Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
    a young governor from Arkansas who jacks to Fleetwood Mac
    He what now? I mean, we all know old Bill was oversexed, but...

Originally posted by Sits View Post
    I appreciate old Joe has his shortcomings, but I learned a crucial fact this morning.

He has a rescued German Shepherd Dog.
    He should get on well with fellow President Michael D. Higgins, noted dog-lover, as and when he pays a visit 'home' to Ireland then.

Comment

'run a female"

What are we talking about, horses?

Comment

https://twitter.com/farhip/status/1325240362789707777

Comment

Where’s rejoining the Iran nuclear deal?

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
            Where’s rejoining the Iran nuclear deal?
            He's indicated he wants to re-establish it.

Biden wants to rejoin the deal that was negotiated by President Barack Obama's administration, in which Biden was the vice president. For many in Israel, this would be a strategic mistake and present an existential threat to Israeli national security.

https://www.newsweek.com/joe-biden-n...ad-war-1545468

But for obvious reasons it may be done a bit further down the line, rather than immediately and with fanfare.
            Last edited by Lurgee; 08-11-2020, 06:54.

Comment

Obviously I think Schumer's a vile racist fuck, but those policies all sound good

Comment

I assume that there will be some brutal defenestrations of Trump appointees, especially at the agency formerly known as the EPA.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                  Joe "loves with abandon" says Kamala.

He'll have to cut that out.
                  Maybe she meant he has live music in the bedroom.

Comment

'Live music'? What, like a house band?
                    I don't think I could... erm, well let's just say I think I'd find it pretty distracting to have Jools Holland and his band boogie-woogieing in the corner of the bedroom while I was trying to do anything.

Comment

The house band in the studio is an US thing that I’ve never understood.

Comment

I thought one either jacks or one Fleetwood Macs, but that both at the same time is impossible.

Comment

I'd not be surprised if my reinterpretation of the poetry of The Reynolds Girls actually did correspond with the truth, in the ways Various Artist noted. Perhaps Bubba took "you can go your own way" literally.

Sorry for the Kopfkino...

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                            The house band in the studio is an US thing that I’ve never understood.
                            Didn't Michael Parkinson have one?

Comment

Jonathan Ross had one too, led by Steve Nieve.

Comment

Ross has always stolen everything from Letterman, though.

A band to provide musical accompaniment to a guest doing a turn is fair enough. I meant in the case of providing "banter" and weird musical stings under the host monologues.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                  Jonathan Ross had one too, led by Steve Nieve.
                                  Ross also had Four Puffs and a Piano, for no other reason than to allow him to make an "oo-er missus" gay sex joke every time he introduced them.

Comment

Superb interview in the New York Times today with AOC - even if senior Democrats disagree with her personal politics, they would be wise to heed her advice on how to re-work the party organisation, and generally reach out to the masses.

Comment

I think that house bands on chat shows are actually a carry over from the days of variety shows on radio in the 30s and 40s, when the format featured more full numbers and a greater proportion of music in general.

The still current incarnation became dogma with Doc Severinsen on Johnny Carson's Tonight Show

Comment

Doesn't even have to be bands, either. The Price is Right has featured the voiceover guy (current incarnation: George Gray) almost as much as the host over the years, and the extent to which it's been about the bantz has increased as time has passed.

Comment

That.guy also comes.from radio, where his primary role was to read adverts.

Comment

I learned today that Biden had his honeymoon (the second one, with Jlll) at Lake Balaton in Hungary. In 1977. A US senator having his honeymoon behind the iron curtain must have raised a few eyebrows, no?

(closely linked to his very close friendship with Tom Lantos, a congressman and Hungarian holocaust survivor)

(Anyway this is all good news because it strongly suggests he's not going to overlook Orban's shit)

Comment

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/07/u...gressives.html
                                              Is there a universe in which they’re hostile enough that we’re talking about a Senate run in a couple years?

I genuinely don’t know. I don’t even know if I want to be in politics. You know, for real, in the first six months of my term, I didn’t even know if I was going to run for re-election this year.

Really? Why?

It’s the incoming. It’s the stress. It’s the violence. It’s the lack of support from your own party. It’s your own party thinking you’re the enemy. When your own colleagues talk anonymously in the press and then turn around and say you’re bad because you actually append your name to your opinion.

I chose to run for re-election because I felt like I had to prove that this is real. That this movement was real. That I wasn’t a fluke. That people really want guaranteed health care and that people really want the Democratic Party to fight for them.

But I’m serious when I tell people the odds of me running for higher office and the odds of me just going off trying to start a homestead somewhere — they’re probably the same.

has the AOC interview in the New York Times been covered yet?

Comment

Yes

Comment

Hungary always had a bit of a special status in US Cold War discourse.

For somewhat opaque reasons, it wasn't seen to be as "Communist" as the other Central European states (though also not Yugoslavia).

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                    Yes
                                                    It was posted- But not really discussed as far I could see.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X