• Show
Clear All

Banging on about fireworks again

New petition here.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petit...RaCB8p0HiN6qk0

Recent debate in Parliament:
    https://hansard.parliament.uk/Common...WSvahdekmmrwDg

Comment

If you tried this in Valencia you'd get lynched!

Comment

Setting off bastard fireworks all the fucking time for a quarter of the year?

Comment

Our dad's got some tale about a lad he used to knock about with as a kid having a pocket full of fireworks and them going off and his bollocks being blown to Billog. I should ask him to tell it again.

Comment

Not all the time but for most of the year: festivals, weddings, etc.

Comment

Have you not told them they're shit for cunts? What's wrong with a good old bonfire and burning some plastic, eh?

Comment

Signed. Fireworks should be treated in the same manner as other explosives with only licenced people being able to purchase them from appropriate suppliers. I fucking hate them. Our cat has spent the last two weeks disappearing under the bed every evening and the stray who comes for food 2-3 times a day and usually hangs around has become far more erratic and irregular.

Comment

There's been some movement on this recently; well, Sainsbury's aren't selling fireworks at all this year.

I would hope that the general reduction in gatherings, allied to official civic events being kiboshed due to the pandemic, might mean a quiter evening than normal.

Comment

There's plenty bonfires in Valencia, you just have to know when to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
                      ...might mean a quiter evening than normal.
                      You' d think that, but no. I've still had to put up with a fortnight of what seem to be mortars being set off left, right and centre. I've felt the walls shake at least twice.

Comment

A fortnight? Amateurs. Kids around here have been setting some off pretty much every night since September.

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
                          Our dad's got some tale about a lad he used to knock about with as a kid having a pocket full of fireworks and them going off and his bollocks being blown to Billog. I should ask him to tell it again.
                          I once melted a friend's landlord's polystyrene ceiling tiles when I accidentally set off some fireworks indoors - but thankfully I can't compete with that.

I'm in the 'displays only'-camp these days. Must be my age.

Comment

I'll go and watch the display on Blackheath (given that it's walking distance) but on two conditions:

1. I get to make sarky "OOOOOH" noises
                            2. We go to a restaurant / pub / restaurant then a pub after.

Sadly none of this is happening this year. When I say sadly I very much mean this from the contexts of the poor sods in the hospitality game.

Comment

Aota, Lewes bonfire been cancelled, yet trains also cancelled from 19:00 this evening

Meanwhile in Brighton last night, just after lockdown, brawl erupts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-54822699

GoSbtS, eh?

Comment

This year it has defo been quieter where I live in the darkness on the edge of town, but don't think the same can be said of the more urban areas.

Comment

Not a peep in Aberdeen’s leafy suburbs as yet, thankfully.

Comment

Been going on here since dusk, but that's fine, it is actually Bommy Night. After this weekend it'll be mainly quiet until Christmas.

Comment

Much to my surprise, I've just heard a firework. Wasn't expecting any before Diwalli.

Comment

Quite a few around these parts but we had quite a few last night, slightly surprisingly.

Comment

Some in the middle of the day here. Nothing so far this evening.

Comment

To the surprise of no-one, Glawster's been bangin' and sparrkling' like a good 'un since last Saturday. Cats unimpressed, but with the honourable exception of cheesy DreamiesTM, pretty much nothing impresses them these days.

I'm usually a "only at public organised displays" firework fascist, but for some reason I'm feeling a little more tolerant this year.

Comment

My objections are mainly to the super-loud fireworks (and you know, you can buy quiet ones these days, if you don't get a positive thrill out of being a cunt) and their being let off at random times. Around here, as where I was before in Hackney, they're being let off in the day, right through the evening into the early hours.

The threat of terrorism is currently "severe". If there were to be a terrorist attack, we wouldn't know straight away as we're used to living in what sounds like a war zone. Also, fireworks are ***explosives*** and as I mention every year, my brother built a small bomb by emptying the powder from fireworks into a bottle when he was ten or eleven. Then there are the acts of sadism that I can't bear to read about, kids tying fireworks to cats etc.

When Diane Abbott tried to put a bill through before, Tony Blair said that anti-social behaviour legislation was sufficient. There is no way to catch someone randomly letting off fireworks, it's difficult to prove that they did it, and if it does go to court their defence can make it sound like harmless scampery on a par with knock-down Ginger.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post
                                                I'm usually a "only at public organised displays" firework fascist, but for some reason I'm feeling a little more tolerant this year.
                                                I'm not. I'd make them illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

I'm not. I'd make them illegal.
                                                  Totally, or for public sale?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X