Phrases That Originated in Films, TV or Literature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
    And in the other direction The Detroit Spinners (or sometimes Motown Spinners), renamed in certain markets to avoid confusion with the folkies from England. Not an altogether successful tactic, because the latter's Wiki page lists “Working My Way Back To You" as their most successful chart hit in Australia, peaking at number 12 in 1980.
    Given that the latter was a UK number-one single for the Detroit variant that year, I'm a little surprised that it's gone unchallenged on Wiki.

The Chameleons (UK) and The Mission (UK) were further bands that had to add said suffix in America - whereas Yazoo (Yaz) and (The) Verve changed their names to avoid litigation from US record labels. (Obviously the latter made their name-change universal.)

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
      "Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll (/we'll) begin"
      One of the biggest 'big in Canada only' bands of the '80s was Platinum Blonde. The above line is a lead in to the album's first track, It Doesn't Really Matter. I'm betting that 98% of teens at the time had no idea it was from somewhere else or what that somewhere else might be.

Comment

Working...
      X