The COVID-19 Vaccination Progress Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimski View Post

Are you sure it's that low, Janik? All I could find from a quick search is this report from 12 August -

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/7...h-a-first-dose

That is about first doses, but presumably if one is willing to have one dose, one isn't opposed to being vaccinated.
    The numbers I was looking at (from the most recent ONS monitoring report) were double-dosed, as of last week. 53-55% range for the three categories covering 18-30 year olds (18-19, 20-25 and 26-30).
    The comparison is a bit apples with oranges as well, as the full population of 18-30 year olds will include a noticeable percentage where the personal benefit of the vaccine is not ambiguous as it would be for a fit person of that age range with no known underlying conditions (some healthy young people like this die of COVID, we know that, but it's extremely rare... and some healthy young people also die of the COVID vaccine, which again is exceedingly rare). That percentage would drop dramatically in the Premiership Footballer cohort, though. The sort of reasons why an 18-30 year old would clearly benefit from being vaccinated being typically incompatible with a career as a professional athlete.
    It would be tricky to factor those individuals whose motivation is something else on top of their general social conscious/ethical responsibilities out from the stats. But that would be needed to have a proper like-with-like comparison of the level of selfishness and entitlement of Premiership Footballers against their general peer group. My unsubstantiated estimation is it is not much different, though.

Comment

It's interesting then - does this just mean that that age group hasn't yet had time to get the second vaccine, or are they not bothering/

Comment

A mix of the two, I suspect.

That the curves haven't reach an asymptote implies there are some who are still getting their jabs. In fact the dose 1 curves are yet to totally flatten for these age groups, either. People are just taking a while to get around to it, which makes a little sense I think if you consider that there are plenty who are not bothering at all, so there ought to be some for whom it is a toss-up that just falls on the side of going ahead. But for those people it might not seem a particularly high priority. When it was convenient/not going to interfere with other plans/etc/blah blah.

The other, that there will be some who are just not going to bother with a second dose, is implicit in all the other cohorts. Because this is true across the board. The uptake of second dose for those 50+ is basically at it's asymptotes. Hardly anyone of these age groups is actively seeking a second dose now (particular unusual circumstances like delicatemoth's aside, which will be a scattering at most (I don't know dm's age to be clear, it's just her story is usefully illustrative of how a second dose might be delayed without patient intent)). And in each age group, the number having two doses is a handful of percentage points down on those having had one. There will be some who have had a jab and consider it as "done, I'm vaccinated" and just won't let themselves hear anything further.

Comment

Is this a real ad? I mean I presume it's on after the watershed but even so, Australia is f*kn brilliant

Comment

Looks more like a clip from a sketch show which is on YouTube or similar. Can't see that getting on broadcast TV.

Comment

Which two countries in the EU have terribly low vaccination rates? Have a look at this and see if you can guess

Comment

Blimey - that's bad. I've seen the equivalent graph with just the other nations, and not Romania and Bulgaria, and the UK looks like the outlier on that, but this is something else...

Comment

Good thread from Burn-Murdoch

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1447617110910382081?s=21

Comment

Very odd couple of moments reading that thread, first when an Argentine statistician he mentions in the penultimate tweet turns out to be following me when I visited his profile, and then when I went back to JB-M's own profile and realised he's following me as well. Then I realised I'm still logged into Twitter on my football account in this browser, even though I've not used it since March of 2020 (other than to retweet podcast stuff).

Comment

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1448601433989947392?s=21

Comment

Just booked my booster.

Comment

I had an appointment for my booster at 2.45 today, at a drive-through place under a mile from my house. Apparently everybody else in the county must have decided today was the day to get their boosters also, as it took over 2 hours to drive that mile, and when I got there they closed the gates in front of me.

Comment

That sucks SA.

Our pediatrician just send out emails saying that in light of the FDA's movement on child vaccinations, they were going to have a vaccine drive for 5-11 year-olds in a week and a half. I just spent 15 minutes on hold and made appointments for both kids and am feeling a little giddy about it.

Comment

Sorry to hear that SA, hopefully next time around will be successful.

Scratchmonkey, that is great news. I love it when one of my 6th graders proudly tell me they got vaccinated on their 12th birthday. Crossing fingers that a great deal more of the 11 yr. olds will get jabbed in the near future.

Got my booster today, a 3rd Pfizer.

Comment

Got my booster coming up on Sunday morning. Hopefully it'll be a Pfizer or Moderna this time. I'd like eventually to complete the set.

I wish I could get the cub vaccinated but British children don't get Covid. The government said so. Must be their stiff upper lips or something.

Comment

Bleep, I've been boostered...

Comment

Bleep. Me too. Downloading world domination plans

Comment

My kids' school district sent out an email saying they had 500 vaccination slots for 5-11 year olds. All were taken in under 20 minutes (when I opened the email). Checking Walgreens right afterwards I was able to get my daughter an appointment next week about 10 miles away, outside school hours. There was then plenty of availability closer but only during school hours.
                                      This morning my friend was able to find only one appointment in the entire Bay Area (she has 2 eligible kids) at any time, but she could pretty much choose her time in Stockton.

Comment

Not horribly surprising that it pretty much exactly mirrors when shots were made available for adults then.

Our pediatrician took about two days to be entirely booked out for their scheduled clinics for the entire month of November.

Comment

I'm boosted, this time uneventfully except the nurse was hardly projecting an aura of calmness as she seemed very stressed. A situation which probably wasn't helped by the 90-year old deaf lady who came after me ("did you get a rash when you had your initial vaccinations?", "yes", "you got a rash?", "no, I was fine" and so forth).
                                          As a bonus they were running behind enough that I could in (reasonably) good conscience skip my department meeting, but not enough that I felt I was waiting an unreasonable length of time.

Comment

The dglh household will all be vaccinated at some point next week. Not sure if the kids are going to come out of school and go to the pharmacy or wait a few days to go to the school clinic.

Comment

In their usual style the Romanian government have left it to the last minute to announce new school policies. Schools have been closed here for the last two weeks, and nobody knew what would be happening on Monday. The news has now come out that individual schools will be open if 60% or more of the teachers are vaccinated, and if not, they will do school from home. The stats for each school have been published.

Now there are a number of questions here - why 60%? Why only teachers, and not students? Since the government went on record as saying that school from home doesn't work, this seems to be punishing students for their teachers' choices.... etc etc. I don't know if the goal is to nudge teachers to get vaccinated, or has some form of educational rationale (ok it clearly doesn't have the latter)

My daughter's school has 54% apparently, so she's at home. She thinks around 85% of the "regular" staff are vaxxed, but as it's an art school it has a lot of music teachers on the books, and she says the music teachers are mostly a bunch of anti-vax wankers (her words)

Comment

Boosted. I've been a bit concerned with the organisation this time around but the booking system opened up yesterday, precisely 182 days since my second dose, and offered me an appointment about 120 metres away this morning. Only problem was that it was in a pharmacy with a three-person limit inside so I had to wait to get in meaning I was technically three minutes late. I'm still bothered by the 'people not coming forward' line from the government mind. People I know can't wait to get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                                                  Boosted. I've been a bit concerned with the organisation this time around but the booking system opened up yesterday, precisely 182 days since my second dose, and offered me an appointment about 120 metres away this morning. Only problem was that it was in a pharmacy with a three-person limit inside so I had to wait to get in meaning I was technically three minutes late. I'm still bothered by the 'people not coming forward' line from the government mind. People I know can't wait to get it done.

The current booster jab rate is just over 288,000 per day, which is pretty good, though more like 400,000 would be optimal assuming delivery capacity allowed.

Comment

According to the provincial Covid site, as someone born prior to 1952 I'm "invited" to get my booster shot. Except I haven't been told how I do that. Do I contact them? If so how and where? Or will they contact me? I wish clear communication skills were a requirement for government employees.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X