Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SpyCops Inquiry

Worth reading the reports of the inquiry

For some reason it doesn't appear to be getting the coverage that one might expect.

this story is just astonishing

ROSA

To illustrate the lengths and depths the undercover officers went to deceive and use the women, and the profound life-changing affects it has had on those women, Kaufmann went into some detail about ‘Rosa’ and her relationship with SDS officer Jim Boyling, who used the name ‘Jim Sutton’, as well as Rosa’s extraordinary investigatory efforts to get to the truth the State was denying her.

Rosa was deceived into a relationship by Boyling, who she met as a fellow activist in the urban environmental group Reclaim the Streets and became deeply involved with him in 1999. He disappeared suddenly from her life in the summer of 2000, after behaving erratically and sometimes abusively. He had appeared to be in a fragile mental state and told her that he was going to go off travelling alone, to Turkey, to find himself.

Boyling phoned Rosa and sent her a postcard. She was so worried about his safety that she contacted the Foreign Office. Rosa turned detective and tracked down some phone numbers Jim had called, but the men who answered seemed alarmed by her seeking Jim. She searched for years, but could not find any trace of the history of ‘Jim Sutton’. He continued to manipulate her by asking that she continue writing to him – in retrospect, Rosa thinks so he and his handlers could track her.

ROSA’S INVESTIGATIONS

She used all her savings trying to identify him. She went to South Africa, searching where he said he’d gone. But the digital fingerprints of his emails suggested he was actually in London, so she returned. She worked out his real name, Jim Boyling, and found his school records. Her weight dropped and her health suffered. Just as Rosa was getting close to the truth, Jim was sent back into her life as suddenly as he had vanished. Her relief after all her searching was overwhelming. He now told Rosa that he was an undercover officer, but also told her that he now hated the police and needed her help to escape them. Within two weeks of their reunion, she was pregnant.

She was already suffering serious psychological trauma, which he exploited. He convinced her to change her name by deed poll, oversaw the destruction of her address book, and pressured her to sever ties with her activist friends. Despite his promises, he continued working for the police, alongside Bob Lambert at the Muslim Contact Unit.

THREATS FROM THE MET

Boyling told Rosa that her old activist community was riddled with spycops. He told her about Helen Steel’s being spied on by multiple officers, including Steel’s partner John Dines. Boyling said that any attempt to tell people about it would be spotted before she managed to do anything. He told her she couldn’t be sure which of her old friends were who they said they were.

Jim Boyling whilst undercover in the 1990s

Rosa wanted to work out a way of getting a message to Helen Steel. Boyling’s behaviour had become worse, more erratic, more abusive, but Rosa felt trapped – she now had two children and Women’s Aid said that, as she was fleeing a police officer, they could not guarantee that their ‘safe house’ would offer enough protection.

Things only got worse after Boyling arranged for them to marry at a registry office. The children were both diagnosed with degenerative health conditions. As she watched her children lose their ability to communicate, she was angry that their brightest years had been stolen by the paranoia, fear and abuse that Boyling had inflicted.

Suddenly Rosa received a ‘welfare visit’ from two of Boyling’s police colleagues. One of them was Boyling’s manager Bob Lambert, the other was an unpleasant character called ‘Noel’. He had previously told her to call him if she needed any support. Now he told her that any attempt to reveal the truth would fail because she was up against the full might of Special Branch. She realised his previous offer of help had actually been manipulating her into giving him early warning of any intention on her part to leave.

ESCAPE TO THE TRUTH

Rosa finally felt able to flee in 2007. She got a letter passed to Helen Steel in 2010 and was finally able to meet up with activists later that year. Boyling remained a police officer until 2018, when he was eventually sacked by a disciplinary tribunal because of his relationship with Rosa.

The tribunal itself highlighted some of the lies and inconsistencies told by Boyling, to his managers as well as Rosa. He claimed in his defence that she was ‘an apolitical waitress’ when they met, while in reports made while undercover he described her as a ‘political organiser’.

Rosa wonders to what extent will this Inquiry be able to understand the abuses committed by these spycops units?
    Last edited by Nefertiti2; 10-11-2020, 08:40.

the farce continues

https://twitter.com/DavidSamFrancis/status/1326483567447314432?s=20

Comment

It's technically possible to record something like that locally and play it back at your leisure. It might be illegal, though. It is for ordinary court hearings.

Comment

I guess if you can report it competently it’s de facto proof you broke the law

https://twitter.com/brianwhelanhack/status/1326655339148795905?s=21

Comment

https://twitter.com/thekafkadude/status/1326592963963654144?s=21

Comment

https://twitter.com/katepark_r/status/1326913281680879619?s=21

Comment

"You will be silenced!"

The inquiry- which is into serious police malpractice- seems more and more like the Netflix Trial of the Chicago Seven

Comment

I don't know what to do or say, really. I mean, there's no real surprise for me, and yet a lot of anger, but no-one really seems to care much.

Comment

I think quite a lot of people care, which is why they are making the enquiry and the evidence so hard to access

Comment

I hope you're right.

Comment

https://twitter.com/maxshanly/status/1328453586020397063?s=20

Comment

More

https://twitter.com/Kevin_Maguire/status/1328760026501144579?s=20

Comment

And more

https://twitter.com/robevansgdn/status/1329133462624858124?s=20

Comment

having sex with people you are spying on ="sampling the product"

https://twitter.com/tombfowler/status/1329438688481304577?s=20

Comment

Fuck me.

Comment

I wish I could say that this is surprising, but it really isn't.

Comment

The only time I've got close to detectives they talked endlessly about how much overtime they could get - best was getting a trip to Spain on the job. Lots of overtime beers in the hotel.

I imagine Spycops treated sex with the women they were spying on as one of the perks of the job.

Comment

Working...
                                  X