No announcement yet.

The COVID-19 Vaccination Progress Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah - the bit that sucks there is the “completing his course” part of the phrasing.

Comment

Apparently not true:
      https://twitter.com/MichelleLiTV/status/1423402076000894984

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
        Yeah - the bit that sucks there is the “completing his course” part of the phrasing.
        Sorry. I wasn't really sure how else to put it, but I've seen it worded that way elsewhere.

Ursus, the other vaccines that have definitely been tested in combination with Sputnik V are AZ and Sinopharm. AZ goes fine with it (and there have been trials in other countries for that combination, not just here) but at the moment we're between tranches of it being made available, which is I suspect why they've offered Moderna today. The results from the trial combining Sputnik with Sinopharm (which uses dead virus rather than an adenovirus à la Sputnik, AZ and Moderna) will be announced in the next day or two I think, as they apparently take a bit longer to work through. Haven't heard (or, just now, been able to find) anything about a Sputnik–Pfizer combination, though.

Comment

Vaccination of 12-19 year olds is starting here soon.

Mask wearing, by the way, is to remain obligatory for anyone in a school or university.

Comment

This. So very much this.

https://twitter.com/dgurdasani1/status/1423664035468390404

Comment

Girlfriend's dad has decided to go for Moderna.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimski View Post
                If they'd done this at the end of term kids could have been on their second dose just as school started, all done on site but no. Now evidence of their winging it policy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                  Girlfriend's dad has decided to go for Moderna.
                  I think that's the right decision.

Comment

Our son has first jab next Wednesday, 2nd on 1 September.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post

I think that's the right decision.
                      Yeah, so do we (me and my girlfriend. I've not asked her brother) – especially given he's some way past the date he should have got his second Sputnik.

I think I read the other day that Chile was going to offer vulnerable demographics a third dose as a booster. Will be interesting to see how long it takes them to do the same here, but obviously the priority is on getting as many second doses into arms as possible in the next little while.

Comment

Turkey is also offering the old and the vulnerable a third booster jab, part of that is because, imho, those people have also had the less effective Sinopharm version.

Comment

I've got a few friends who, frustratingly, haven't been jabbed yet. I've engaged with them a bit in the past but not at any great length, so yesterday I decided to have a bit of a chat with one of them to try to understand his thinking.

He lives in Central America, which might have had a particular influence on his perspective, but it seems that his view is that he's been around a number of people who have contracted the virus and must therefore have had it himself but been asymptomatic. In other words, it can't harm me, so why bother with vaccination.

I won't bother detailing how the conversation progressed, but I pointed out one or two flaws in his argument and informed him that without inoculation travel to and around Europe would be extremely difficult. Given that his children and mother are in London, that should be a bit of a push factor.

Anyway, I found his position intriguing and might have a crack at the other refusnik friends. But this article is interesting and does a good job of trying to lay out the reasons of others of a similar persuasion: https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...cine-hesitancy

Comment

So he's not actually been tested at any point? He's just assuming he's had it asymptomatically?

Girlfriend's dad got his Moderna this morning, and had the rest of the day blocked out to have a nap (a few of his friends got theirs over the weekend and told him the main side effect seemed to be a need for a five-hour lie down). When my girlfriend's finished her Portuguese class we'll see how he's feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                              So he's not actually been tested at any point? He's just assuming he's had it asymptomatically?

So it would seem. It's a take, I suppose.

I pointed out that (a) he might not have been infected, (b) he might have been exposed to a low viral load(s), (c) his natural immunity might have been unusually high at the time(s) and (d) he might not fare as well against new variants.

I mean, maybe he doesn't trust the safety of the vaccine or thinks that the effects of catching the virus have been exaggerated, though I don't think that he's that stupid. Maybe he doesn't like needles or doesn't trust doctors. Any or all of them, but didn't want to say that. Who knows. But I think he now realises that however invulnerable he might feel, that isn't going to help him to travel to Europe to see his loved ones.

Comment

I arrived back in the UK on the 29th June, and had my first vaccination on 3rd July (AZ). I have now been given permission by my GP for my second dose to be administered two weeks ahead of schedule (14th August instead of 28th), as I have to return back to my job in Tanzania, and there is an increased risk of contracting COVID due to the position of the ex-President and the glacial response to the pandemic. I'll be traveling through Khartoum and Nairobi - so more risk there. Availability of vaccines in African states is still somewhat below Europe.

Comment

Good show, VT. Glad you'll be going back with some protection.

Comment

Excellent, VT, glad to read it.

My girlfriend's three-week day is tomorrow, but she's not heard anything about her second dose yet.

Comment

So the guy I work with who was holding out against vaccination for fear of side-effects has now been double jabbed, I've heard. Lucky guy got Pfizer not AZ despite being over 40, presumably since that's the one mostly being used now for vaccinating younger people. Perhaps I should have held out too?

Comment

Glad he's seen sense!

Argentina's now at 23.77% on two doses. My girlfriend still isn't one of them in spite of my post above which is now eight and a half days old. She has been in touch with the City government and they've told her they're waiting for new doses to become available and will be in touch. I hope it's OK for the time between doses to be stretched out with Sinopharm. It's not one of the vaccines used in combination with Sputnik V, so the delay isn't due to her dose going to someone who'd been jabbed with that one ages ago.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Royal_Greenwich/status/1428645480729243656?s=19

I presume the £10 voucher is common.

Comment

Lucky buggers get ten quid AND a 5G chip?
                                            Kids today, don't know they're born... <grumble grumble>

Comment

No voucher scheme here. Just teenagers happy to be jabbed.

Comment

Girlfriend got her second dose of Sinopharm today, at River.

She's since been complaining about Western imperialist capitalism, but I'm pretty sure that's because it's Monday morning tomorrow so she's got to go to work, rather than a side effect.

Comment

Comment

We really seem to have hit a sticking point in the UK.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X