Biden - his time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biden - his time

As with 'Trump's Card', a place to critique the record and foibles of the President.

(Note to future digital historians: I may have called this too early.)

You just wanted to get that play on words in!

Comment

He's set down a marker by saying he doesn't regard the GOP as an enemy so, at least in the beginning, there will be attempts to work with the Senate, perhaps echoing Bill Clinton. When that (inevitably) fails, we'll see if he has a Plan B. I'd hope also that there's a succession plan for 2024 that doesn't just involve Harris running as GOP-lite.
      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 05-11-2020, 09:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
        succession plan for 2024
        I'm not convinced 2024 won't be a straight rematch.

Comment

How old is Joe? If he wins (I admire the optimism of @johnr) then will he be able to stand for re-election?

Comment

He's 77 for heavens sake, he might not even make it through his first term of office!

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
              How old is Joe? If he wins (I admire the optimism of @johnr) then will he be able to stand for re-election?
              77. Impossible to tell at this moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                He's 77 for heavens sake, he might not even make it through his first term of office!
                No, of course he _might_ not, but an earlier post on this thread talks about a 2024 succession plan as if that is an absolute certainty. We do not know. We cannot possibly know at this moment. That is the entire point.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post

I'm not convinced 2024 won't be a straight rematch.
                  I'd give good odds on Trump being dead by that point. Better odds, in fact, than Biden.

Comment

If not dead then I'd imagine Trump would be in a very bad way, such as having had a stroke or disabling heart attack.

His sons might try to stand but seem too deranged to organize a piss-up in a brewery. Ivanka has other grifts that will still be going in 2024. Rudi will I think be dead or have severe dementia. Pence too lightweight; Rubio discredited outside his Florida enclave by his disastrous 2016 performance. Cruz is self-evidently a slimy cunt who may not hold his own state. The eventual candidate may be someone who is not currently in the political limelight.
                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 05-11-2020, 10:45.

Comment

We have no idea what the world will be like in 4 years time.

Comment

It will be hotter, and wetter; that much we know for certain.

Comment

If the GOP repudiates him, he will be running as an independent...

Comment

I don't think that the Trump sons are deranged, just inherited the stupid gene but not the cunning one. Ivanka will probably try to get in on the sweet, sweet Goop action.

Comment

Thought I'd read somewhere Biden had said recently he's only up for one term..?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                                He'll be 78 by the time he takes office (it's his birthday in a couple of weeks) and will be by some distance the oldest president to take office. Trump is the current holder of the title at 70 (and 220 days), edging out Reagan at 69 (and 349 days). Therefore Reagan was 77 and 349 days when he left office, so provided Biden gets sworn in he will be the oldest ever president overall.

Comment

Alternate thread titles - Trump Topped, Stop Trumps, Sweepy Joe etc.

Comment

Biden has not said anything publicly, but many senior people in the party do not expect him to run for a second term, based in part on statements he has made in private.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...le-term-082129

I find Satchmo's comment about working with the GOP Senate to be a bit strange. They will have a majority (barring all time shock results in Georgia). He doesn't really have a choice.

Comment

Nobody complains about David Attenborough being too old!

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Christ
                                        Sorry, to clarify; I wasn't making an ageist remark about Biden
                                        Of course I get that, no problems.

Comment

He's seriously, boringly, Vanilla and that's probably a good thing right now. Catch a breath, dial down the angst. Figure out what needs to be done and what can be done in the time available. Bring into his cabinet people who are younger, darker, and more clued in to how the world works now than he is. Then light a torch and get ready to pass it on

Comment

I'm afraid one thing Trump has achieved is to get me to think of him as being called "Sleepy Joe".

Comment

I would look for the GOP to run a female in 2024.

Comment

Comment

yeah one of those

Comment

Working...
                                                  X