• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://twitter.com/JamesSchamus/status/1326490709290070017?s=20

Comment

https://twitter.com/NaomiAKlein/status/1326601344124289025?s=20

Comment

I mentioned it before, but it's worth mentioning again. I know some people who work in energy analysis and they refer to Obama as "the fracking president."

That guy set renewables back about ten years.

Comment

https://twitter.com/heerjeet/status/1326985417376186369?s=21

Comment

great stuff Joe. Lets have more

https://twitter.com/MarkSeddon1962/status/1328439300803997701?s=20

Comment

And then after he said that, there was a pause and then they all burst out laughing with one of the business leaders saying, "you nearly had me believing you Joe, remind me not to face you in a game of Texas Holdem".

Comment

Erin Brockovich (yes, her) has spotted a disappointing appointment.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...rin-brockovich

Comment

some fine gaslighting there from uncle joe

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                    some fine gaslighting there from uncle joe
                    Steady on oh ye of little faith.
                    Joe Biden died in 2007 and was resurrected into the person you see today. He is now a fine man, a decent man who will right the wrongs of this world.

Comment

Well, a finer and more decent man than the outgoing one (who you predicted would win), but maybe not as fine or as decent as the previous man, who you also pillory at every opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                        Erin Brockovich (yes, her) has spotted a disappointing appointment.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...rin-brockovich
                        I expect to see an absolutely massive wave of this.

People who - 6 months ago - were telling us that Biden's a terrible centrist candidate who'll do nothing of use and be in the pockets of Wall Street and the Delaware chem companies, who are then performatively shocked that he's appointed someone dodgy.

But also, the fact that there are going to be loads of appointments. Even a Sanders or Warren would end up appointing some people who've been connected in some way with some shitty organisation. It seems pretty inevitable if you look through a bunch of appointments in any detail that you're bound to find something.

And then you have the opportunity to write the "Oh, Joe Biden, I feel totally betrayed" article.

I mean, really, who actually feels betrayed by Joe Biden appointing someone who worked at DuPont? Weren't you expecting it? And if not, why the fuck not?

Comment

Disappointing is a polite way of saying something much stronger. Shocking isn't the same as surprising. Biden is a horrible centre-right president-elect and will be a horrible centre-right president, and will appoint loads of awful people, as it was always clear he would. And its having always been clear doesn't make it ok.

Comment

I guess that's fair. My main complaint is that these articles always seem to express surprise. But also that people always trawl the appointments because they're desperate to find someone disappointing. Which is never going to be anything other than shooting fish in a barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                              Well, a finer and more decent man than the outgoing one (who you predicted would win), but maybe not as fine or as decent as the previous man, who you also pillory at every opportunity.
                              Sorry WOM, I am contractually obliged to make a Biden comment at least once every 48 hours.

As for the election, am I the only person surprised an unpopular presidential candidate with no base got a record number of votes. And his vice presidential candidate was such a disaster, she dropped out of the race before she lost her own state in the primary.

As for Obama, do you agree anyone who says black men probably voted for Trump because they dug his gangsta rap lifestyle deserves to be pilloried or is that a fair comment?

Comment

I'd see it as just ensuring that these appointments are not overlooked. I think it;s important to do that. Just because all of his appointments are likely to be somewhat less awful than all of Trump's doesn'tmean we should just ignore them.

(Edit: San Bernardhinault )

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

I expect to see an absolutely massive wave of this.

People who - 6 months ago - were telling us that Biden's a terrible centrist candidate who'll do nothing of use and be in the pockets of Wall Street and the Delaware chem companies, who are then performatively shocked that he's appointed someone dodgy.

But also, the fact that there are going to be loads of appointments. Even a Sanders or Warren would end up appointing some people who've been connected in some way with some shitty organisation. It seems pretty inevitable if you look through a bunch of appointments in any detail that you're bound to find something.

And then you have the opportunity to write the "Oh, Joe Biden, I feel totally betrayed" article.

I mean, really, who actually feels betrayed by Joe Biden appointing someone who worked at DuPont? Weren't you expecting it? And if not, why the fuck not?
                                  'American political processes are a broken mess but it's okay because I'm aware of it, which makes it okay'... is how that read.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

As for the election, am I the only person surprised an unpopular presidential candidate with no base got a record number of votes.
                                    I think it richly illustrates how polarising and divisive Trump is. I'd say a large proportion of Biden;s votes were anti Trump. When you have a president who is so fucking awful, that gets people out to vote. I think that;s something we've learned. It doesn;t matter whether or not the one they are voting for inspires them, what inspired a lot of people to vote Biden was the desire to remove Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                      I'd see it as just ensuring that these appointments are not overlooked. I think it;s important to do that. Just because all of his appointments are likely to be somewhat less awful than all of Trump's doesn'tmean we should just ignore them.

(Edit: San Bernardhinault )
                                      Joe will counter balance this by appointing Black faces. Usually the same Black faces who have spent the last year telling black people not to expect anything for their vote.
                                      See lots of "special advisor" roles and and a Black AG who will sit on their hands and pretend to be powerless.

Comment

Biden is no left wing president. We all knew that. But his administration is going to be much better than the current one.

Comment

Biden won't be able to get any really good appointments through the senate anyway, so the best we can hope for is that they're not aggressively awful like the ones Trump had. They'll just be all about "balancing" the economy and the environment, which is horesshit, whereas Trumps people were actively trying to destroy the planet to own the libs.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                            I think it richly illustrates how polarising and divisive Trump is. I'd say a large proportion of Biden;s votes were anti Trump. When you have a president who is so fucking awful, that gets people out to vote. I think that;s something we've learned. It doesn;t matter whether or not the one they are voting for inspires them, what inspired a lot of people to vote Biden was the desire to remove Trump.
                                            Yeah, there is logic to what you say. I have read there were many Biden votes for president whilst voting republican down ballot.

This is a bad sign for the democrats and America in general.

One could read into that most Americans (thats over 50%) still believe in the principles of MAGA but have grown tired of Trumps open bigotry which is actually counter productive for their agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

Sorry WOM, I am contractually obliged to make a Biden comment at least once every 48 hours.

As for the election, am I the only person surprised an unpopular presidential candidate with no base got a record number of votes. And his vice presidential candidate was such a disaster, she dropped out of the race before she lost her own state in the primary.

As for Obama, do you agree anyone who says black men probably voted for Trump because they dug his gangsta rap lifestyle deserves to be pilloried or is that a fair comment?
                                              Not if you actively followed US politics closely, no you wouldn't be surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                                Biden is no left wing president. We all knew that. But his administration is going to be much better than the current one.
                                                In many ways, yes - but not necessarily for those whose material conditions don't change over time (and which will likely mean that the pendulum will swing back to a quasi-fascist in four year's time).

Comment

There's no justification for anyone to vote for Trump under any circumstances so I don't know what I'm supposed to think about Black people voting for him. I suspect that, like everyone else who voted for him, they're either just woefully misinformed and/or just think that anyone who will lower their taxes is good.

Speaking of that, there are not a lot of Black Republicans, but it seems a disproportionate number of them are professional athletes or ex-professional athletes.

There's been a lot written about that. Athletes of all ethnicities often think they're a lot smarter than they actually are because there are so many people around them kissing their ass. Many of them managed to attend and, in some cases, graduate from universities that never would have accepted them in a million years based on their academic record alone, but they don't see it that way. They also tend to believe that just because they managed to get rich by "working hard" that anyone can do it if they try hard enough. They believe in "survival of the fittest" because that has always worked out fine for them. They also don't want to pay income tax on their obscene salaries or pay high property taxes on their ridiculous McMansions.
                                                  Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 19-11-2020, 15:58.

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post

In many ways, yes - but not necessarily for those whose material conditions don't change over time (and which will likely mean that the pendulum will swing back to a quasi-fascist in four year's time).
                                                    Probably.

We're essentially a single-party government that believes the only function of government is to help rich people get richer and stop abortion. That's it.

Nothing ever gets better for bottom 90%, so every four to eight years, they vote for "change" but they don't, as a group, seem to understand what is necessary for actual change and/or they don't care, so we just go round and round with this bullshit.

I deeply envy the Welsh and the Scots right now. They have a real chance - even if it might take a while - to actually create something new and maybe a bit better, rather then just continue to ride this spiral into oblivion.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X