• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a union job, though.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
      Both valid points.

But people who enjoy fragrances seem to think that everyone around them enjoys them equally, so they bathe in them. If they're worth wearing, they're worth wearing A LOT. I can't begin to count the number of rapid-onset headaches I've had during plays because some woman within five feet of me decided the evening would be more enjoyable if she smelled like a lilac bush.
      Heh. "Lilac bush".

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post

Heh. "Lilac bush".
        Don't get it.

Comment

I keep my perfume a secret. It's not exactly rare but I don't know anyone else who wears it. I've had people copy my perfume in the past and then felt I had to change mine. So I put them off the scent, so to speak. Selfish, yeah, but I like to keep something for myself. I actually hide it so no-one sees it in the bathroom.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
            So I put them off the scent, so to speak.
            <applause>

Comment

I keep my perfume a secret. It's not exactly rare but I don't know anyone else who wears it. I've had people copy my perfume in the past and then felt I had to change mine. So I put them off the scent, so to speak. Selfish, yeah, but I like to keep something for myself. I actually hide it so no-one sees it in the bathroom.
              I think you're being a bit precious here. I mean, my mother was wearing Tweed when you were still in nappies.

Comment

That actually reads almost like copy for a perfume ad: My Secret by MsD

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                  I think you're being a bit precious here. I mean, my mother was wearing Tweed when you were still in nappies.
                  Did she also wear tweed nappies?

Comment

Many of the colleges and universities here in BC have banned the use of perfumes and scents. I assumed that trend was widespread.

Comment

I have three teeny-tiny scent spray bottles that I ordered from a friend of a friend who makes them by hand. I use them entirely for events where I know that aren't any allergic folks attending (family gatherings, mostly) or events where I know I will be far from the worst offender (the opera/the symphony). One's a light citrus/floral blend, another is pine/scotch, and the last is burnt manzanita, very "smoke-y".

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                        Many of the colleges and universities here in BC have banned the use of perfumes and scents. I assumed that trend was widespread.
                        It's on the back of every theatre ticket we buy. It's announced at the beginning of every performance. And yet every show has some reeking person spoiling the evening for everyone who is scent-sensitive. I'd rather not generalize, but it's usually a woman 60+.

Comment

This is how the perfume company describe what I'm currently wearing:

'The nose behind this fragrance is Jacques Cavallier. Top notes are Mandarin Orange, Orange and Petitgrain; middle notes are Seaweed, Lavender and Cotton Flower; base notes are Virginia Cedar, Woodsy Notes, Patchouli, Clary Sage and Amber.'

It's all bollocks, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

That actually reads almost like copy for a perfume ad: My Secret by MsD
                            A l'Universite. Au Theatre. Je suis Eternellement MsD.
                            Last edited by MsD; 11-11-2020, 19:20. Reason: Les accents.

Comment

[Bravo! Madame, Bravo!]

Comment

I wear Boss Bottled Intense because, according to the adverts I aim to "be the man of today". Well, I am a man, and it is today...

Although I now wear a much cheaper, practically identical knock off version of it from a company in Northern Ireland.

Top notes are Apple, Orange Blossom and Bergamot; middle notes are Cinnamon, Cloves, Cardamom, Geranium and Lavender; base notes are Vanilla, Sandalwood, Coumarin, Cedar and Vetiver.
                                So yeah, it's one of the manly ones.

I'm surprised at the level of disdain for scent wearers on this thread. Most perfumes and colognes smell nice (it's one of their selling points), so if I smell a scent on someone it's usually a pleasant experience. Although I agree the mid 90s were a low point for astringent feminine perfumes - a friend's girlfriend used one that really made my eyes stream, perhaps it was that Thierry Mugler one mentioned upthread.

Comment

The modern day favourite amongst women for assaulting the senses appears to be Lancome's La Vie Est Belle. In the right quantity it's quite pleasant, but it is very sweet and can become sickly with over exuberant application. Anyway, even though I hardly wear them fragrances are great. Honourable mention for Guerlain's Vetiver and Habit Rouge - both masterpieces. Geo F Trumper's Curzon is an excellent spicy splash cologne as well, although the company is best known for it's Sandalwood.

Comment

Bunch of fucking dandies. It'll be powdered wigs too, by the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                      I wear Boss Bottled Intense because, according to the adverts I aim to "be the man of today". Well, I am a man, and it is today...

Although I now wear a much cheaper, practically identical knock off version of it from a company in Northern Ireland.

Top notes are Apple, Orange Blossom and Bergamot; middle notes are Cinnamon, Cloves, Cardamom, Geranium and Lavender; base notes are Vanilla, Sandalwood, Coumarin, Cedar and Vetiver.
                                      So yeah, it's one of the manly ones.

I'm surprised at the level of disdain for scent wearers on this thread. Most perfumes and colognes smell nice (it's one of their selling points), so if I smell a scent on someone it's usually a pleasant experience. Although I agree the mid 90s were a low point for astringent feminine perfumes - a friend's girlfriend used one that really made my eyes stream, perhaps it was that Thierry Mugler one mentioned upthread.
                                      It is an arms war. For you to smell their thread, it has to fight past your own chosen scent. So what to you is a nice touch of parfum is like finding a skunk on your porch to anyone else.

Comment

My friends wife worked for a well known store and was able to get 50% off perfumes so I stocked up on Creed Aventus and a range of Tom Ford EDP.
                                        I have a three squirt strategy when going somewhere special belly, top of chest and top of head. Two squirts when somewhere normal (miss out on top of chest).

Comment

I use regular stick antiperspirant. It’s probably giving me cancer, but it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                                            My friends wife worked for a well known store and was able to get 50% off perfumes so I stocked up on Creed Aventus and a range of Tom Ford EDP.
                                            I have a three squirt strategy when going somewhere special belly, top of chest and top of head. Two squirts when somewhere normal (miss out on top of chest).

Intriguing.

What's the plan?

Comment

My current fragrance is Inis the Engergy of the Sea. I love it.

Comment

Here you go everyone

https://twitter.com/jpgaultier/status/1324759987290316801?s=21

Comment

After listening to a perfume podcast and just before the covid era, I became obsessed with collecting fragrance.

Now, to most people, my collection looks ridiculously large. Fragrance is utterly transcendent. The worst thing about baad fragrances is they're meant to smell pleasant.

Perfume is underrated. Most perfumers will have a chemistry related qualification to allow them to understand exactly what they're doing. It's a perfect mix between art and a scientific approach.

It's generaly very nouveau liberal to want to smell of nothing but end up smelling of the food you just ate or hair or just the mediocre washing powder/conditioner you use or worse, your dried-in body odour(s). Those types should do themselves a favour and do something fabulous for once!

I selfishly assault everyone's smell senses on a regular basis and find performative disgust of a particular fragrance a bit amusing, and for me, pretty much still unheard of, at least to my face. I'm careful not to spray too much of whatever fragrance I'm wearing, for my own benefit.
                                                  Perfumes are all unique and over a short period of time you work out quickly how and where to spray. I sometimes get headaches myself through spraying too much, but understand this is not down to the particular smell but because of how much and where I've sprayed it, and not because I don't like this particular smell but because the intensity stresses the brain and causes the headache.

I had an issue with a sample of Fat Electrician (I think) by Etat Libre d'Orange, which has a very upfront and strong vetiver note, which I could still smell strongly 18 hours later, and after 2 paracetamol and 2 ibuprofen, it put me off vetiver scents for a bit, before I found Lalique's Encre Noir. I like Fat Electrician now.

The fragrance community is a bit prissy and I got banned from one of the main facebook communities for describing something as a bit urinal or pissy, can't remember which. I like how certain women keep their perfume secret, like they're not meant to be wearing a perfume at all and Sarah Jessica Parker's Lovely is their natural emitting aroma or something haha.

Mugler's Angel is absolute classic and one of, if not the first big gourmand frangrances and utterly unisex. It's not my favourite, but if I do wear it I would have 1 spray on each upper arm and 1 on the back of the neck. Alien and Womanity are great too, but would never wear them. The Angel body lotion takes a distinctive note of the perfume and runs with it and is amazing.

Male/Female perfume is utterly all about marketing and social convention and for that reason as a hetero man, there's certain amazing fragrances I wouldn't wear. I would struggle psychologically smelling of Giorgio Beverly Hills for women which is a neon, bright yellow floral. Aromatics Elixir on the other hand I would rock with little issue. I've been told that in the middle east the social convention is different and florals are more of a masculine thing.

I (well fragrance lovers generally) split perfumes into 3 pricing categories. Cheapies, designer, and niche. There's widespread crossover between those as well, some niches are cheap, designers more expensive and so on.

My favourite cheapies today are.

Boucheron - Pour Homme, Oscar De La Renta - Pour Lui, the afore mentioned Lalique, Bentley For Him Intense, Aramis Havana, Giorgio Beverly Hills For Men (and the classic Eau de for women), Agent Provocateur, Youth Dew. Arden's Green Tea, the Alvarez Gomez Agua de Colonia Concentrada range. Magic Night (a Russian rip-off of Magie Noir which smells like the original formulation, apparently)

Designers:

Aramis JHL, Chanel Coromandel, Dior Eau Savage (original 60's one not the modern Depp advertised one), Kiehls original musk, Clinique Aromatics Elixir, Dior - Miss Dior (Roses n Roses), DKNY women Dior- Poison (beast)

Niche.

Both of Lush's Rose Jam (incredibly strong) and Karma (like hippy patchouli), Montale (my favourite house).- Black Aoud, Patchouli Leaves and Intense Cafe Ristretto, Tom Ford - Tuscan Leather (famously smells like cocaine), Frederic Malle's Portrait of a Lady.

My last perfume I bought? Halston Z-14.
                                                  Last edited by Come along, Min; 04-12-2021, 12:49.

Comment

Are you a performative idiot or the genuine article?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X