No announcement yet.

Biden - his time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That struck us on our trips to Ohio and Massachusetts in February, but all reports are that it has continued to accelerate.

It is less obvious here in Manhattan because of the nature of employment

Comment

It is fascinating. Everyone I speak to in the higher echelons of business talks about how hard it is to hire people. Although apparently it's got a bit easier over the last couple of months, apparently because inflation has driven people who'd dropped out of the workforce during the first parts of the pandemic to rejoin it.

There's a weird thing about public perceptions of recession right now: because everyone feels inflation, and there's not been inflation for a long time, lots of people are seeing the inflation side of things as being indicative of economic catastrophe. The numbers of unemployed are low, so increasing employment is only seen by a few people. Even if it means we'll probably not have the traditional recession things of mass unemployment and boarded up shops and so on.

Comment

Still waiting to see these cheaper gas prices I keep reading about. Most places around me are still well over $5.50/gallon.

Meanwhile in TN:

https://twitter.com/tnhousegop/status/1555401689070505984

Comment

I worked with a guy with the surname Raper when doing some work in Teeside a decade ago. He was a big guy and I initially assumed it was a nickname

Comment

There was a famous sociologist called Arthur Raper. I try to avoid mentioning him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_F._Raper

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
              It is fascinating. Everyone I speak to in the higher echelons of business talks about how hard it is to hire people. Although apparently it's got a bit easier over the last couple of months, apparently because inflation has driven people who'd dropped out of the workforce during the first parts of the pandemic to rejoin it.
              The predictions I've read are that it'll be an employee's market for at least the next five years. Mainly because many/most people who were on or about retirement age when covid hit haven't returned to work. Arguably the shift could be permanent. Gen Z — and many Millennials — have very different expectations and priorities to their elders. They don't necessarily expect to have careers, houses or families. So taking on massive debt to fund their futures — which many of them are less than sure about in any case — is also less likely.

Comment

The problem remains for Biden that this is a very difficult economy to from a good narrative about. It is in a very classic interpretation a recession. Yet many things are not that way. Plus the Fed aggressively tightening because of inflation makes a lot of pain in many places.

It is all just very uncertain economically right now. Not much of it is Biden’s fault. Mostly because he has not done shit.

Comment

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1556295054750371842?s=20&t=5ZWndnLP4L2-bfi-AVyRfg

Comment

https://twitter.com/djrothkopf/status/1558225600095129600?t=QRorH1Buur2-pTWbwSvgRw&s=19

Comment

Yup. Even Mondale.

Comment

The amount of memes about how you can spend $800 billion and reduce inflation is startling and depressing.

Comment

What do the 'Pres' and 'NV' columns mean?

Comment

Present
                            No Vote

Comment

One can vote Present (not taking a position). NV is Not Voting (abstaining).

Each is relatively rare.

Comment

I think that asually not voting just means someone is sick or on holiday. And usually they find a counterpart in the same boat on the opposing benches to they pair up their lack-of-voting to have no impact. I imagine on a vote like this the Republicans are desperate to perform opposition so nobody wants to be seen not voting against it.

Comment

Less so over here than in Westminster parliaments

In the US, pairing occurs when two legislators in the same chamber agree to allow their votes to cancel each other out. Such pairing can occur between members of the same party. For example, in 2018, Senators Murkowski and Daines (both Republican) paired their votes on the Kavanaugh nomination, so that the former voted "present", while the latter attended his daughter's wedding.

Comment

Ah I see, so NV means they're not even in the building for whatever reason, while present is essentially an abstention? Thanks, gents.

Comment

Laura Loomer is currently ahead in the results of a Congressional primary in Florida.

Realized that some people likely don't know who she is. She's a Muslim-hating conservative grievance merchant. She's Jewish but has allied with several white nationalists that likely have anti-Semetic views. She's also been part of InfoWars and has called several mass shootings staged events. If she wins the primary she will most likely be elected to Congress in November.

From Wikipedia:

Loomer has worked as an activist and journalist for several organizations, including Project Veritas, a right-wing group known for producing secretly recorded and deceptively edited undercover audio and video investigations of media organizations and left-leaning groups. She also briefly reported for the Canadian far-right news website The Rebel Media in 2017, and has occasionally reported for the American far-right conspiracy theory and fake news website InfoWars.

Loomer gained notoriety as a result of being banned from numerous social media platforms, payment processors, vehicles for hire, and food delivery mobile apps for various reasons, including violating policies on hate speech and spreading misinformation. She has also been banned and removed from events, and had press credentials revoked, for harassment and causing disturbances. After her 2018 ban from Twitter, she handcuffed herself to Twitter's headquarters in New York for two hours before police cut through the handcuffs at her request. Loomer was also banned from the March 2019 Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) after attempting to heckle reporters and chasing them through the conference.
                                      Promotion of conspiracy theories

Loomer has promoted various conspiracy theories, mostly related to mass shootings. She has falsely claimed that school shootings in February 2018 in Parkland, Florida, and in May 2018 in Santa Fe, Texas, were staged, and that the perpetrator of the 2017 Las Vegas shootings was affiliated with ISIS. Loomer claimed on Twitter that crisis actors were used for the Santa Fe school shooting, prompting concerns about the amplification of misleading information and conspiracy theories by troll farms and social bots.

In July 2018, Loomer promoted the false narrative that a man arrested with bomb-making equipment and illegal weapons had been a "leftist antifa terrorist."CNN reported that the man in question appeared to be a conservative based on his Facebook profile.

During the October 2018 United States mail bombing attempts, Loomer tried to spread the conspiracy theory that the bombing attacks were a "false flag" operation orchestrated by Democrats.
                                      Nationalism

Loomer has described herself as a nationalist, and called immigrants who refuse to assimilate a threat to American heritage. Asked in 2017 by Haaretz about her views as a Jew participating in an "anti-sharia" event where the neo-Nazi group Identity Evropa was visibly present, Loomer replied, "Oh, this is like an identitarian group. I'm not totally familiar, but I know they believe in preserving white European culture; there is nothing wrong with that, and they are nationalist."

Loomer has described herself as "pro-white nationalism." In 2022, Loomer stated her intention to speak at the annual conference of white supremacist publication American Renaissance.She has additionally attended events with white supremacist Nick Fuentes, and has spoken at Fuentes' white nationalist gathering AFPAC. In 2017, Loomer claimed to be dating alt-right activist Tim Gionet, who had tweeted a photoshopped picture of Loomer inside a gas chamber. Gionet denied that the pair were dating. Loomer has also expressed support for Christian nationalism.
                                      COVID-19

Loomer downplayed the severity of COVID-19, writing in December 2020, "I hope I get COVID just so I can prove to people I've had bouts of food poisoning that are more serious and life-threatening than a hyped-up virus". In September 2021, she said she had become ill with the disease and was battling it with a variety of preparations, including some shown to be ineffective. She announced via Telegram that she was in great pain and requested that people pray for her.
                                      Last edited by Incandenza; 23-08-2022, 23:46.

Comment

Charming. We have one almost identical called Faith Goldy, who also worked for Rebel Media. Not sure how she pays the bills these days.

Comment

I forgot that she suffered what looked to be a tire blowout after hitting a curb or something else on one of the baldest, most beat-up tires you'll ever see, and claimed that her tire was slashed by someone who was out to silence her, leading to one of the best unintentionally funny tweets ever.

Comment

NBC has called it for her opponent

I was the only voter in a polling place with at least 15 poll workers for our primary this afternoon

Comment

I take it that you're not in the Nadler - Maloney squabble?

And am I right in thinking Bill de Blasio is running somewhere?

Sadly Charlie Crist has won his primary against Nikkie Fried. I've no idea if Fried is really any good, but we know that Crist is not going to be able to do enough to beat DeSantis/

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                                I take it that you're not in the Nadler - Maloney squabble?

And am I right in thinking Bill de Blasio is running somewhere?

Sadly Charlie Crist has won his primary against Nikkie Fried. I've no idea if Fried is really any good, but we know that Crist is not going to be able to do enough to beat DeSantis/
                                                Fried was basically reduced to standing on a Woman's Choice agenda. There was more too it, but that is where she ended up.

Comment

Of course I'm in the Nadler/Maloney stramash.

She's a putz.

https://twitter.com/isaacdovere/status/1562033967859220480?s=21&t=tM5sRLnhTPA4WDoR8hdddw

Comment

De Blasio dropped out of the Royal Rumble in NY-10 once his developer pals put in enough money for him to pay off his debts.

He needs to leave town.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X