The COVID-19 Vaccination Progress Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

That map is fascinating and terrifying. In our old haunt of Clapham North, only 39.4% of adults have had two doses of vaccine compared to 65.7% where I am currently. Rarely have I been so glad that we moved. What the hell is going on in London?
    The younger demographic round here is usually cited but on that basis I would have expected some catching up in recent weeks as anyone can get a vaccine now. But I don't see any real catching up. And given that young people meet each other more socially I would have also expected case rates to rocket and they have, but no more so than in other areas where there is a much higher vaccination rate.
    Last edited by Capybara; 25-07-2021, 11:51.

Comment

second jab's in, am one step closer to going back to needing an excuse for staying at home all the time. and avoiding friends etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
        I'm finally booked for next Tuesday. Janssen.
        All very smooth. 6 minutes delay. 16 or so hours later, no after effects whatsoever and that includes a gym session.

Comment

Unfortunately there are four vaccine refuseniks in my immediate and extended family circle.......

My daughter, who was concerned by the fertility scares that were circulating at the beginning of the vaccine roll-out and has yet to be convinced by all of the official reassurances. As she has had miscarriages in the past I understand why she might be worried but wish she would have more faith in the experts and pay less (preferably no) attention to the fuckwits on social media.

Her (thankfully soon to ex) husband, who is so far from being the sharpest knife in the cutlery drawer, he's more like an old wooden spoon. His main reason appears to be that old chestnut "because they don't know enough about it yet." I try not to see much of him anyway and can't talk to him about his stupid views as it makes me too angry.

A niece who was seriously ill with a post-natal blood clot last year. Again, I can see why she is concerned by the risk that the AZ vaccine carries in that regard, however minute, but there are alternatives.

Her husband, who is an otherwise intelligent man but has been in the 'all blown out of proportion, no worse than the flu' camp since Day 1 and refuses to budge from his opinion despite all of the evidence that is so far to the contrary it's quite unbelievable that anyone can still think that way. My sister-in-law (a nurse) is so exasperated by her son-in-laws idiocy she can't even bring herself to talk about him.

I think it's time that we stopped congratulating ourselves on the success of the vaccine rollout, as impressive as it has been, and start concerning ourselves far more with the other side of that coin - what is still a disturbingly high number of people who have chosen to opt out. Education and rational explanations clearly aren't working. Maybe we need a more aggressive approach.

Comment

Unless you have a medical
            exemption, no access to public transport, flights, bars, restaurants, public buildings, make life as difficult as possible for them.

Comment

My partner had his Monday, brought forward from about a month's time, so that's good. He had a bit of a bad reaction, spent yesterday in bed, seems much better today.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

All very smooth. 6 minutes delay. 16 or so hours later, no after effects whatsoever and that includes a gym session.
                Wahey!

That means we've all had at least one dose now, I think (last time I asked this it was just ursus and Sporting who said they were still waiting).

Comment

Get vaccinated and get cannabis in SF this weekend.

https://twitter.com/MattHaneySF/status/1419793291864805380

Comment

Let's open this subject up a bit and look at booster shots.

So, I was just watching CNN which mentioned comments from some big cheese at Pfizer, the CEO possibly. He said that the efficacy of their vaccine wanes after around six months, but a third jab not only improves protection levels but is extremely effective against the Delta variant. A talking head in the CNN studio then added that though two-shot efficacy does decline, it's from something like 98% to 83%, so still very high, but that protection against a severe dose of the virus remains unchanged.

So, basically, the situation is still very good but could be improved upon if there is the will to do so.

As a counterpoint, we have the issue of global vaccination rates and whether that should instead be the focus, rather than improving protection in the highly-vaccinated nations. Newsnight listed a few full vaccination figures earlier. From memory, DR Congo, Uganda and Burkino Faso were at 0% or 0. 01%. Africa as a whole was something like 5% or 7%.

Comment

You could have stopped at "CEO of Pfizer"

Comment

Can we please trade Alberta to the US, (for maybe Idaho and third round draft pick?)

Alberta will no longer require people who test positive for COVID-19 to isolate and will stop routine testing for mild symptoms, as new infections increase and a British Columbia region reimposes measures such as mandatory masking.

Dr. Deena Hinshaw, the province’s Chief Medical Officer of Health, announced the changes on Wednesday as she said it is time to treat COVID-19 as a long-term part of life in Alberta, similar to how the province approaches other respiratory viruses. Alberta will also stop contact tracing except for high-risk settings and masks will no longer be required in schools when classes resume in September.

B.C., meanwhile, reimposed mask requirements in the province’s Okanagan region in response to a spike in cases there. Non-essential travel into the region is being discouraged and activities in nightclubs will be limited.

Alberta has taken the most aggressive approach in the country to moving past COVID-19 measures and became the first in the country to lift almost all of its restrictions.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...s-masks-again/

Comment

Why is Alberta so awful?

Comment

Oil sands, mostly, laid on top of a strong "self-reliant" prairie ideology

See also South Dakota and fracking

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              Oil sands, mostly, laid on top of a strong "self-reliant" prairie ideology
                              And beneath those a strong fundamentalist, Social Credit ideology of long-standing.

Comment

I've never fully understood just how those things go together, but they obviously do. It would seem to reflect a more genuinely Christian approach to those in need than that which became dominant down here.

I need to do more reading. Canadian history is almost completely ignored in this country, even at the university level.

Comment

Seems much like the Mountain states - frontiersmen annoyed at government interference, and regarding the Eastern provinces as an aloof, "liberal elite". Presumably, the reason British Columbia, like its Pacific counterparts, remained liberal, was a greater historical trend of immigration and international trade?

Comment

Didn't the northern US plain/prairie states traditionally have a bit of an egalitarian streak from the Scandinavian and German immigration. They were incredibly white, but also that sort-of-liberal that you get in Norway: personally god-bothering and conservative but not politically. It's only once you get to the real mountain states - Wyoming, Montana, Idaho - that you used to have the libertarian frontiersman who despised the very concept of governance.

Anyway, these days I kinda like the Mountain West. We'll take Alberta if you take Florida and Alabama.

Comment

I am inclined to think that that is on the right track and that the fact that virtually everyone was white (after the indigenous population were removed) helped them to maintain their communitarian ideals, whereas the prime imperative of keeping the Black population "down" was important in moving US fundamentalists in a very different direction.

The predominantly Scots/Irish vs predominantly Nordic/German roots of the white population is also very important. It would be interesting to see the extent to which there was cross-fertilisation between Upper Midwestern Progressivism and Social Credit.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                                        Seems much like the Mountain states - frontiersmen annoyed at government interference, and regarding the Eastern provinces as an aloof, "liberal elite". Presumably, the reason British Columbia, like its Pacific counterparts, remained liberal, was a greater historical trend of immigration and international trade?
                                        There's also a large amount of temporary internal immigration to Alberta, and has been for a long time, especially from Newfoundland and the Maritimes. Mostly young males who can (or once could) make serious money in the oil patch. They do that for a few years, make enough money to buy a house, raise a family and work part time back home for the rest of their lifes. It's been like that for several decades. They're generally opposed to anything that's going to disrupt their cash flow, so solidly vote Conservative. Even more so now the wells are running dry or, more accurately, the oil isn't worth pumping anymore. This has been the pattern in Western Canadian resource industries since the white men arrived: dig it up, cut it down, pump it dry, fish it out. Then just move on and do it again.

Comment

There is exactly the same dynamic in the Dakotas/Powder River Basin, with only the geographic sources being different.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                            Didn't the northern US plain/prairie states traditionally have a bit of an egalitarian streak from the Scandinavian and German immigration. They were incredibly white, but also that sort-of-liberal that you get in Norway: personally god-bothering and conservative but not politically.
                                            This is exactly why my municipality will go bankrupt.

Comment

Comment

A jab at the circus.

Comment

Those girls in the queue are going to struggle rolling their sleeves up.

Comment

Hope it's true that the JCVI are reconsidering their stance on vaccinating teenagers. Even if it's just 16 and 17 year olds, that should make quite a difference.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...d-17-year-olds

Comment

Working...
                                                    X