Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best ones in rural Romania are those built by wealthy Rroma

Comment

I love the McMansion Hell website's content although it's horrible to navigate. This recent entry is absolutely astonishing on the inside, while just generically ugly on the outside.

https://mcmansionhell.com/post/63543...o-bring-you-an

--

Meanwhile, in this neck of the woods most of the McMansion action if fake colonial houses trying to mimic the older era. Usually the ugliest ones are houses that have had addition after addition after addition. But there are a couple of outright horrors. This one is just round the corner and appears to have been empty since we moved in. Possibly because it's so ugly that nobody actually can stomach living in it...

Comment

But the biggest horror I pass on a semi-regular basis is this outstandingly hideous thing:

Comment

Within six kilometers of my house:

See here for the full 39 pictures of horror. For a cool 3 million euros, this could be yours!
          Last edited by Wouter D; 05-12-2020, 17:17.

Comment

None of these are McMansions though, if "McMansion" implies mass produced as in TonTon's quote. They're all bloody hideous, but one - offs (thank fuck)

Comment

That may have been how it originated, but really isn't how it is used here.

Instead of mass produced, the reference is to ubiquity, and there are indeed a more than critical mass of them in certain areas like Mill Basin and Colt's Neck.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                I love the McMansion Hell website's content although it's horrible to navigate. This recent entry is absolutely astonishing on the inside, while just generically ugly on the outside.

https://mcmansionhell.com/post/63543...o-bring-you-an
                Holy crap that's unbelievable.

Comment

Background

https://patch.com/new-jersey/marlbor...hristmas-house

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    I read all of that waiting for the moment where I would feel bad for being horrified by that house. It never arrived.

Comment

I love this place around the corner from Ray. Hardly generic, mad as a box of frogs but I do find it fascinating.

https://assets.savills.com/propertie...HS18001699.PDF

Comment

I'm still giggling at "garage Mahal".

Comment

Greater Bromley is chock full of these. Appalling mock tudor fronted leviathans. Bickley, parts of Chislehurst and parts of Beckenham are replete with them.
                          There are also some proper old big houses too. But they're almost always awful too. Full of period shite and leaded windows and made to look like the set of A Room With a View.

Comment

Look at this place...
                            It could easily be a decent place - the inside is pretty nice and modern. But the brick detailing, the windows, the colour, the door. <Shudder>

Comment

Whereas this place looks brilliant on the outside.
                              But the inside? My eyes. My poor eyes.

Comment

Without their decor that house has great bones. The gardens would need completely redoing but that could be really nice.

Comment

I'm not getting the hate there. It's not great, but it doesn't seem that bad to me, I've seen far worse.

Comment

You live in the States...

Comment

The interior of the house that hobbes posted a few posts up reminds me of how, back in the 1990s when having a computer on my office desk was still fairly novel, I would attempt to stave off boredom by customising my desktop colour options in Outlook - you could change background colour, task and menu bar colours and so on. I would choose wacky loud colours just for a change but then very quickly realise that they were nauseating and I needed to restore the dull Microsoft default colour scheme asap. The colour schemes in those rooms - in particular those revolting strong blues - are like my idiotic outlook screen experiments.

Comment

By the way, not mansion-focused, but, for ugly house photos with occasionally laugh out loud funny comments, you can’t beat the Ugly Belgian Houses Facebook page.

Comment

I'll never understand how this country seems to almost universally hate modernist architecture and love mock Tudor kitsch. I mean, wtf is up with stuff like this? Everyone can still see it's a 1930s semi, why cover it in fake beams?

"A stunning Hartlepool mock Tudor house" - the Hartlepool Mail

Comment

The fuckin Tudors were especially noted for their love of hatchbacks driveways and fuckin people carriers.

Comment

So here is a good line of McMansions. Build to plan ($1500 plus a bit depending on your foundation). All a minimum of 5000 sq ft. (464 sq meters) because that is also a suitable definition on anyone's scale that is absolutely absurdly freaking huge.

30 designs. Ready to buy. And do people live in stuff like this? My brother lives in a house with his wife and three kids that is over 6000 sq ft. I don't get it, but a fair amount of people go that direction.

https://www.houseplans.net/floorplan...th=&max_depth=

Comment

I’ll admit, our last UK house was a 1930s standard semi, and had some beams on it.

But I would venture to say that at least those houses were made out of proper things like bricks (double thickness usually) and had decent sized eaves, and decent height ceilings. Our house was built in 1940 and is very much of its time, mashing elements of Deco, Streamline Moderne, Spanish Mission, Arts & Crafts and whatever that builder was doing at the time. So Devil’s advocate says it was the equivalent of a (smaller) McMansion. I guess. But I’m not sure how many of the houses on this thread will (a) still be standing in 80 years time, and (b) be as liveable.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                                  So here is a good line of McMansions. Build to plan ($1500 plus a bit depending on your foundation). All a minimum of 5000 sq ft. (464 sq meters) because that is also a suitable definition on anyone's scale that is absolutely absurdly freaking huge.

30 designs. Ready to buy. And do people live in stuff like this? My brother lives in a house with his wife and three kids that is over 6000 sq ft. I don't get it, but a fair amount of people go that direction.

https://www.houseplans.net/floorplan...th=&max_depth=
                                                  Too much choice!

Our next door neighbours selected from these providers:

The Allura Building Series takes you through each stage of the design and construction process to help you understand and to demystify what to expect when you build a custom home with Allura

Comment

One of my doctor friends in San Antonio bought a house (just outside San Antonio proper) that would fit right in this thread, it wasn't the one shown here but was similar enough:

The yard that is visible in the photo was pretty much the extent of the yard, there was probably an area half that size in the back. The street was just a row of these monstrosities side by side with virtually no daylight between them. ~5,000 square feet and she lived there alone.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X