Can You Identify My Tree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can You Identify My Tree?

We have these in the garden. They seem to spread by rhizome as we've got 3 of them now and I've never see any seeds.
    They look a bit like Stag's Horn Sumach but they don't get the big conical bundles of berries.
    The leaves turn a beautiful orange/red in Autumn and stay that way for ages before dropping. Oh and only the young branches carry leaves and those branches are red and have a light fur on them.
    Over to you garden nerds!

Comment

Comment

Without checking it looks like something from the Ash family. I’ll see if I can dig out my books later on.

Comment

There's Plantnet which is like the Shazam of botany https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US

Comment

I don't know what it is but from the first couple of pictures there's loads round here growing out of any old nook and cranny, particularly from the base of other trees. I've seen a couple on the way to the shops and back this morning. They clearly reproduce easily.

Comment

According to my Woodland Trust app, it's an ash. But it identifies every tree as an ash, regardless of whether or not it is. It also says it could be a Rowan or an Elder, but it's not one of those either, I don't think. This raises the possibility that it's not a indigenous British tree, or it could just be that the app is bobbins.

Comment

It could be a Virginia Sumac.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                  It could be a Virginia Sumac.
                  think you've confused your Woodland Trust App with your contacts.

Comment

According to my Woodland Trust app, it's an ash. But it identifies every tree as an ash, regardless of whether or not it is. It also says it could be a Rowan or an Elder, but it's not one of those either, I don't think. This raises the possibility that it's not a indigenous British tree, or it could just be that the app is bobbins.
                    Maybe every tree is an ash.

Comment

As I got no help on the matchgoing thread :

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Anyone know what these trees are? I got asked on social media ;

Comment

Looks like a flameleaf sumac to me.

Comment

Hobbes's not Ray's.

Comment

Ray’s are silver birches I think.

Comment

I’m plumping for Rhus Typhina (Staghorn Sumach) for Hobbes’ one. Quite an invasive tree/shrub that likes poor soil and puts out suckers.

Agree Ray’s is possibly Silver Birch, noting the light bark, but it’s hard to be sure from that pic.

Comment

Aye. Silver Birches for Rays

Comment

Funnily enough I was going to start a tree thread the other day inspired by these beauties. Canary Palms? And yes, I know palms technically aren't trees

Comment

I reckon it's either a flame leaf or Stags Horn Sumac then.
                                    Oddly neither of them have fruited or flowered as far as I can tell. Certainly not in the 5 or so years we've been here.
                                    Cheers for your input, all.

Comment

Nothing worse than looking into something (typically rather large) in your yard and finding out it is an invasive species. I burned the roots of a bush for that at the last house.

Comment

Yeah, a couple of years back I was trying to identify those trees that have white/silvery leaves that shimmer in the sun (not silver birches.) It turned out to be white poplars, but the Woodland Trust leaf identification thingie (a flowchart rather than an app then) was no help at all because white poplars are apparently not a British tree. They're all over the bloody place though, every time I go down the pig alleys there's a few dozen more growing in there.

Comment

Pig alleys?

Comment

We have the same tree as Hobbes in our front garden. It's beautiful at this time of year, really gloriously red leaves. Last time I tried to find out what it was, I think we decided it was a sumac too.

Comment

Comment

That's the current view from my office. The one I think is the sumac is the reddest one in the foreground.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                                  Pig alleys?
                                                  Scrubland and woody bits bordering the A19 at the back of Whinney Banks. Presumably some pigs were kept there at some point.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X