite possible that my mother in law gave it to him.

Off topic but have you ever witnessed the Snettisham Spectacular - a murmuration of thousands of knot flushed out from the mudflats by a rapid incoming tide? It can be unreliable but it's well worth catching if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                                            If I had a choice I'd have the Pfizer vaccine. Stellar efficacy rate. The company has also had a UK presence since the 1950s and employs a couple of thousand people here, including 700 a few miles from me:

Comment

My mother and other residents of Formby got their NHS letters inviting them to get vaccinated today. I went online to try and book her an appointment and found it offering me (her) the choice of St.Helens (half an hour away by car, much further by public transport) or Manchester, Leeds, Macclesfield and other far flung places that she has not got a fucking hope in hell of reaching (as a shaky 87 year old who doesn't wish to use public transport).

We've fucked that off and will ring her GP on Monday for an appointment that is genuinely local, but some less confident old biddies are booking themselves into St Helens (in Knowsley, one of the places in England with the very highest rates of infection) and working out routes on public transport via Liverpool (about 4 different trains and a taxi or bus all told). A couple we know of are planning to drive, I'm not sure how long since they've been on a motorway but it's not recent and given how they drive round the village I wouldn't want to be on the M57 when they attempt it. It's madness, they shouldn't be offering St Helens as a "local" centre to people of this age and level of mobility.

Comment

With all the talk about the vaccination of adults I haven't heard a single thing about the inoculation of under-18s. Is there any sort of plan for youngsters?

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                                  With all the talk about the vaccination of adults I haven't heard a single thing about the inoculation of under-18s. Is there any sort of plan for youngsters?
                                                  As far as I know there are currently no specific plans to vaccinate anyone under the age of 50 unless they have an underlying condition.

Edit: in the UK. Don't know about elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

As far as I know there are currently no specific plans to vaccinate anyone under the age of 50 unless they have an underlying condition.

Edit: in the UK. Don't know about elsewhere.
                                                    I was under the impression that that non-vulnerable 18-50s in the UK would be vaccinated as soon as the vulnerable groups had been processed, though I don't know if it would be on the basis of descending age bands or in a more random manner, (I'd assume the former, at least until you got into the 30s). But I've heard nuttin about kids and adolescents.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X