No announcement yet.

Biden - his time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this administration is so obsessed with being centrist that they repeatedly fail to broadcast their victories.

Here is something on the greenhouse gas issue

Throughout the landmark climate law, passed this month, is language written specifically to address the Supreme Court’s justification for reining in the E.P.A., a ruling that was one of the court’s most consequential of the term. The new law amends the Clean Air Act, the country’s bedrock air-quality legislation, to define the carbon dioxide produced by the burning of fossil fuels as an “air pollutant.”

That language, according to legal experts as well as the Democrats who worked it into the legislation, explicitly gives the E.P.A. the authority to regulate greenhouse gases and to use its power to push the adoption of wind, solar and other renewable energy sources.

“The language, we think, makes pretty clear that greenhouse gases are pollutants under the Clean Air Act,” said Senator Tom Carper, the Delaware Democrat who led the movement to revise the law. With the new law, he added, there are “no ifs, ands or buts” that Congress has told federal agencies to tackle carbon dioxide, methane and other heat-trapping emissions from power plants, automobiles and oil wells.

Comment

Have they actually been deliberately holding these things back until closer to November? Rather than doing a "First 100 Days" thing, holding off knowing that they could pass it earlier but wanting to get the credit when it might have some electoral impact? Or is that giving the Democrats too much credit?

Comment

Well at least you didn't throw in screwing up on the Supreme Court to get Dodds through to motivate voters.

I would think legislatively there is a natural inclination to target some things at the midterms (like the student loans), but getting Manchin to be a dick for a year to support the midterms - perhaps not.

Comment

Thread of people complaining about student debt forgiveness who took out PPP loans that were forgiven.

https://twitter.com/trayne_wreck/status/1562587880026808321

Comment

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1562847586230231047?s=21&t=6bPJbLz6VZ767GhSfsbKxQ

Comment

My favourite related tweet is this

https://twitter.com/DeathStarPR/status/1562581167509245954

Comment

see also

Comment

I don't think Herschel Walker has been mentioned here (outside of Sports). The Daily Beast found that the rabidly anti-abortion candidate and super-Christian--surprise!--urged a girlfriend to get an abortion that he paid for in 2009.

https://twitter.com/KELLYWEILL/status/1577074529490604033

Comment

https://twitter.com/mollyjongfast/status/1577109456885673984?s=21&t=ahobwJC1N205rAjSC1uj-Q

Comment

It should be noted that Christian Walker runs a pretty tight business of being a Trumpy free-speech / uncancellable type.

Comment

Yeah, that is really something. Further context for others: Christian Walker is a gay conservative edgelord. I'm not familiar with their relationship, but I assume that he hasn't him come out against his dad like this before.

Herschel Walker was one of the most outstanding college football running backs ever, and won the Heisman Trophy. He made a somewhat poor decision in deciding to play in the upstart USFL after his junior year in college rather than stay in college for another season and then go go the NFL. He played on a team owned by a young businessman named Donald Trump before the USFL went under, then he went to the Dallas Cowboys and had one really good season and then was traded to the Minnesota Vikings for a ton of draft picks, which the Cowboys used to turn into their 1990s dynasty. His campaign has been notable for the number of lies he has told about a past in law enforcement, as well as lying to his own campaign advisors about just how many children he has.

He's a completely terrible candidate, but has a very good chance at being elected to the Senate.
                        Last edited by Incandenza; 04-10-2022, 03:30.

Comment

Georgia and Nevada are now the two key races here, I think. Pennsylvania is probably going to go Democrat (although polling seems to be moving a bit towards Dr Oz in recent weeks), and it looks like Kelly is going to hold Arizona. I think it would be very unlikely for Democrats to make gains in Ohio or Wisconsin, or lose New Hampshire (despite the absolute ton of advertising dollars that we see being spent here). If that's correct (and I know I've done a shit job on prognosticating this in the past, so take it with a massive pinch of salt), the Republicans would need to flip both Georgia and Nevada to get a majority. I am worried about Nevada, so anything that Herschel does to fuck up his candidacy can only be good.

Comment

As always, Ballotpedia is a good source of information

https://ballotpedia.org/United_State...lections,_2022

Comment

My guess would be that the GOP ends up with more seats in proportion to its votes.

Comment

That's not a guess, that is a truism

Comment

And has been since the 1780s. But the disparity may be wider than usual.

Comment

A pedant notes that no Senators were chosen by popular vote in the 1780s

Comment

No, and actually I was just reading that Hamilton and Madison wanted to keep it that way in perpetuity. Only elites had the capacity to exercise the franchise responsibly.

Comment

Very much so.

And the popular vote wasn't used to elect all Senators until 1914 (as a result of the Seventeenth Amendment).

Comment

Remember that Georgia goes to a runoff election if neither candidate gets over 50% of the vote, and there is a Libertarian candidate in the race. Polls that include him have neither Warnock or Walker at 50%, so it's likely that the race won't be over until December.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                            Very much so.

And the popular vote wasn't used to elect all Senators until 1914 (as a result of the Seventeenth Amendment).
                                            Hamilton wanted all Senators and the POTUS to be able to serve for life.

Comment

https://twitter.com/brianbeutler/status/1577424528791474177?s=61&t=hVy_89Go1ZnFJrqCerHt-Q

Comment

Rick Scott is apparently comparing it to the Kavanaugh rape hearing, which you'd think he'd want to avoid doing, but the prick has no self-awareness and thinks he can spin it as a Democrat frame-up.

Comment

https://twitter.com/mepfuller/status/1577827464889393152?s=61&t=5AZRrRANfp9n2EAhkHlXEQ

Comment

Ouch.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X