• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I view that as reinforcing my point.

Comment

California voters reject Trumpiness.

Film at 11

Comment

Governor of California is one of those jobs that sounds cool and probably helps open doors for one's kids and what not, but actually sounds pretty damn miserable.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          California voters reject Trumpiness.

Film at 11
          American voters reject Trumpiness at the same levels even when Trump is not on the ballot, and even in an election that's meant to be low turnout, and with a theoretically unpopular governor. As the election - and therefore reality - got closer the rejection of Trumpiness got more and more pronounced in the polls

Look, you're probably right. But as there can be no evidence to categorically disprove my argument, and my argument makes me feel good, I'll stick with it for a little white

Comment

Good typo.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
              Governor of California is one of those jobs that sounds cool and probably helps open doors for one's kids and what not, but actually sounds pretty damn miserable.
              I think Inca has posted before about the levers of power which the Governor doesn't actually have. Ability to raise / implement taxes and such. The job seems largely hamstrung from the get-go.

Comment

Sometimes you can veto things, right? That must be fun, vetoing things.

California is not allowed to raise taxes anyway, is it? Isn't it in the constitution or some such nonsense?

Comment

Yes, one can.

Two-thirds majority in each house to overrule.

Comment

Proposition 13 severely restricts the State's ability to raise taxes on real property (and has severely hamstrung its ability to meet the needs of its people).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_C...Proposition_13

Comment

California's approach to real estate property is extremely depressing.

Comment

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1438217951073607684?s=21

Comment

One of the most surprising things from looking at the graph when you click through is that Marin is the most vaccinated county in California.

Comment

Only for COVID, though

Comment

Oh, I'm sure. But it's still a little bit of a head turner given the county's reputation for anti-vax craziness and measles outbreaks

Comment

The peer pressure in the relevant communities that we are familiar with has been quite intense and the large outbreak from the unmarked symptomatic kindergarten teacher caused even more people to get religion,

It is also important to keep in mind that those are adult rates, and the crunchy anti-vaxx sentiment in Marin has always been about vaccinating children.
                                Last edited by ursus arctos; 15-09-2021, 20:19.

Comment

I'm actually pretty sure that's overall vax rates, including kids. I know SF is around 75% of all residents fully vaccinated. Your other points are well noted.

And the correlation between politics and vaccination now makes me wonder if the general anti-vax sentiment amongst crunchy Marin-ers might dissolve pretty quickly.

Comment

Are you sure?

The state calculates percentages on the basis of the 12 and over population.
                                    • Percentage of people partially or fully vaccinated is calculated as people vaccinated divided by the number of people 12 years of age and over.
                                    https://covid19.ca.gov/vaccination-progress-data/

Comment

I am sure - if you click through that link to Marin, then it's 87.5% of the eligible population (12+) that's fully vaccinated, and 94% at least partially vaccinated. Which would make 77%(ish) of the total population seem about right. And those numbers are true for SF too (data here: https://sf.gov/data/covid-19-vaccinations)

Comment

Any mention of what is going on in Del Rio Texas. Apparently a bunch of migrants trying to get over the border?

Comment

The vast majority of whom are Haitian

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/17/10384...an-official-sa

A comment that reflects my own feelings, from a baseball newsletter of all things

Yesterday U.S. Border Patrol agents were captured on video and in photos on horseback and wielding what appear to be their horse’s reins as whipswhile chasing Haitian migrants trying to cross the Rio Grande near Texas. Migrants whose sole “crime” is attempting to find safety and solace in the face of natural disaster and political upheaval which is, in most important respects, the doing of the policies of the United States and its hegemony over basically everything that happens in the Western Hemisphere.

This unfathomably dehumanizing display — and all of that which led to it — is a stain on our country. It is evidence that our nation’s cruelty toward immigrants and racial minorities is one of its only truly bipartisan qualities. It must end and it must be atoned for. I am fairly confident, however, based on the entirety of our nation’s history, that it never will be.

This is who we are. This is what is done in our name and has been done for centuries. It’s utterly heartbreaking.

]
                                          Last edited by ursus arctos; 21-09-2021, 15:16.

Comment

Yeah, the Democrats can make some improvements around refugees and quotas, but they don't seem willing to take on ICE or the Border Patrol.

Comment

Or a not insignificant minority of their Congressional delegation

Comment

I've always been baffled at the entire concept of a "quota" of refugees. The US will accept 100,000 refugees this year. Under Trump the quota was something even more risible like 15,000.

But either way, it's nonsense. How can you define how many people are going to be fleeing persecution? Are you therefore admitting you're going to be turning away people who need asylum?

(Of course, the definition of asylum is also always way too narrow but that's an extra leap.)

Comment

Same way they have quotas on H1B visas (without having any determination on what jobs they apply for). You can't have unquantified anything.

Comment

It is trillion dollar coin time again.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X