No announcement yet.

The COVID-19 Vaccination Progress Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My partner had her first jab yesterday. Some arm pain and slight fever but she's up and about.

Comment

Ma-in-law (82) got her second OAZ jab today. Fingers crossed she has as little reaction to this one as she did the first.

Comment

Me and anyone else in Europe including Ireland in their late 50s. Still bloody months away. But that's purely because we're all shit over here, apparently.

Comment

If you lived in an EU country with much lower life expectancy you could have had it by now. All you countries with your large numbers of over 80s. That's your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
            If you lived in an EU country with much lower life expectancy you could have had it by now. All you countries with your large numbers of over 80s. That's your problem.

We've been working on that issue!

Comment

Got my second shot this morning.

Comment

Got a text on Wednesday afternoon two minutes after Mrs AB, just had a Pfizer jab two minutes after Mrs AB.

Currently in the 15 minute sin bin. All very smooth and efficient. People seem to be in a good mood this morning.

Comment

I'm a bit worried that the UK are going to stop AZ too after the announcement today of 30 blood clots.
                  I mean, the risk is a lot less than dying of covid, but you know how these things work.
                  I'm due my 2nd dose on 3rd May and I'd rather it weren't delayed.

Comment

Has anyone on here had the J&J shot? I'm scheduled for one tomorrow (at the Coliseum) and realize that I have a reasonable idea of what to expect in terms of after-effects from the other 2, but no idea for J&J.

Comment

The missus had it with no side-effects at all. Possibly ever so slightly more tired the next day, if anything.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                        Has anyone on here had the J&J shot? I'm scheduled for one tomorrow (at the Coliseum) and realize that I have a reasonable idea of what to expect in terms of after-effects from the other 2, but no idea for J&J.
                        Quite of number of our teachers got the J&J a couple of weeks ago and have not heard of any long-term problems save the 24 hour sore arm.

Comment

https://twitter.com/rohantalbot/status/1378058699143573510?s=21

Comment

Had the first Oxford AZ jag this morning, along with Mrs jdsx, who was on the original trial but was in the control group. Incredibly efficient. No side effects for either of us yet....

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                              I'm a bit worried that the UK are going to stop AZ too after the announcement today of 30 blood clots.
                              I mean, the risk is a lot less than dying of covid, but you know how these things work.
                              The group most at risk of blood clots (healthy pre-menopausal women) is also one of the least likely to die of Covid though, so it's less clear-cut for that group, even though I'm sure getting the vaccine would still come out ahead. It would be nice if they would at least consider using one of the other vaccines for that group until this has been properly investigated.

By the way this article on the subject in the Guardian today is a complete embarrassment. Public health authorities in other countries investigating a possible side-effect to protect their population now counts as spreading fear and undermining Our Brave Vaccine apparently, and this from a supposed science editor. "Why does everyone hate the British so much even though we're so great??" (paraphrasing.) Piss off.

Comment

Yeah, even if the risk is relatively speaking very low, you can still see why this is being taken seriously. They've found a rare but deadly unlisted potential side-effect of a medical treatment. Of course it needs to be taken seriously. There's a bizarre nationalist rhetoric around this AZ vaccine, for sure.

Comment

Especially when there are other vaccines available. It's typical of the UK to make decisions based on data and algorithms rather than think of the individual. Give this group of people a different vaccine until we know what the issue is.

Comment

The group most at risk of blood clots (healthy pre-menopausal women) is also one of the least likely to die of Covid though, so it's less clear-cut for that group, even though I'm sure getting the vaccine would still come out ahead. It would be nice if they would at least consider using one of the other vaccines for that group until this has been properly investigated.
                                    Yes, I posted that before really reading the story. In hindsight, it was a bit tactless and I apologise.

To clarify, I hadn't read that any particular group were more at risk, so assumed it was a general thing across the population.
                                    Last edited by hobbes; 04-04-2021, 12:19.

Comment

As a relatively healthy pre-menopausal woman who's had a first dose of AZ (with quite unpleasant but not serious side effects so far), I do wonder about whether it will be possible or desirable for me to have the second dose.

Comment

Yeah it's a pickle, the risk still seems incredibly low though. My first dose isn't due for weeks and if they're only offering AZ I'll take it, but I'd definitely feel happier with Pfizer or Moderna.

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                        Yes, I posted that before really reading the story. In hindsight, it was a bit tactless and I apologise.

To clarify, I hadn't read that any particular group were more at risk, so assumed it was a general thing across the population.
                                        Oh gosh no need to apologise, I hope I didn't sound like I was having a go at you. This hasn't been reported on very well in the UK so it's easy to miss. I think that also makes it very unlikely that they would pull the AZ vaccine for the whole population, so your second dose shouldn't be affected.

Comment

Not at all. You made a valid point I hadn't considered before having a privileged grumble.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

I'm not sure I do an hour's housework a month.
                                            I meant to reply to this at the time, but I was probably busy doing housework. I know this was probably a joke, but I don't understand how that would be even possible. Do you not cook and wash up or put the dishwasher on? Or clean your clothes ever? I have a full-time job and two small children which means I regularly do a stint of 6-7 hours of housework on a Saturday or Sunday and my house still looks like a bombsite.

Today alone, I've: cooked lunch, put the dishwasher on and put everything away from it three times, cleaned all the kitchen surfaces, done four rounds of laundry, washing, drying, sorting, folding, putting away, changed the sheets on the beds, stripped a mattress and put the cover back on another one, hoovered the lounge, emptied all the bins and replaced the bags.

And no, it's not that my husband is slacking. I had a lie in while he did breakfast and he's spent most of the day outside supervising the kids while also mowing the front and back lawns and hacking back all the hedges / buddleias / overgrown vegetation.

And yes, it's Easter so this was a "fun day". I also organised and supervised an Easter egg hunt for the kids, my husband painted boiled eggs with them, and as we didn't get round to cooking a roast we ordered in lots of yummy Middle Eastern food for dinner (falafel and halloumi and houmous wraps, tabbouleh, spiced rice, chicken wings, etc).

Even when I lived alone, it wasn't possible to get away with only one hour's housework a month and I am the opposite of house proud.

Comment

Yeah even I do more than an hour a month.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

I meant to reply to this at the time, but I was probably busy doing housework. I know this was probably a joke, but I don't understand how that would be even possible. Do you not cook and wash up or put the dishwasher on? Or clean your clothes ever? I have a full-time job and two small children which means I regularly do a stint of 6-7 hours of housework on a Saturday or Sunday and my house still looks like a bombsite.

Today alone, I've: cooked lunch, put the dishwasher on and put everything away from it three times, cleaned all the kitchen surfaces, done four rounds of laundry, washing, drying, sorting, folding, putting away, changed the sheets on the beds, stripped a mattress and put the cover back on another one, hoovered the lounge, emptied all the bins and replaced the bags.

And no, it's not that my husband is slacking. I had a lie in while he did breakfast and he's spent most of the day outside supervising the kids while also mowing the front and back lawns and hacking back all the hedges / buddleias / overgrown vegetation.

And yes, it's Easter so this was a "fun day". I also organised and supervised an Easter egg hunt for the kids, my husband painted boiled eggs with them, and as we didn't get round to cooking a roast we ordered in lots of yummy Middle Eastern food for dinner (falafel and halloumi and houmous wraps, tabbouleh, spiced rice, chicken wings, etc).

Even when I lived alone, it wasn't possible to get away with only one hour's housework a month and I am the opposite of house proud.
                                                I easily do at least 2 hours of housework a day.
                                                I think I need to learn game lessons from Rogin,

Comment

Needs a new thread really but why does a dishwasher need to be put on three times a day?

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

I easily do at least 2 hours of housework a day.

We've seen that thia mostly involves wiping down your fridge. .

Comment

Working...
                                                    X