Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why has the search function gone "phut"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why has the search function gone "phut"?

?

To spite ya.

Comment

Version upgrade. You are welcome to ask about unpaid internships.

Comment

It upset me. I was trying to find the thread of my father's death which was ten years ago on the sixth. Too late now.

Comment

(As ever though, Google proved to be my friend)

Comment

Searching the site through Google is weird as well. It hasn't got a thread from 2 years ago I wrote but one from 11 years ago.

Comment

Snake wrote just after the latest upgrade:

"Could be some fun around Search / Latest posts / as the index rebuilds itself."

Comment

Sorry, missed this thread.

The upgrade cleared the search index. The index won't rebuild because of the diacrit problem. So, search is buggered.

We're rebuilding OTF on a separate server and then trying to fix the diacrit problem on that. It's a fairly delicate operation to set up the replica as you have to - obviously - replicate the problem, which means doing a few things to the config that are out of the norm. Then we try to fix the database and see if it works. The change to the database puts a great load on the servers, plus might make the DB too big for our hosting level - so we have to be careful a) not to affect "live" OTF and b) find out what the effect is on the service level at the ISP. In non-technical terms, if an upgrade is stitching up a nasty cut, tinkering with the database like this is cutting open for surgery.

That's a shit analogy, come to think of it.

The testing is likely to happen next week. If/when we've got confidence that everything will work, we'll schedule it for live.

Comment

Thanks for all of your continued efforts, Snake.

Fingers crossed.

Comment

No worries. I've been trying to get this done quicker, but I'm going to admit here that the past few weeks have been a struggle for me in terms of mental health so I've not been as on the ball with things as I could have been (which feeds back into not getting things done as timely as they should be). But, we're on the path to getting this sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                      No worries. I've been trying to get this done quicker, but I'm going to admit here that the past few weeks have been a struggle for me in terms of mental health so I've not been as on the ball with things as I could have been (which feeds back into not getting things done as timely as they should be). But, we're on the path to getting this sorted.

Hey, do it when it's good for you. Seriously. Your health comes first.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Hey, do it when it's good for you. Seriously. Your health comes first.
                        This. Look after yourself.

Comment

Thirded. We appreciate all the work you put in, Snake, but don't make yourself ill on our account.

Comment

Working...
                          X