British Regional Food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British Regional Food

This has been on my mind for a while. How we don't see or value the regional differences of cooking in the UK. Beyond, I think, where it is packaged as part of something for tourists.

All my thoughts are still pretty inchoate but I wanted to draw people's attention to this sample of some regional chippy traditions. Vittles, the newsletter as a whole, is pretty much essential reading and well worth paying for the extra bits. I'm really not convinced by the Pastie and chips from Belfast though.

I have had a few of those. Including pie barm.

Comment

Glad to see they went for the patty as representative of Cumbria - when I started reading it I feared they would do the lazy option of Cumberland sausage which, as much as I like it, is best enjoyed outside of the chippy context (they usually have it as an option though). Even more pleasingly the photo comes from what used to be my local chippy (and which was briefly part owned by my cousin many years ago).

Comment

I walk past the chip shop with the Justin Bieber Haggis every time I visit Glasgow but that's not difficult, it's right outside the main entrance to Glasgow Central.

All I have is questions, where's the curry, chips and rice? Or the simple fish and chips?

Comment

Well Cardiff gets Chips, cheese, gravy/curry and rissole.

Can we have a name change to British and Irish please? I'm sorry everyone.

There was a chippy in Bradford that used the American spice. I wonder if they'd moved from Hull.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
            . I'm really not convinced by the Pastie and chips from Belfast though.
            How dare...actually you are quite right. They're gross

Comment

Well Cardiff gets Chips, cheese, gravy/curry and rissole.

Can we have a name change to British and Irish please? I'm sorry everyone.

There was a chippy in Bradford that used the American spice. I wonder if they'd moved from Hull.
              Don't worry about Irish, whoever said that "the Irish take the best ingredients in the world and then cook the shit out of it" wasn't far wrong.

Comment

I'm surprised Spice Burgers weren't referenced in that article. Those spice bag things make me feel out the loop, it was all chips in disgusting garlic cheesy mess that pissed up culchies would eat post Quinn's back when I were in Drumcondra.

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you cant go wrong with a battered haggis or black pudding.
                  Last edited by Lang Spoon; 30-10-2020, 18:31.

Comment

Smack barm pey wet

Comment

Thanks for the link- vittles is great

im hungry now.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                        Smack barm pey wet
                        Oh yes...

Comment

Wot no parmo? Or London pizza which as the name suggests is another traditional Teesside dish (and gross)

Comment

Babysyed is missing too...

Comment

There's a chippy near me that has recently put up a sign in the window announcing they now offer a "Salt and Pepper box". It's not entirely clear what this contains, but I'm not planning to investigate too closely - they've decorated the sign with a smiley face but given it ears that suggest it's meant to be either a cat or mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
                                There's a chippy near me that has recently put up a sign in the window announcing they now offer a "Salt and Pepper box". It's not entirely clear what this contains, but I'm not planning to investigate too closely - they've decorated the sign with a smiley face but given it ears that suggest it's meant to be either a cat or mouse.
                                I had one of them from a chippy in Bootle a couple of weeks ago - the siu mai could've been rodent based but everything else was ok (if massively unhealthy).

Comment

You have to be careful with Bootle. For those of us who used to live in Blundellsands - oh I know! the poshness! - Bootle was a semi no-go neighbourhood.

https://www.ilivehere.co.uk/category...and/merseyside

From that site (an obvious pisstake):

I think it is fair to say that nearly all of Merseyside is one colossal sh*thole. For those on the Wirral and in Southport who dispute this, they should remember that, if it wasn’t for the City of Liverpool, where 95% of their populations work, they would be sh*tholes of poverty, sink estates and desperation.

But Bootle, a “town”, four miles North of Liverpool City Centre is undoubtedly the worst place there. It is a place, like the rest of Merseyside, full of criminals (most of Bootle’s male population have seen the inside of HMP Walton) paedophiles, druggies, alcys, loud-mouthed, two-faced gobshites who think they’re hard, fat ***** with kids by different fathers, *****, self-pity merchants – it is truly a dump.

Comment

There was a big government office in Bootle called St John 's House that everyone dreaded being sent to for meetings. One of my bosses had his boot crowbarred open and his laptop and briefcase nicked while he was driving off site, literally waiting to turn out of the main gate.

Comment

I worked in SJH briefly and when I first moved down here I lived about half a mile away. People working there suffered from sick-building syndrome and it eventually got blown up and a new St John's House was built on the site. It's a really nice building, a fuckload nicer than the shitholes I've had to work in in central Liverpool.

Comment

My dad worked in one of the other government buildings round there, named after some other saint. From the sounds of it, it was perhaps the best located as it was next to the park and gave a view over Liverpool. When he got a promotion he said the downside was having down few floors where the view was more of the adjacent dual carriageway.

Comment

I still find Liverpool is the only place in Britain where you can get a decent fishcake.

Comment

What's a Liverpool fishcake? Is it like a Yorkshire one?

I could go for a scallop bap right now.

Comment

I'm partial to a Cheese 'n' Onion fry-it with chips and mushy peas when the mood takes me. Their appeal is selective so the fryer always has to get a fresh one from the fridge/freezer.

A Cheese 'n' Onion fry-it is a bit like a fish cake without the fish (can you guess what's there instead?) and they always remind me of Kendo Nagasaki and Big Daddy because I had a few at the time during my primary school years.

Comment

What's a Liverpool fishcake? Is it like a Yorkshire one?

I could go for a scallop bap right now.
                                                Fish mixed with mashed potato in batter then deep fried. Everywhere else I’ve had them they’re pitifully thin with orange breadcrumbs on them.

Comment

Working...
                                                X