No announcement yet.

Berlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I stayed in a soulless but comfortable corporate hotel on Fredrichstrasse near Unter den Linden, which was a very handy location. Also v close to decent only half touristy/half dive bar beer and schnitzel/pork knuckle joint Treffpunkt, with an enjoyably surly owner.
    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 17-02-2019, 23:31.

Comment

On Mittelstrasse? Yeah, it's not bad for a beer and a bite to eat.

Comment

That's the bunny.

Comment

I love the German Film Museum.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
            A re-boot or as EIM would put it "Rogin's booked another holiday everyone". Literally only one day for sightseeing in Berlin though - on a Thursday if it makes a difference - as we fly in the evening before and out again on Friday. I expect we'll stay in or near Alexanderplatz, just to try and go up the tv tower early or late, so a kind of circular itinerary beginning and finishing there is our plan. Any updates to things above to try and do on an all day walking tour of the obvious big monuments?
            If there's a line at the TV tower, skip the damn thing and instead go up this baby instead. Great views too, but no line, and it's just off Potsdamer Platz where you'll swing by anyway.

The TV tower is obviously more iconic, but if you only have one day you want to skip as many lines as possible.

Comment

Nah, Panoramapunkt isn't a patch on the tower. Nice cafe, though.

EDIT: besides which, if you're worried about the line at the TV tower, book a seat in the revolving restaurant. That way you get to skip the line.

Comment

Or book online in advance for the viewing gallery and you get fast tracked; 20 minute wait at most.

Comment

The view from the Reichstag dome is quite something as well, especially at sunset.

Comment

Ah, there weren't line skipping options when I was last there. As you were.

Same for the Reichstag. Walk up there at ten in the morning: "yeah, the first ticket is for three in the afternoon". No thanks.

Comment

Did Berlin, and Germany remarkably, for the first time for a weekend over Christmas. Stayed in Landsberger Allee, on the edge of Prenzlauerberg. And generally preferred the eastern side of the city. I don't know if "recommend" is the right word, but the Stasi Museum is grimly compelling and definitely worth a look. There's also some feisty anti-gentrification protests going on around - perhaps appropriately - Karl Marx Allee and ParisCommuneStrasse. Plus the usual recommendations to consume beer and sausages.

Comment

Stasi museum seconded. When we were there one of the Museuminsel places had a huge exhibition about DDR magazines, which was amazing.
                        my favourite day was walking around the soviet war memorial and nearby park/riverside which took us to an old factory now used as an indoor flea market. Much cheapness!

PS: thinking of going back this summer for the Bauhaus anniversary- maybe hire a car and visit the buildings outwith Berlin
                        Last edited by Felicity, I guess so; 21-02-2019, 08:23.

Comment

Thanks for all this so far! We've ended up booking a hotel just the other side of the Spree, not on Alexanderplatz, as it looked a bit more central to evertyhing recommended to go to on a walking tour. We've booked the tv tower fast track tickets for our first evening, fingers crossed on a decent sunset.

Comment

Working...
                          X