No announcement yet.

The COVID-19 Vaccination Progress Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All adults in our house are fully vaccinated - Mrs dglh was yesterday, I was Monday. I got the worse of the side-effects.

Meantime in West Virginia they are offering gift cards to people to get vaccinated, as well as signing legislation to keep unfair competition from transgender girls playing on girls sporting teams. Lovely place.

Comment

Originally posted by gavc23 View Post

No consolation but you’re not alone, the GP’s records show that I’ve been offered and indeed received my first jab but it’s news to me. The staff there are thankfully pushing to get records changed but admit they’re not that sure how that’s done.

It does suggest someone possibly pitched up clutching my letter at the surgery a few weeks ago and got their vaccine done then. Not usually one for wishing ill on anyone, but if that is the case, I hope they got all the side effects.
      In the US, they'd have also needed to also show a photo ID so I think that's rather a lax system in the UK if someone can just show up with a stolen or misdirected letter.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
        Actually, why am I saying "of course". It could be almost anywhere in the US.
        But the statistical probability increases in certain states which believe parents should have the right to turn their kids into antisocial cult members withdrawn from reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

In the US, they'd have also needed to also show a photo ID so I think that's rather a lax system in the UK if someone can just show up with a stolen or misdirected letter.
          When I went for mine you also had to provide, as well as your NHS number and appointment code, your date of birth and name of your GP (neither of which were on the email or letter sent to you).

Comment

We don't do all that "ID" nonsense.

I've booked my second jab now, for 13 May.

Comment

Even if the vaccine did get in the wrong arm, hey, it's still in an arm. As long as the other arm can get it without much delay it's fine.

There's probably an argument for never turning people away. Why put layers of bureaucracy to slow down mass vaccination?

Comment

It's a good idea to keep track of who's had what. And the priority scheme is important. And cock-ups / mistaken identities cause problems for others.

Comment

Had some reaction today - flu symptoms basically. Two panadol and a couple of hours sleep has seen off the worst of it.

Comment

I seem to be racing through the symptoms at a fair rate of knots, though that is probably because my immune system is still completely hedgehogged with this shingles rubbish.

Comment

Though cargo cults are initially grounded in the delivery of something of value

Comment

Panadol is just paracetamol, right?
                        Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 01-05-2021, 19:26.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                          Though cargo cults are initially grounded in the delivery of something of value
                          I cannot work out if this post is on the wrong thread or is something very erudite which has gone completely over my head.

Comment

Well, I'm not going to tell you . . .

Comment

OK, it's now 56 hours after the jab. I think I can relax about having no side effects other than what was a sore arm and is now a slightly tender one.

[I do have a bit of headache* at the moment, but that is down to getting absolutely poleaxed twice on the Hockey pitch today by opponents who didn't realise I was there crashing into me at full speed!
                              * - no indication of concussion]

Comment

The return of what I felt were my long covid symptoms after the second shot appear to be tapering off, much like how they did last year, they're still there, just not at a level where I consistently feel like shit for half the day.

Comment

Got our 2nd AZ jabs down in Pembrokeshire yesterday evening. The Sister In Law was working at Tenby Vaccination Centre and they were ringing around friends and family at last knockings due to no-shows, which are pretty common on weekend late shifts, apparently. No negative reaction so far...

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

When I went for mine you also had to provide, as well as your NHS number and appointment code, your date of birth and name of your GP (neither of which were on the email or letter sent to you).
                                    I just gave my name and, maybe, my birthday. I was prepared to show them my appointment confirmation text, but wasn't asked. If I'd been asked for my NHS number I'd have been stumped.

Comment

The memory is fuzzy due to stressing over the upcoming jab, but I do recall that in the reception area they got me to take a picture of a tablet screen which had my name, DOB, appointment number and NHS number on it. I then showed that picture to the nurses who were going to do the jab. I think I just gave my name and appointment time for them to call that info up - that is the bit that is unclear.

Comment

Girlfriend's dad is going for his first dose in about seven hours' time. Once he's had it I'll find out for you all which one it is (Sputnik V and Sinopharm are by far the most likely options).

Comment

Article in the FT on the low vaccination rates among Roma communities in Europe https://www.ft.com/content/1be396f8-...f-2437841d178a

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                            Girlfriend's dad is going for his first dose in about seven hours' time. Once he's had it I'll find out for you all which one it is (Sputnik V and Sinopharm are by far the most likely options).

If your mobile signal improves when you see him next, it was probably the former.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                              Article in the FT on the low vaccination rates among Roma communities in Europe https://www.ft.com/content/1be396f8-...f-2437841d178a
                                              Behind a paywall for me, could you copy paste it please?

Comment

Roma predicament highlights risk to Europe’s vaccine drive
                                                Discrimination, fear of authorities and lack of paperwork mean millions in ‘shadow population’ are being missed

Failure to reach marginalised communities, which also include migrants and the homeless, threatens efforts to quell the pandemic, say experts
                                                Michael Peel and Mehreen Khan in Brussels and Valerie Hopkins in Budapest
                                                9 HOURS AGO

For Roma activist Jeno Setet, the third wave of the Covid-19 pandemic in Hungary has been an “endless wave of sorrow”. The central European nation’s coronavirus mortality rate is one of the highest in the world and has disproportionately affected his already embattled community.

At more than 6m people spread across the continent, Roma are Europe’s largest minority. Low vaccination rates reflect both lack of access to healthcare and longstanding suspicion of the authorities.

Roma people do not trust the governments for a good reason,” said Zeljko Jovanovic, director of Open Society Foundation’s Roma Initiatives Office. “They have been disenfranchised for decades, even before the Covid-19 crisis spread through the settlements.”

The plight of Hungary’s Roma highlights a wider problem of vaccine access for Europe’s marginalised groups even as the EU’s immunisation drive gathers pace. Other vulnerable communities who risk falling through the cracks include millions of migrants and homeless people, who face obstacles including discrimination, fear of officialdom and lack of formal paperwork.

The difficulties raise practical and moral questions for European governments and EU authorities, especially given the ease of cross-border travel within the bloc. If vulnerable socio-economic groups are systematically underserved for vaccines, it not only threatens their own health buts national efforts to quell the pandemic.

Anna Vallianatou, a researcher at the Chatham House think-tank, said the EU’s goal of inoculating 70 per cent of all adults by the summer could not be guaranteed if it did not include undocumented people. “This is a public health concern first and foremost, but the deafening silence from politicians and authorities is partly linked to hostile migration policies in Europe,” she said.

If you have pockets of people who are not able to get vaccines, that’s not good for anyone — particularly in a union that allows free movement between states Belkis Wille, senior researcher at Human Rights Watch

Marginalised groups face difficulties even in countries that have committed to making vaccines available to them, with misinformation about the jabs, fear of deportation and difficulties in arranging appointments hampering efforts, experts say.

“There’s a spectrum of realities and there’s a spectrum of approaches and barriers — even in countries where it’s very positive in terms of the inclusiveness of the strategy on paper,” said Alyna Smith, a senior advocacy officer at Picum, a Brussels-based organisation that campaigns for the rights of undocumented migrants.

The importance of evenly spread vaccination coverage across the EU’s 450m population has grown as the bloc’s initially sluggish programme has picked up speed in the past month. Its 27 countries have administered an average of 30.4 doses per 100 residents, according to data gathered by the Financial Times. An estimated 5m undocumented migrants are among Europe’s “shadow population”.

Poland is the only EU country that has explicitly excluded foreigners with no legal residency from its inoculation drive. Governments in France, Spain, Italy and the Netherlands — as well as non-EU nation the UK — are among those pledging to include undocumented migrants in their vaccine programmes. Slovakia has said it will also target its half a million Roma population as an at-risk group.

But prioritising such groups remains logistically difficult, experts say. It largely relies on outreach from civil society and charity groups to find and encourage people to get vaccinated. Many migrants have no legal status to remain in their EU countries of residence and — like Roma — are often not registered with healthcare authorities that open access to jabs through phone, online or in-person booking.

Some European nations have tried to work around the strictures. In Ireland, people without formal healthcare numbers can register for vaccines as long as they have a proof of address. The UK has run so-called “vaccine amnesties” where undocumented migrants are guaranteed access to jabs even if they have no legal documents But observers note people may still be deterred for fear they will be targeted by immigration authorities.

Countries such as Spain and Italy have shown “political will” for universal vaccination but have fallen short because of “significant design flaws in the registration process”, such as the requirement for health card numbers, said Belkis Wille, a senior researcher at Human Rights Watch.

“The pandemic has exposed in real technicolour all the gaps in society,” said Wille. “Specifically, it has exposed the gaps in healthcare systems — and in particular who is denied access.”

accine hesitancy because of misinformation or mistrust is also an issue. Roma children in 12 central and south-eastern European countries were between 30 and 45 per cent less likely to be vaccinated for a range of diseases, compared with non-Roma children, according to a 2016 study.

A further obstacle for communities such as Hungary’s Roma is a national vaccine rollout led by general practitioners, many of whom are located far from vulnerable groups. “Many Roma are receiving contradictory information: they are told to stay home and not go anywhere, but they are also told to get a vaccine,” said Setet, the Roma activist.

A Hungarian government spokesperson told the FT vaccines were available to “citizens and legal residents”. It declined to say whether outreach to the Roma community — who make up nine per cent of Hungary’s population — was planned.

Helena Dalli, EU commissioner for equality, said EU governments “have the responsibility to provide extra attention to at-risk groups and individuals”, including those “marginalised because of discrimination against their personal characteristics”.

But Brussels was unable to point to specific studies or guidance it had published on how vaccination programmes should do so. The European Commission has published recommendations that highlight refugees as a priority but make no mention of Roma or people without formal documentation.

Calls are growing for Brussels to put public pressure on EU member states to get vaccines to people who risk slipping through the system.

The commission has been vocal on vaccine equity between states outside the EU but has been basically silent on what equity means within,” said Wille. “If you have pockets of people who are not able to register and get vaccines, that’s not good for anyone — particularly in a union that allows free movement between states.”

Comment

From the article:
                                                  "Poland is the only EU country that has explicitly excluded foreigners with no legal residency from its inoculation drive"
                                                  Short sighted and bigoted nonsense that is potentially going to hurt them more.

Thanks ad hoc

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

If your mobile signal improves when you see him next, it was probably the former.
                                                    Pleased to report that his side effects will indeed include shouting out random Russian words in his sleep.

OTFers competing for the 'coolest vaccination venue' will be relieved to hear he ruled himself out of the running by not opting to get it at either River or Boca's stadiums (which are both being used – and, now I think about it, River will presumably be where my girlfriend and I go when our turn eventually comes, since it's the closest of the currently in-use ones), although the venue he did go to – Luna Park – does have a very cool name and is quite a legendary venue if you're into Argentine boxing (which I'm not) or music. It's also where the Tango World Championships are held each year.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X