No announcement yet.

Learning To Cycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All the best, wish I was brave or competent enough to cycle in Dublin, but I'm a coward and wobbly in the saddle.

Comment

Cheers man.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
        The reason cyclists shave their legs isn't for aesthetic appeal or aerodynamic performance but because leg hair, scraped into a flesh wound or graze, can quickly go septic and cause much worse problems. There's my cheerful thought for the day!
        Great. Another thing to worry about (and I'm not even a cyclist).

Comment

One final thing I forgot earlier, make sure your saddle is at the correct and most comfortable height. You should, especially when starting out, be easily able to put both feet on the ground when you are stationary. If your saddle is too high it can be unnerving.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
            One final thing I forgot earlier, make sure your saddle is at the correct and most comfortable height. You should, especially when starting out, be easily able to put both feet on the ground when you are stationary. If your saddle is too high it can be unnerving.
            Yeah, I clocked that after an hour or so on the new bike for the first time. There's an awful lot that I have to learn. Maintenance, safe cycling, etc. It's all a bit much but I've mailed the guy who taught me to cycle last year to see if he does group or advanced lessons.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
              I’m probably not the right person to comment on this as I’ve been cycling a long time.

A few things, though: first, don’t do anything fancy - you don’t need a fast bike, you don’t need slick tyres, you don’t need clip in pedals, don’t listen to “serious” cyclists who want to save a few grams on the weight of their bike or change their pedalling efficiency by a couple of percent. That should all be irrelevant to you.

Second, and related, getting a bike shop to put wider tires on the bike (hopefully at some point you’ll be doing it yourself, but that’s another skill to learn) should make you more stable and also reduce the risk of punctures.

Third, I back Greenlander’s advice to not be afraid to take up the road even if you’re uncertain and wobbly. Riding close to the kerb or parked cars is much more dangerous, and leaving just a little space for cars risks them passing close to you rather than forcing them to wait behind. Remember that you’re a road vehicle.

Fourth, from what I vaguely remember from my cycling proficiency test in middle school, I learned a decent amount about control and steering by setting up courses in empty parking lots. Steering to avoid (real or imaginary) traffic cones.
              I highly recommend Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, touring tyres with a kevlar lining. Heavier but you can forget about punctures, I think I am not too short of 5000kms using them (2 pairs, I got wider ones last year) without a problem. I ride dirty trails too, urban and country with plenty to ride on that would puncture normal tyres..

Comment

I have the Schwalbes on my old Cannondale alu touring bike and they’re super comfortable. But you could easily go bigger and knobblier if you are more interested in staying upright than in speed or distance.

Comment

Congrats Reginald Christ Keep persevering! I started cycling again aged 50ish having not cycled since I was about 12. I started by avoiding roads as much as possible, and sticking to cycle paths - I was mostly wanting to commute and fortunately there are quite a few options where I live. What you are describing is just basic self-confidence - you will acquire it as you progress, although it is scary at first. Take it easy - you're not in a race. Don't worry if other cyclists seem to be impatient with you!
                  Are you wanting to commute, or are you looking to ride on trails? The bike you've got looks like it's more suited to roads/good paths. Have you got any mudguards? As suggested, it might be worth looking at 700x50 tyres - the wider the better until you get more experience.
                  If you're looking to ride on roads, I would recommend getting a decent mirror. I'm amazed that very few cyclists seem to have them - as a driver I would be absolutely stuffed without a rear-view mirror, and as a cyclist it's more important to know what's coming up behind you....
                  Let us know how you get on!

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                    , make sure your saddle is at the correct and most comfortable height. You should, especially when starting out, be easily able to put both feet on the ground when you are stationary.
                    Yes, but isn't it the case that you lose efficiency if you're sitting too low?

A mirror is definitely useful, but if like myself you have to lock your bike on special bike rails in the street while doing various jobs you run a big risk of having the mirror stolen. Similar with lights, which is why I use a clip-on, clip-off type.

It took me ages to learn to cycle as a kid. Complete lack of confidence whereas our son was riding in about half an hour. My mother never learned.

The traffic problem is alleviated where I live due to the local government's admirible cycle lane policy.

Comment

When you’re learning and only riding relatively short stretches you really don’t need to care about efficiency. What you want is to feel as comfortable and confident as possible. If you can only just touch the ground with your toes when on the saddle, you may lose confidence.

Comment

Yes, that's true.

Comment

I purchased a mirror recently but have not found much use for it on the roads so far as I usually hear approaching traffic before I can see it. It has come in very useful on cycle paths though, I can now see those ninja cyclists before they sneak up on me - obviously too much effort for some to give any indication of approach.

Whilst I'm not advocating falling off your bike deliberately, and certainly not in traffic, I would think that it's not a very high risk 'accident' overall in a traffic-free environment. I've come off my bike a few times, usually at low speed and due to my own stupidity, and have found that my reflex reaction is to tuck my chin into my chest - maybe I've just been very fortunate but no injuries so far as a result of coming off the bike at low speed. Just mentioning that in case you have a fear of coming off the bike that is not proportional to actual risk - anything can happen of course but I would say that's the case for any aspect of living (and there are probably stats that reflect that).

A fear of cycling on the roads is a new thing for me as I've got older but also due to reading so much online that paints a picture of systemic prejudice against 'cyclists' - it even caused me to stop cycling for a while but I feel that was being over-anxious plus, the actual/real risks to my health are much more severe if I don't get out on the bike.

Comment

I made the mistake of riding for two days in the Netherlands, upon my return to the UK, I have been less and less on road....

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
                              I made the mistake of riding for two days in the Netherlands, upon my return to the UK, I have been less and less on road....
                              Yes, I keep reading all this advice with an inner voice going "c'mon, it's really not that dangerous to drive on the road" and "who in his right mind needs a helmet and a hi-viz jacket for cycling?", and then I remember how hugely priviledged I am with the cycling infrastructure over here. In many other countries, all that makes all the sense.

Comment

I think for me it was how car drivers are drilled to respect cyclists and how cyclists are at the top of food chain when it comes to priority. Conversely, I rather be a pedestrian in the UK than the Netherlands...mind I went to the Mecca of Dutch cycling culture, Groningen...

Comment

I’ve recently bought a bike after not having one in thirty years. I didn’t have a clue about riding on the roads and the prospect was terrifying.

Transport for Greater Manchester have a mentoring scheme, for which I signed up. A bloke came round to my house and we spent two two-hour sessions going through signalling, practicing riding one-handed, turning etc, then in our last two hour session we went out on the roads and did a dry run to my workplace, which I was planning on cycling to and from. I was made redundant the very next day.

To be honest I’m still lacking a lot of confidence on the road and I could have done with a fourth session. My bike is a lovely piece of machinery but I’m still a bit scared of it, especially after a nerve-wracking ride to Tesco last week. The thought of practicing on a car park is a good one and I can do that at the Con club now I’ve got a bit of time on my hands.

Reginald Christ But in the meantime, see if there’s a mentoring scheme near you too. Good luck!

Comment

Not much to add other than, as with others, well done for doing it. It really is something that gives you a great sense of freedom. I have practically given up running and started back cycling a lot more which, unlike running, I actually love doing. I am a bit like you as I was given a ultra light weight expensive time trial bike by a mate who was moving to Italy and I have felt a bit "all the gear, no idea" with it.

As an aside, I have been acting PE teacher at our school for the last fortnight which has meant getting the bikes out and just letting kids go on them. It has meant that there are at least two kids who can now ride bikes that couldn't before and two that are much improved which has made as proud - if not more so - as anything I have achieved in teaching.

I will second the riding in the middle of the lane thing. I was on a Speed Awareness course (don't ask) and the guy there said that cyclists are now encouraged to ride in the middle of the lane (or, if more than one, two abreast) so that cars are forced to overtake properly rather than knock the cyclist over passing too near.

Comment

Working...
                                    X