No announcement yet.

McMansions Near You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a very big fan of the 'official' McMansion Hell McMansion definition, at least as it applies to the United States. Otherwise, a lot of houses (including maybe some on display here) are just 'ugly houses'. That's pretty much just every American suburban development since at least the 80s. If a house looks like three others in the same neighborhood, not really a fair game. In suburban Chicago, it's like ducks in a barrel.

On the other hand, the house behind ours certainly seems to qualify as meeting the strictest interpretation of McMansion. Huge. Ugly. Cheap in appearance. Two Garages. Big Entryway. Columns. Nubs. So many nubs. Windows upon windows. Dull back. I could submit it to her (Kate Wagner - also writing about cycling recently, gonna link that elsewhere) and it would fit right in with the Roofline Soup pictures.

Comment

Except for one offs, everything new (within the past 20 years) near me looks like this:

Comment

What's a nub?

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
          What's a nub?
          https://mcmansionhell.com/post/15125...related_post=1

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
            Except for one offs, everything new (within the past 20 years) near me looks like this:

Are those houses or flats?

Comment

Not sure how far your definition of "flats" stretches - the front door in front of you leads to a three-storey dwelling, the windows to the left (as you're looking at it) of the door are part of that dwelling, but I think the next ones over will be the neighbour's, not sure how far back it stretches.

Comment

I always thought McMansion in the Australian sense always meant a 4 x 2 or 5 x 2 in a "development" estate, rather than grandiose employment schemes for window-cleaners, as per some of the examples above.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

There does seem to be a disconnect between North American and Aussie usage

"You" seem to focus on the mass production, cookie cutter aspects, whereas "we" are more about quantity over quality and the use of cheap ingrediients.

Developments of the kind you mention (also called tract homes here) are so ubiquitous as to not engender comment

Comment

The usage started (or was adapted) here around the time the mining boom pushed housing prices so high many people had no prospect of getting into the market. Those unable to buy were told it was their own fault for insisting on "McMansions" as their first home. Such things are relative of course, but the entire upstairs of my sister's old council house would pretty well fit in the footprint of the main bedroom/en suite of pretty standard suburban homes in Perth.

Comment

That's a very different vibe
                        Some of the most despised over here are those built after an older house that actually fit the lot and was in keeping with the neighbourhood was torn down completely.

Comment

The archetype of Aussie McMansions would be an expansion suburb like Kellyville in NW Sydney. When we got here in the late 90s it was still bushland. They're big, cheaply built and there are loads of them too close together:

Comment

Oh, and nearly all of them are grey.

Comment

I've thrown too much at this thread, so by way of a personal finale, a couple of favourites from last night's dog walk:

Comment

And proving size need not preclude some horrendous shite:

Comment

Finally to cleanse the palate, probably the purest and least derivative house in the suburb must be this 1930s genuine Art Deco:

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                    The archetype of Aussie McMansions would be an expansion suburb like Kellyville in NW Sydney. When we got here in the late 90s it was still bushland. They're big, cheaply built and there are loads of them too close together:

That roofline is prime McM.

Comment

Contrary to my photos, all the houses above are actually built horizontally.

Comment

I will never post a pic of my house on here now. Mine came with cheese, no pickles.

The other odd thing with Australian homes is the insistence on deep setbacks, thus reducing the options to two smaller gardens rather than one bigger one.

Comment

I'm not sure what a deep setback is.

Comment

The distance from the street/pavement to the front of the house.

Comment

Is this true?

https://twitter.com/NYinLA2121/status/1334946301142700032

Comment

I'm not sure that that is her house (It may be Tyler Perry's), but she does have one of the largest mansions in Atlanta and a number of other houses.

https://blog.atlantafinehomes.com/20...-beats-record/

She is the wealthiest member of Congress
                                                Last edited by ursus arctos; 07-12-2020, 08:36.

Comment

It's a very nasty house.

Comment

It's a very nasty society we have over here

Comment

Working...
                                                    X