Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m not a cheese eater, but that looks like Brie Larsony

Comment

Yes, it came with the hole in it. It doesn't look like the person who made it offers smaller versions using the middles, so I'm assuming they've got an even bigger mountain of cheese than me.

The round red things were little peppers stuffed with cheese. The leaves were just decorative, though I'm going to put the rosemary to good use with a lamb later this week. Wonder if I can find a recipe for lamb and brie.

I've since found out it cost ?45! Though that does include some crackers, a bit of chutney (which tastes suspiciously like the Lidl one) and a nice box with a bow on it.

Comment

With the hole in, sure, but did it come with all that stuff on top as well?
        Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 29-12-2020, 16:38.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
          With the hole in, sure, but did it come with all that stuff on top as well?
          Yep!

Comment

I can understand why it feels like no progress is being made. I can easily imagine one of those being in my house for weeks and then tossed in the bin at some point.

Comment

It looks rather like the product of an Instagram-focussed "food stylist" who either doesn't like Brie or got a massive haul under suspicious pre-Brexit circumstances.

Comment

It is the "ALL THE THINGS PEOPLE SAY GOES WITH CHEESE" approach. Whoever put it together has had a tough year as that is Conference Catering 101.

Comment

I had my first slice of Asda Extra Special Yule log with Bailey's Cream last night. I've been too stuffed with roast meat to look at it until then. I'd forgotten how much I love dark chocolate (then remembered, as I contemplated just eating the rest of the log in one go, why I have to be kept away from it).

We bought in more than enough cheese for the week, then one of Signora Rogin's family bought us a cheeseboard selection that was bigger than the amount we'd bought in. So we're similarly good for cheese until about February. I like brie but find only in small doses, and one of the ones we've been given is something circular wrapped in paper and string that I reckon is going to smell like a WWE wrestler's laundry basket.
                  Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 29-12-2020, 17:29.

Comment

We bought quite a bit of cheese to go with the port that my wife liberated from work. Both remain untouched...

Comment

Cheese doesn't last long in this house.

Comment

We bought a modest cheeseboard. I finished off the Stilton and goat's milk product last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                          Cheese doesn't last long in this house.
                          Perhaps a refrigerator would help?

Comment

Originally posted by Forest Gump View Post

Yep!
                            Blimey. How very odd.

Comment

I can't believe that all the Christmas cheese I bought hasn't been touched yet. The only thing that has is bog standard (but very nice) mature cheddar that is always in the fridge that we had last night with some Marmite crackers (which were a bit too Marmitey for me).

Comment

We had a beef joint in the fridge that we never bothered to cook on christmas day. We also had some leftover chestnut and mushroom soup. And we'd used one of the two sheets of pastry in a box so had one spare.

I just made an ersatz beef wellington: seared the beef. put some of the soup in a mixer with a bunch of pecans. Put that mix on the pastry and wrapped that around the beef and stuck it in the oven. It came out delicious and required almost no work.

The missus, meanwhile, has gone on a fairly strict post-christmas diet. So I now have to eat 2 lbs of beef wellington over the next few days.

Comment

The hardships you go through, San B.

Comment

It is my burden, but I endure it.

Comment

Funnily enough, this is a reason why we've not had a go at the cheese.

Comment

The market for cheese is massively skewed by Christmas. I bought a Christmas cheese platter in a supermarket yesterday, four kinds of cheese in Christmas tree shaped packaging, for 1.25 reduced from 5.00. Stilton is always substantially reduced after Christmas Day. Moral of the story being if you plan on eating cheese from 27th December onwards, bide your time.

I also nearly bought a "Christmas cheesecake" for the day itself (again it was shaped like a Christmas tree), for 6.00 and thought better of it. Saw it again yesterday, reduced to 3.00, looked at the calorie count and though nah, not now.

In non edible fayre, I got my daughter a Baylis & Harding gift set reduced from about 13.99 to 3.50 and she seemed pleased with it.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                          I can understand why it feels like no progress is being made. I can easily imagine one of those being in my house for weeks and then tossed in the bin at some point.
                                          If one of those was in your house for a few weeks, it could probably walk over and open the bin for itself.

I've got at least half of the cheese I bought for Christmas left still (Old Winchester, Double Gloucster, St. Agur and Camembert for those interested). Some of this may also become... um... cultured before it departs my kitchen. Lunch today was a Camembert, celery and quince jelly sandwich. And yesterday. And tomorrow. Ad infinitum.

I also had just under a kilo of potato salad left after Christmas Day. Somewhat like the image below... but more. Much, much more:-

That is down to ~250g remaining now, which will be polished off tomorrow along with a Quiche [Franco-Czech fusion cooking for you, right there].

Also to be finished tomorrow is the Christmas Day chocolate cake. Just 1/8th of that remains.

Weight is OK, though. Jumped up by 1.1kg from Christmas Day morning to Boxing Day morning, but most of that is back off already - just 0.5kgs up from the 8am 22/12 weight to the 8am 29/12.

Comment

I do love the post-Christmas markdowns on Christmas food. Although it does mean that I have to eat 72 pigs in blankets by 2 January.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                              I have to eat 72 pigs in blankets by 2 January
                                              That's only six for each meal. See, it doesn't sound so much when you break it down.

Comment

I'm back down to my pre-Christmas weight but my wife's birthday celebrations today and NYE might prove to be a bit challenging.

Comment

Working...
                                                X