Wi-Fi woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wi-Fi woes

I’m having endless problems with my Wi-Fi, on a home network fed by fibre. Most days, the connection will drop on my laptop (running on Windows 10), while available on all other devices. Troubleshooting will then fix the network adapter. Attempts to reinstall the network adapter, which seems to have chronic arthritis, have been unsuccessful. Windows insists I have the best version and there’s nothing wrong here.

Other times it will claim that there is no Internet connection when clearly there is. Troubleshooter is unhelpful, giving vague ideas of what the problem might be. Then it will connect, but everything is going very slow, if at all.

This morning, troubleshooter suggested that a security or firewall setting might be blocking the connection. Which would be a spontaneously appearing problem. Google has been less than helpful. Disabling all firewalls, as an experiment, gave no hint of a solution.

Then, suddenly, everything comes on again, giving me hope that the problem has resolved itsef. But I know that this hope will be crushed. In ten minutes, in an hour, tomorrow or on Wednesday. But crushed it will be, and I shall start the same maddening rigmarole again.

This situation is maddening, to the point that I have had to fight the impulse of taking a hammer to this shitty laptop (seriously, avoid Asus. Piece of mis-spelled crap). Anybody here have some bright ideas?

Could be the router rather than the laptop.

Comment

Buyt the router is working well for all other devices, including my wife's two laptops, when my Asus itches.

Comment

Working...
      X