No announcement yet.

Biden - his time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw an interview of Yellen on French t?l?vision, he could easily pass for French...

Comment

Even more remarkable that she could pass for a he

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
        Genuine lol. He made an excellent first woman Fed Chair...

Comment

"A cabinet that looks like America"

Apparently the aging population problem is more severe than we had first recognized.

Comment

Wow, Yellen has a seriously unapologetic Brooklyn accent on her.

​​​​​​Northeast accents are dying in general, so I think it's good for accent diversity to appoint people like her.

​​​​​
            Last edited by anton pulisov; 25-11-2020, 00:19.

Comment

Is there a detectable difference between Brooklyn and New York accents?

Comment

There isn't really a Manhattan accent. Too many of the residents are from elsewhere.

Natives can usually distinguish among Brooklyn, The Bronx and New Jersey, though a number of the markers are syntax and vocabulary. I developed an ear for Staten Island given the proportion of our administrative staff that spent their entire lives there.

It isn't surprising that Yellen sounds that way given that she grew up in what became Saturday Night Fever country (Fort Hamilton High School Class of '63)

Comment

I couldn't really tell you the features of the accents off the top of my head, but I do tend to remember what famous people or acquaintances from certain places sound like.

For example, there was a woman talking on the phone on the train once, and I predicted she was from Edmonton, because she sounded just like somebody I know from Edmonton. Antoinette Pulisova told me I was full of shit, until the woman on the train mentioned in her mobile phone conversation that she'd be "flying home to Edmonton for Christmas." I mean, people from Calgary probably sound the same, so maybe I just got extra lucky there. Still get a lot of mileage out of that in our house.

​​​​​​

Comment

Henry Higgins!

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                      Ah shit, confused name, it's Blinken I meant...

Comment

As someone on twitter commented yesterday, with Biden, Yellen and Blinken, it's a gerundocracy

Comment

I was quite cross not to have gotten that first.

Blinken moved to Paris when he was nine and attended French schools before going to Harvard. He later practiced law there, so it isn't surprising that his French is strong.

Comment

Quit your Blinken Yellen.

Comment

rahm emmanuel

https://twitter.com/KeeangaYamahtta/status/1333239763265056771?s=20

Comment

I can only assume that's a deliberate provocation. Thanks for getting the vote out for us in those big cities but this is what we really think of you.

Comment

incredible that the talent pool in a country of 330 million people is so small

Comment

I can only assume that all the stories about Rahm Emmanuel getting considered for a job in the administration are being put in the media by Rahm Emmanuel.

Or possibly the Biden team is smart enough (I don't actually think this is the case) that they reckon that when someone else gets the jobs and Emmanuel doesn't, then the Democratic base feels so relieved that they don't question who is actually getting appointed.

I can't see what the political benefit of appointing him is apart from having someone inside the tent pissing out. Even that seems not particularly valuable because only Sensible Centrists care about what he says, and they're surely not going to be arguing that a Biden administration is too radical.

Comment

Surprised not to see any comment on Biden fracturing his foot while playing with his dog, or is it on another thread somewhere?

Comment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55127559

Comment

Doesn't seem to be major, but I expect various opinion pieces worrying about his age / presumed fragility.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                            Doesn't seem to be major, but I expect various opinion pieces worrying about his age / presumed fragility.
                                            I thought it *was* Major?

Comment

Anyway - Dog name hilarity aside, fracturing your foot is rather easy and fixes itself. It seems more a bit foolish rather than anything else.

The real news is they are going to get a cat.

Comment

Great news that they're getting a cat. Also good to know that he actually plays with his dog. I imagine that the current inhabitant doesn't have the empathy to do that, and is probably not physically capable of it, either.

Comment

Good to see that he's acting "out of an abundance of caution". Damn that expression is really getting my goat now.

Comment

There was some lady a while back that tried to give Trump a dog, but he refused, and she was sad because she thought it would teach him empathy. Or something along those lines, I may well be misremembering. The dog had a lucky escape there.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X