No announcement yet.

Marcus Rashford Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could it be MAD (as in mutually assured destruction)? (I don;t know any German so have no idea, but that is an acronym that would presumably have been translated)

Edit: I guess not as Google suggests that would be GZZ - Gegenseitig zugesicherte Zerst?rung

Comment

grosster anzunehmender Unfall

Sometimes analogisised to Worst Case Scenario, and generally used in relation to Chernobyl type events rather than military apocalypses.

Legal German is chock full of acromyms
      Last edited by ursus arctos; 26-10-2020, 17:16.

Comment

NI Politics had VANGUARD for a while in the 70s (Vaporise All Nationalists- Guard Ulster Against Republican Domination)

Comment

Back to business: We knew him when he was still drawing with crayons on the walls of his parents' lounge (which was inappropriate for a 36-years-old man), but now we can certify David Squires as a national treasure. The analog TV sets gag is genius.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...n-school-meals

Comment

With reference to yesterday’s discussion on the SAT test, my son had to sit a SAT test as part of the acceptance criteria for his football (no way, am I calling it soccer) scholarship at as university in the USA. The SAT just seemed to be maths and English questions, with a lot of multiple choice in it. He was in the middle his A levels at the time and said the SAT test was way easier than A levels and probably not as hard as GCSE English or maths. He pass the SAT score requirement by a mile and he’s no ace student.

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post
              no ace student.
              That would be required for a tennis scholarship.

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post
                With reference to yesterday’s discussion on the SAT test, my son had to sit a SAT test as part of the acceptance criteria for his football (no way, am I calling it soccer) scholarship at as university in the USA. The SAT just seemed to be maths and English questions, with a lot of multiple choice in it. He was in the middle his A levels at the time and said the SAT test was way easier than A levels and probably not as hard as GCSE English or maths. He pass the SAT score requirement by a mile and he’s no ace student.
                I did it when I was 14. I can't imagine that it plays much more than a minor role in determining college admission. The Maths was definitely at a level comparable to that which a 14 year old irish person would be doing in school. Is there any calculus in it? I can't remember. I wouldn't have run into that yet.

Comment

Of course there isn't any calculus in it.

How else could well over 50 percent of the students who graduate high school in a country with execrable educational standards "qualify" for university (and that doesn't count athletes).

I can't imagine that it plays much more than a minor role in determining college admission.
                  You are shockingly naive about the standards of many US colleges
                  Last edited by ursus arctos; 27-10-2020, 22:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
                    Guy Mowbray on Match of the Day; "Even if you don't agree with his causes.." I re-wound it and played it again, he really did say it; "Even if you don't believe in his causes.."

No other words.
                    The BT commentators on the Man Utd game tonight have just given an unequivocal endorsement of Rashford and what he's campaigning for. I'm sure they're aware that others may not agree.

Comment

He's on his first ever Manchester United hat trick, having been fouled for a penalty, and he gives the ball to Martial instead.

Comment

https://twitter.com/MarcusRashford/s...000007687?s=19

God he's good

Comment

And against Red Bull a nourishment free sponsorship

Comment

Won't lie, I'm slightly smitten.

Comment

Even better

https://twitter.com/marcusrashford/status/1321584910654705665?s=21

Comment

Turned on the news to hear he'd smacked three and wondered "Sunak, Hancock, Williamson?"

Meanwhile, my local MP Sorry Suzanne Webb is sulking..

Originally posted by Dudley News
                                The Tory MP, who voted with Conservative colleagues against extending free school meals for children in England over the half-term holiday, claims the stunt is "politically driven" and a sign that "cancel culture has arrived in Stourbridge"

Comment

Comment

How about the sheer brazen balls on this Tory wanker?

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                      Fuck her. Either own your votes or fight your corner. Don't fucking complain about being "cancelled" you snowflake whine with a fringe.

Comment

Indeed. Unlike her predecessor Margot James, Snowflake Suzi rarely visits anyway, but it's the principle that counts

Comment

I don't know what it is either. I've always filed it with political correctness and do-gooder as a phrase right-wingers use to describe something they don't like but are not intelligent enough to articulate why.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post

I don't know what it is either. I've always filed it with political correctness and do-gooder as a phrase right-wingers use to describe something they don't like but are not intelligent enough to articulate why.
                                            In another online space I've seen it used to describe the utter hypocrisy of right wing Christians so I think it depends how the term is used and what it's describing. Ditto "performative outrage".

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                              The Tory MP, who voted with Conservative colleagues against extending free school meals for children in England over the half-term holiday, claims the stunt is "politically driven" and a sign that "cancel culture has arrived in Stourbridge"
                                              Of course it's politically driven. Her own decision, as a politician, is what led to it.

Comment

The Daily Star's front page today reports that Basil Brush wants Marcus Rashford to be made PM, with him as Deputy.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post

I think it's one of the many legit catchphrases which the right appropriate and weaponises. Like Fake News. Virtue signalling would be an act of vanity. Now it has been turned into weapon to be deployed by the virtueless against those of genuine virtue.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                                    Of course it's politically driven. Her own decision, as a politician, is what led to it.
                                                    Hard to tell how dim Suze actually is, as I mentioned she rarely shows. But she certainly treats her voters as thick.

Originally posted by G Man
                                                    Virtue signalling would be an act of vanity
                                                    I was first aware of something similar as a child. My Granny (fairly old-time religious even by 70s NI standards) would say "The Lord loves a cheerful giver" to chide anyone seeking credit for their charity

Comment

Working...
                                                    X