No announcement yet.

The COVID-19 Vaccination Progress Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, forgot to update the thread on the most important bit of news: sadly I shall not be getting jabbed at River on Friday. They're not giving out Pfizer there, evidently. I shall instead be being vaccinated at an enormous expedition centre known (and indeed named) for being home to Argentina's largest annual livestock fair, right on one of Buenos Aires' main public squares. As if you needed any further proof that the beef obsession here is real.

Comment

One would have thought the Millionaires would insist on the "prestige" product

You may recall that I got mine in the Museum of Natural History. I hope that you don't have dodge any living livestock.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
        Yikes. Here's hoping you just happened to speak to all the ones who aren't getting it, and that absolutely everyone you didn't speak to is going to get it.
        Much of it seems to be apathy, there's none of the "they are going to put a chip in me or other anti vax nonsense", the kids seem to think that nothing can happen to them so why bother. A few aren't getting it because there parents won't allow it, some of those parents have been vaccinated and others haven't. It's all very weird. There are one or two stories of a cousin's friend getting the vaccination then dying which are difficult to disprove but probably all very Nicki Minaj.

It again comes back to the idea of the school being one of the centres of the community and providing help and services along with an education; and that's not happening.

Comment

My daughter thinks that only 3 of the kids in her class (mostly 16 year olds, a smattering of 15) have been vaccinated (out of 20 something). Mostly because their parents have decided that for them.

Comment

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1440566901604642817

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
              the kids seem to think that nothing can happen to them so why bother.
              Kids who've spent the last 18 months being British and living in the United Kingdom? I wonder where they might have got that idea from.

Comment

I'm not sure 'but' is quite the conjunction he's looking for there.

Comment

He needs a proofreader

Comment

I think it works. "Yet" would be less ambiguous, but in this case he's obviously using "But" to mean "Yet" (which is one of its meanings)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

Kids who've spent the last 18 months being British and living in the United Kingdom? I wonder where they might have got that idea from.
                      Absolutely this. Part of it is also the teenager thing of feeling completely indestructible too.

Comment

I had missed this, which is utterly outrageous

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1440914714066817024?s=21

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                          I think it works. "Yet" would be less ambiguous, but in this case he's obviously using "But" to mean "Yet" (which is one of its meanings)
                          Given the audience and the need for clear messaging, I'd go with 'Because', personally.

Comment

I don't think he's trying to say "because" though. He's trying to point out the absurdity of the fact that there are still no requirements to mask despite the numbers.

Comment

Agreed, "yet" would have been best, while "because" is valid, it isn't his point

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                I had missed this, which is utterly outrageous

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1440914714066817024?s=21
                                Do Scotland and Wales have different rules? I'd assumed the regulations were UK wide. At any rate, you can look forward to a(nother) rant on this sort of thing on episode 408 of your favourite Argentine football podcast, which will be uploaded on Thursday. Or possibly the Patreon podcast. I forget exactly when I said it. As I've been saying for a long time now, governments like the one in the UK aren't going to miss a chance to make it harder, more expensive and less pleasant for people from the Global South into the country. The pandemic is just a convenient excuse for them.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                  I don't think he's trying to say "because" though. He's trying to point out the absurdity of the fact that there are still no requirements to mask despite the numbers.
                                  True. I was being a bit flippant to be honest. If I were his copyeditor (which I'm not) I'd have stuck an ellipsis at the end rather than an exclamation mark, too. It looks more knowing and clever [/definitely more than a bit flippant]

Comment

But not all of the rich Argentines got vaccinated in Miami

What will happen to the polo season?

Comment

They're going to be opening football stadia at 50% capacity from 1 October, so I reckon the Argentina Open ought to be back to something like normal this year. The main stadium has a capacity of 30,000 and every time I've been there's been plenty of distance between groups of spectators anyway.

Comment

Also relevant: there's not really an anti-vax movement here. Somewhere in the region of 80%+ of Argentines (and residents) over the age of 50 have had at least one dose, whether in Miami or elsewhere. There have been issues with the speed of rollout (issues I have much less of a problem with now it turns out they're resulting in me getting superpowers from the AZ–Pfizer cocktail, obviously) but the general attitude of people here has been just shut up and get it in my arm now, really.

Comment

Vaccinations in the UK would appear to be slowing to a crawl now - assuming that those who've had one intend to get a second, it would seem that +/- 25% of my age group (early 40s) have no intention of getting jabbed. Which I find quite startling and disturbing tbh

Comment

That's essentially what happened in the US, though with material geographic variations as discussed passim

Delta hitting hard got some people in, as did entry requirements for things like college football games, but there are very few incentives in the Trumpiest states, which describes all of those with rates still in the 40s and 50s, which is why we are still adding about a million new cases every seven days.

Comment

I dream of these numbers. We're still below 30%

Comment

I don't understand the figures where I am. The figures for new cases have, apart from a small blip in the first week of September (bank holiday or schools going back), been coming down steadily, though not steeply, for about six weeks and we are well below the national average. Yet the vaccination figures for the borough are awful - only 63% with a single dose, and 57% doubly vaccinated, way below the national average. I can usually rationalise something about how these figures behave but this one has me stumped.
                                                Last edited by Capybara; 23-09-2021, 09:19.

Comment

Just learned that as of next week, I will be able to get a third shot. I am very aware of the arguments against the third shot (not medical ones, the global distribution of vaccines ones), but as I think that (a) Romania is already donating large amounts of its vaccines because of the idiocy of 70% of its citizens, and (b) because of aforementioned idiocy, the big wave of infections that is just beginning here will be seriously bad; I feel like getting a booster - while maybe slightly selfish - is very advisable

Comment

I was wrong, it's not 10% getting the vaccine today, it's much lower.

60 out of 900 kids. Another school in the borough did it yesterday and had less kids getting vaccinated despite having more students on roll.

Apparently our school found out last Thursday when they called NHS England about something different. Parents were then informed by email and it seems that many of those emails didn't get through.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X