X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assange...

shouldn't be deported

https://twitter.com/OborneTweets/status/1334478286378905602?s=20

I agree the filthy rapist scum should not be deported to the US.

Comment

The UK media is terrible - I don't by that mean that any other is better or great or anything, I'm just talking about UK media. I'm not at all surprised that they aren't covering what is a difficult but important legal issue.

Comment

Worth reading this thread.

they’ve made reporting this almost impossible

https://twitter.com/rebecca_vincent/status/1337449590031695874?s=21

Comment

Is Assangs actually a 'journalist', or is that descriptor being invoked to give respectability to publishing stolen documents?

Comment

He published accounts of murder by American troops.

id hope that you would agree with international law that there’s a hierarchy of obligations and there’s a Duty to expose crimes of that Kind

Comment

the unsavouriness of Assange means the government are getting away with extraordinary things

https://twitter.com/rebecca_vincent/status/1344213730696036353?s=20

Comment

No extradition!

Thank fuck for that

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                  No extradition!

Thank fuck for that
                  Astonishing. Of course the US can and will appeal

Comment

https://twitter.com/Bynickdavies/status/1346050142349234179?s=20

Comment

Does he think the US government would be influenced by any judgement here with regard to future cases? Seems unlikely to me.

Also is it right that Priti Patel can overrule this?

Comment

Where is he a citizen of? Is the Gvmt going to expel him to Australia once he's served his current prison sentence?

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                          Where is he a citizen of? Is the Gvmt going to expel him to Australia once he's served his current prison sentence?
                          Hard to know. He's not black.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                            He published accounts of murder by American troops.

id hope that you would agree with international law that there’s a hierarchy of obligations and there’s a Duty to expose crimes of that Kind
                            Well, yes. But what about the non-crimes kind, like the Democratic party's emails and anything tied to Russian hackers for political ends in the US? Or does he get a pass because 'journalist' is appended to his name when hacker / fence / spy might be more appropriate?

Comment

I'm in the uncomfortable position of being pleased that he's not being extradited to the US but hoping that he rots in either a UK, Australian or Swedish prison cell. Or room in an embassy, I don't care which.

Comment

Recognising that the US prison system is so fucked up it can't keep people safe is a good thing. But agreeing with every other argument put forward in favour of extradition is bad. So it's not a big win. And yeah, the US can appeal.

Hopefully he will fuck off out of everyone's lives now.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                  I'm in the uncomfortable position of being pleased that he's not being extradited to the US but hoping that he rots in either a UK, Australian or Swedish prison cell. Or room in an embassy, I don't care which.
                                  Agree. I'm far more disheartened that he never face justice in Sweden for the sexual assault charges. Whatever the outcome of this particular extradition request, he is not a fucking hero in any way, shape or form.

Comment

Snake and Sean speak for me, here. I'm glad he's not being extradited, but he appears to be a horrible little man who has somehow created a bizarre personality cult around himself allowing him to get away with all kinds of shit. I hope to never see another link on social media to anything he's involved in.

Comment

Nobody here is trying to make him a hero. But that doesn't mean that this extradition case stinks to high heaven

Comment

But that doesn't mean that this extradition case stinks to high heaven
                                        How so?

Comment

For all the reasons given by Nef earlier in the thread.

Comment

So I should just read all the links and articles, or can you point me to something more specific? I mean, I'm genuinely not trying to be a dick, I'm just wondering - agree or disagree with his extradition - what particularly 'stinks' about it.

Comment

They want to extradite him because he published (with the involvement of major newspapers in different countries) details of war crimes committed by the US. I mean that stinks, right?

Comment

The way he was treated.
                                                The refusal to allow the press to attend.
                                                The blatant bias of the judge.
                                                The acceptance of all the arguments by the US that he wasn't a journalist, and that leaking about a war crime involving the mass murder of civilians was not acceptable,
                                                Various other aspects of the legal argument that were accepted

Comment

They want to extradite him because he published (with the involvement of major newspapers in different countries) details of war crimes committed by the US. I mean that stinks, right?
                                                  Well, it seems to. But his whole deal doesn't seem quite as clean-cut as that. I mean, from what I've read over the years, he keeps some pretty dodgy company and appears to uh...inspire people to hack information as much as he does just 'journalist' it into the light once it's been found / hacked / stolen. It seems like a lot of really, really gray areas. That's putting it lightly, btw.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X