• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent news indeed

Comment

https://twitter.com/RLombardVance/status/1407442858664239106?s=20

Comment

Of all the places to be stuck in for 12 hours during this shitstorm, I’m in GRU in São Paulo. Haven’t seen one cleaning person since 11am, and it’s now 8:09 pm. Not many people all day (as the internationals leave at 10pm,) but they’re starting to file in.

Luckily I can pull up and get shot at the pharmacy, but that’s around 12pm eastern tomorrow.

To the version of me in the multiverse who got to get the Cuban vaccine and hang out in Havana for a month....smoke a Churchill Cohiba for me.

Comment

I was vaccinated in a curling hall yesterday. BionTech.

Comment

2.7 billion doses administered worldwide. Fairly impressive, but not administered equally enough.

Comment

I'm double jabbed with AZ as of Monday, no side effects other than slight arm soreness. Slightly bigger queue at the stadium for the AZ, and also a steady stream of yute dem queuing in a separate lane for their Pfizer. I got another sticker.

Comment

I'm doubled up as of a couple of hours ago, at the local Boots, where it was a fairly rapid throughput - no sitting for a few minutes afterwards this time to check for any immediate reactions - and a lot more people going in and out than when I first went.

Both of my kids, plus son's girlfriend, got their firsts yesterday at the vaccination centre in Penrith, and got Moderna.

All very positive, except I didn't get a sticker.

Comment

Morgan Stanley wants all vaccinated staff back in NYC offices.

Is James Gorman popular with his staff?

Comment

That's not the real story.

The story is that they are requiring clients and other visitors to their offices to be vaccinated, and are the first major firm to adopt such a policy.

No CEO is universally loved or hated, but the people I know at MS think that Gorman is decent at his job.

Comment

Ended up with a nasty infection on my ankle after spilling a glass of boiling water on it, and had to go directly to the hospital on the way home after getting picked up at EWR.

At the hospital they only had the J&J, so got that, got out, then got my pfirst Pfizer. Going with the all-Jersey tag team.

0.3/10 with soreness from the Pfizer, and absolutely nothing from J&J to the point that I'm wondering if they actually gave it. mrs. v and hija del v got their 2nd Pfizer, so that's just such a ray of sunshine.

Comment

Excellent news on the vax front, JV, although not on the infected ankle. I now have a nagging question of how you’d even go about spilling boiling water on your ankle.

Also - do you have to stay in the US for the full month waiting for the second shot of Pfizer, or are you travelling back and forth repeatedly?

Comment

Am I reading correctly that you are getting both the J&J and the Pfizer?

Comment

That baffles me too - thought Janssen was the "One shot and done" vaccine?

Comment

While that’s true, there’s been some chatter here that the “two shots is better against Delta Variant” logic may apply to J&J, and therefore there’s no harm in getting a “booster” particularly of an mRNA vaccine. That’s doubly true because there’s a lot of anecdotal(? Maybe just not reviewed data?) that I’ve read about suggesting that having a mix of vaccine styles is particularly effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                                I wouldn’t expect a complete record keeping going on. Get J&J in a hospital and Pfizer at a center (which will arrange the second appt) - I would be very surprised if the data is reconciled, certainly not very frequently.

Comment

Is it a good idea to mix the vaccines and to get the second dose as early as possible?

My wife had Moderna and is waiting for her second dose. We've seen the pop up vaccine centres offering Pfizer and have been looking for the one that offers Moderna.

Comment

You're still supposed to wait at least 8 weeks apparently. We looked into getting P her second over the weekend but it had only been 6 weeks since her first and the info we could find suggested we'd be wasting our time.

Comment

I now have a nagging question of how you’d even go about spilling boiling water on your ankle.
                                      Was soaking a spoon with caked-on sugar gunk on it in a cup. Forgot the cup was there. Knocked cup over with boiling water, thus landing on ankle.

Also - do you have to stay in the US for the full month waiting for the second shot of Pfizer, or are you travelling back and forth repeatedly?
                                      Have to stay the month. 2nd Pfizer shot on June 16. I figured this would be the absolutely dead-last summer vacation on my life. No side effects as 5 days so far, however.

Am I reading correctly that you are getting both the J&J and the Pfizer?
                                      Yes. The hospital only had the J&J. So I got the J&J in the hospital, got out of the hospital, and got my first Pfizer at a pharmacy.

True, but as part of the literature they give you before you sign it says you can take other vaccines. J&J is something like only 70% effective, and I'm in a country where they're pouring over from Brasil. Pfizer is much more effective against Delta so far, so I wanted to make sure I had one since I was in the Sao Paulo airport and took a plane from Brasil for almost 24 hours. Since J&J and Pfizer have two separate platforms, I chose to do both.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/...gical-benefits

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01359-3

https://www.technologyreview.com/202...oost-immunity/

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                        You're still supposed to wait at least 8 weeks apparently. We looked into getting P her second over the weekend but it had only been 6 weeks since her first and the info we could find suggested we'd be wasting our time.
                                        Thanks for that, which one did she have btw? Will you be aiming to have the same one again?

Comment

She had AZ so yeah, same again. I don't think she'd have a choice anyway.

Comment

No fewer than three friends from the podcast got their first dose appointments today, all for tomorrow (Tuesday). All are in the five-year age group above me. And for the important information, two are going to be jabbed at the Monumental and one at San Lorenzo's ground.

Comment

My 15 year old daughter got her second Pfizer dose yesterday. She's suffering from it today.

Comment

Oh also, delighted to hear jv's been jabbed, as I was starting to sweat that my prediction of being the last regular to get a first dose might be inaccurate given the sudden uptick in rollout here. Vicarious Thrillseeker, have you been done yet? Because if not you need to get a move on, my age group will be eligible before too much longer ...

Comment

I got the message yesterday that I could bring my second dose forward as it is currently scheduled for around three weeks time, 11 weeks after dose one. They have changed the booking system now so you can see if the earlier appointments available at the same vaccination centre. So I checked... and there weren't any. Huh. Apparently I can still cancel the appointment and try and find an appointment at a different centre which might be earlier than the one I originally arranged. But equally it might not be. And I can't check in advance of cancelling what I've got booked.

I think the problem is that I'm on the Moderna jabs, which are not all that widespread. That makes cancelling blind a real risk.

Looks like I'm waiting three weeks, then.

Comment

That's really annoying, Janik. You're the first person in the UK that I've heard of who's got the Moderna, which I guess echoes your point. (I hadn't actually even realised they were offering it in the UK yet!)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X