Berlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Berlin

Going there on Saturday, not even looked at a guidebook or booked a hotel yet.

Any where to go/what to do information gratefully received.

Berlin

Enormous amounts to see and do, really. The film & television museum at Potsdamer Platz is quite wonderful, and I'd recommend the DDR museum as well (on the Spree opposite the Berliner Dom). They're both pretty easy walks from the main museum area.

Hackescher Markt is nearby as well, and has some nice cafes/shops (or did when I was last there in 2008). If you're planning a trip out to the Olympic Stadium, bear in mind it's a fair old journey.

I hear they've finished the Topography of Terror exhibit on what was the SS headquarters, which was very moving and worth a visit. You can stumble on a lot in Berlin though, so you don't necessarily need to be going through guidebooks a lot.

Comment

Berlin

I stayed here and I'd recommend it. Nice hotel good area. That said I've got a friend who rents apartments - can send details

Comment

Berlin

2009 thread.

Up there with London and Paris for endlessly fascinating in my book.

Comment

Berlin

Pretty much equal with London as Best City in the World, I reckon.

Go to the King's Pub on Kufurstendamm and say "hello" to Klaus, the guy who runs it. He's a truly lovely bloke, and something of a Berlin institution from what I can gather.

(if you're thinking of taking me up on that PM me - I have a couple of photos of him with my kids that I'd love to get to him. Taken during my volcano-extended stay a couple of years ago)

And don't forget the lipbalm. Even in summer.

Comment

Berlin

That thread reminded me to make enquiries, and I can report that as far as is known by my associates, Matt Frei was not, at school, known as "Arbeit".

(This was, it's thought, because he was one of the really cool kids, and they didn't get the piss ripped.)

Comment

Berlin

He came to speak at ursus minor's school last year and we chatted for some time.

He still is quite cool.

This is a great English-language website on Berlin tips that I discovered through Twitter. Definitely worth perusing.

Comment

Berlin

A great city to visit with so much to see, it's difficult to know what to recommend.

I was there again last year and stayed at a friend's place near the Spree (and also near the Ministry of the Interior) in Moabit. Can recommend the Sommergarten beer garden just behind the St. Johannis Kirche. Cheap beer, friendly staff, and a huge screen if football is on too. Lovely.

Other than that: take your pick from the museums, and if you don't fancy queueing at the TV tower, go up the old Funkturm instead for some different panoramic views of the city.

Comment

Berlin

Last time I was there I went on a boat trip, from Charlottenburg to just past the Ostbahnhof, that's a pretty good way to see the city, although you'd want it to be a nice day.

Comment

Berlin

Cool pre-war Berlin transit maps.

Comment

Berlin

Just got back, absolutely loved it.

Stopped in Grimm's Hotel in Spitel Markt district and it was fine - and great value at a hundred euros for two nights.

Holocaust Memorial and Jewish Museuem both wonderful and harrowing in equal measure.

Found good restaurants, reasonably priced.

Barely touched the city in three days - oh, and Hertha escaped relegation while we were there.

Comment

Berlin

Well, they should beat Fortuna, anyway.

Comment

Berlin

Since the playoffs were introduced, (I think), the 2nd division team has lost every time - the 16th from the BL always beats the 3rd from the 2BL, and the 3rd in the 3rd Liga always beats the 16th from the 2BL.

Wrong thread, isn't it? Inappropriate.

Comment

Berlin

Just as inappropriate:

You're talking about the play-offs that were re-introduced three or four years ago, right? Because I can remember watching St Pauli disappearing from the top flight after losing to Stuttgarter Kickers in 1991. I think Bielefeld also went down a few years before that after losing to a team from the second division.

(They played "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" over the PA system at the end of the second St Pauli match and loads of the St Pauli fans started blubbing. A mate of mine, who takes St Pauli far more seriously than anybody ought to, still can't hear that song now without suddenly discovering "something in his eye".)

Comment

Berlin

Yeah, sorry, I do mean since the re-introduction.

Comment

A re-boot or as EIM would put it "Rogin's booked another holiday everyone". Literally only one day for sightseeing in Berlin though - on a Thursday if it makes a difference - as we fly in the evening before and out again on Friday. I expect we'll stay in or near Alexanderplatz, just to try and go up the tv tower early or late, so a kind of circular itinerary beginning and finishing there is our plan. Any updates to things above to try and do on an all day walking tour of the obvious big monuments?

Comment

Should I buy Wingco's book or can I just revisit Achtung Baby and assume they've nailed it? I did like that album.
                                  Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 17-02-2019, 16:00.

Comment

There are a zillion ways to do this, none of which are wrong, but consider

From Alexanderplatz, walk along the Viaduct to Haeckescher Markt, where you can find a variety of breakfast/coffee options. Continue across the Spree to Museuminsel and visit the one that strikes your fancy. Leave the island by the Schlossbrücke and walk down Unter der Linden to Brandenburger Tor. From there, follow the edge of the park (passing the Holocaust Memorial) to Potsdamer Platz. From there, you have multiple transport options back to Alexanderplatz, though if you want to see Checkpoint Charlie, it is on the way back.

Comment

A couple of friends were visiting Germany in the summer of 1989. One of them really wanted to go through Checkpoint Charlie but time was a bit limited. "We'll do it next year his girlfriend said".

I went through in 1988. The guards weren't very good. One of my mates slipped through without even being searched.

Comment

All the Berlin threads on here and you disinter this one (not that it's a problem, like).

Alexanderplatz is an odd one. Lots of people will tell you it's everything wrong with Berlin, but I'll tell you it's everything that's right with it. UA will probably agree.

See the Marienkirche. Go up the Fernsehturm, have a Sekt breakfast in the revolving restaurant. Walk along Unter den Linden and see Brandenburger Tor. Wander through Tiergarten and see the Chick on the Stick. Alternatively, just hang about and watch the world go by.

I fucking love Berlin.
                                        Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 17-02-2019, 22:59.

Comment

Potsdamer Platz is everything wrong with contemporary Berlin.

Comment

I hear ya.

Comment

Incidentally, there's a small "Austrian" restaurant just off Alexanderplatz which does the - THE - best pea, ham and sausage soup you'll ever have. You need a really cold day to get the benefit, though.

Comment

And yet I still put in on my suggested walking tour because I think it is important to what the city is at the moment.

I like Alexanderplatz, but do think it is a strange place to stay, unless Kino International are renting rooms now.

Comment

It's a very odd place to stay. We generally stay around Checkpoint Charlie; it's in the business district but it's quiet at night, and Berlin is eminently walkable. Also very close to Gendarmenmarkt which is worth seeing at any time.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X