No announcement yet.

France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am quite fond of the rouge and ambree types you get from the north/Wallonia/Basque country. There's often German wheat beer easily available too.

Comment

Yeah I can't see any way of putting Macron on the left, except in comparison to the RN (for which he is preparing some hugely fertile ground). There does seem to be jack that isn't shite to vote for likely to make it into a second round, mind. Philippe Poutou or replacement in the first round, for me.

The lack of pubs and the lack of dominance by a huge beer culture are two of the best things about France.

Comment

No, you don't go to France for the beer, but I maintain that crappy bottles in crates is an essential part of any trip if you're self-catering.

Comment

Perhaps my favourite example of the French psyche was this year. My mum and dad live about 60 miles north east of Bordeaux, the kind of village where the mayor wanders around in a vest smoking yet holds all power within a 4 mile radius in his hands.

At the first full lockdown in March/April he appeared at their door to reassure them that, as pensioners, they should stay put and he was taking steps to ensure that all over 60s would be looked after. For the next few weeks a box appeared on their doorstep every other morning, with bread, pate, cheese and both a bottle of red and a bottle of white. Every couple of weeks a bottle of pineau would be thrown too.

Comment

The French can't do beer? Get yourself to northwest France. Anosteke, 3 Monts, 2 Caps, Le Gloudale, Ch'ti, etc

​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by gavc23 View Post
              Perhaps my favourite example of the French psyche was this year. My mum and dad live about 60 miles north east of Bordeaux, the kind of village where the mayor wanders around in a vest smoking yet holds all power within a 4 mile radius in his hands.

At the first full lockdown in March/April he appeared at their door to reassure them that, as pensioners, they should stay put and he was taking steps to ensure that all over 60s would be looked after. For the next few weeks a box appeared on their doorstep every other morning, with bread, pate, cheese and both a bottle of red and a bottle of white. Every couple of weeks a bottle of pineau would be thrown too.
              I'm moving there.

Comment

France is on our "do not visit" list, part of the reason being witnessing on, two separate occasions, the Parisian police basically beating the shit out of North African lads. The people are pretty rude, and not just in Paris. And the food? Not that great.

The national anthem is a banger, but it's nowhere near as good as the Italian one.

Italy also has better people, food, culture, history, dress sense, football... I could go on for a while.

Comment

And Italy has more progressive policing...?

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                    The French can't do beer? Get yourself to northwest France. Anosteke, 3 Monts, 2 Caps, Le Gloudale, Ch'ti, etc

​​​​​
                    isn't all that Northeast France?

Comment

TrL. That Lebanese restaurant on Bold Street was spectacular when MrsT and I went.

We toured Brittany a fair few years ago and I was drinking the home made cider from the local farms. Not to put too fine a point on it I thought I’d been hit with a baseball bat.

Comment

And to be honest who gives two hoots about a so-called better dress sense?

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post

I have bought so much Armor Lux stuff over the last decade it's scary.
                          I wonder what happened to Saint James. They used to be the better known brand of Breton/nautical clothing over here but Armor Lux has knocked them right off their perch in recent years.

Comment

https://twitter.com/libyaliberty/status/1330126627976728576?s=21

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              One of the things that language proficiency offers is improved ascertainment of sincerity
                              Yes.

The other way around: Back when I was young, and when I drank beer, and when pubs were allowed to open: I used to go to "Bei Yvonne und Harald" in St. Pauli. It was a good, old-school boozer - big beer barrels as tables; stank of farts; jukebox full of Schlager - and the staff and guests were great.

However, Yvonne and Harald couldn't speak English. So, on the rare occasions when foreign tourists came in, they'd say, "Sorry, no English." What they meant was, "Sorry, we don't speak English." What was understood was, "We don't want English-speakers here."

Half a mile down the road, there was the "Irish-Pub" that I've mentioned here before. Civilised prices during the week, 50% mark-up at the weekend because northern European stag-nighters turned up.

"Irish-Pub" was packed and, undoubtedly, friendly to the people they were ripping off. "Bei Yvonne und Harald" wasn't packed, ever, but it was nicer there.

Comment

Fucking great opening post EIM, you are a great writer.

I have lots to say on this thread but I’m half cut and my time is currently fully employed in making insightful and helpful comments to my wife about Strictly, and catching up on Neil Lennon’s latest excuses.

Am currently holidaying in Banchory. It’s lovely.

as you were. Oh yes, saw my first ever episodes of The Crown last night. Sometimes you let your ingrained prejudices prevent you watching great TV until your partner forces you!

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

isn't all that Northeast France?
                                  It's northwest from Paris innit.

Northernmost tip of France then.

Comment

French police at it again

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-camp-shocking

Comment

Macron is a liberal intent on Thatcherising France insofar as he can - there is a need for reforms but also desperate need for social justice and social mobility that he has failed to provide. But right now the choice for future President of France is still Macron or Le Pen

Would be great if Edouard Philippe came out as a candidate but will need to develop a network - not impossible, Macron did it...

Comment

And jumping back to the Sarkozy trial, there is a fantastic book that has been written as a graphic novel about the Sarko - Gaddafi era

Highly recommended, shocking stuff about how Libya was destroyed to cover Sarko's arse

https://livre.fnac.com/a12881288/Fab...arkozy-Kadhafi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKh_8gMy07U

Comment

This is an interesting photo-documentary of France. https://atlasrn.fr/

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
                                            This is an interesting photo-documentary of France. https://atlasrn.fr/

That's really good. Shabby chic verging on the post-apocalyptic.

The structure in the very first photo is my favourite.

Comment

Turns out that France somehow coalesced into Wes Anderson's brain

Comment

Originally posted by john the revelator View Post
                                                And jumping back to the Sarkozy trial, there is a fantastic book that has been written as a graphic novel about the Sarko - Gaddafi era

Highly recommended, shocking stuff about how Libya was destroyed to cover Sarko's arse

https://livre.fnac.com/a12881288/Fab...arkozy-Kadhafi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKh_8gMy07U
                                                thanks for that- i bought it. it's brilliant.

would love to read one on blair now.
                                                Last edited by Nefertiti2; 29-11-2020, 20:14.

Comment

https://twitter.com/shafikfm/status/1336750997016809472?s=21

Comment

https://twitter.com/DanielZamoraV/status/1360203303557226500

Almost enough to go in the wtf thread. Contains the look of someone wondering if they are on the French version of Beadles About.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X