Aotearoa Abu!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aotearoa Abu!

With almost all results now in, Jacinda Ardern has secured Labour's first absolute majority since the introduction of the proportional electoral system, and the Greens will also secure double-digit seat numbers. National appear set for another "spill", to use the quaint Oceanian phrase, while NZ First exit stage right, with the libertarian ACT Party gaining their electorate. Finally, it seems the Maori Party are back from oblivion, after three years exiled from the Beehive.

I shall move my post here, then:

, but I've been enjoying watching the NZ election results coverage on "Stuff" . They don't muck about, pretty much all counted now.
    Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 17-10-2020, 11:24.

Comment

So, who's moving to New Zealand then?

Comment

Fantastic she’s back in, and the cherry on top is Winston Peters going off into the sunset.

Comment

Somewhat pissed (UK sense, definitely not USA!), so will just say it's bloody great to have an election night which for once turns out even better than hoped. Had the usual pessimism acquired over decades of various countries' elections, not that Ardern would lose but that it would be a damp squib and various other sub-plots would go wrong. Incredibly, almost everything went well. "Were you up for a dozen Portillos?". Yes, yes I was.

Blue blood everywhere, great fun.

Comment

Yay, good election results for once! In, er, a small country under unreplicable circumstances, but still, take what we can get nowadays

Mate of mine is married to a kiwi, I went over there for their wedding. Quite why they still live in the uk, I cannot fathom.

Comment

Pity there's a Libertarian shitstain on the rug, but apart from that, a brilliant night.

Comment

I'd rather they'd have needed the Greens for a majority, but it's good to see so much blue blood as tee Rex says, and good to see NZ First and Peters gone (shameful to have them in govt until now). So yeah.

Comment

It just shows what's possible, so long as 50% of your population and 80% of your media aren't complete turds.

It's been a bloody long time since we've enjoyed the lovely election night feelings you've just enjoyed, tee Rex.

Comment

Great news. Imagine having a leadership that actually cares about the citizens, and is competent. I hope this gives inspiration to others.

I love NZ and have seriously thought about relocating, but it's a long journey for a pussy cat, and when she's gone I may be too old. I

Legalisation of marijuana looks to be on the agenda. Woot.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                      Legalisation of marijuana looks to be on the agenda. Woot.
                      Polls suggest the referendum will fail, so maybe not. Strangely, we now have to wait 2 weeks for the result, even though all voting has closed.

Couple of stats: turnout 82.5% (est), might even be higher when the "special" votes are in (= overseas, late enrolments, etc. In NZ you can enrol right up to election day, which helps to increase turnout but delays the final result). Those special votes will be around 15% of the total and will probably change a seat or two, but not the bigger picture. They usually trend left anyway.

Around 70% voted early, an option starting 2 weeks before election day. The traditional photo-op of the leaders voting and making painful jokes about who for - well, that was done right at the start of advance voting. By the time the final debates and polls were held, most people had already voted. It was a novel and slightly strange experience, the traditional media game commentary ("2 days to go, it's up for grabs now!") made less relevant by the voters' own behaviour.

Comment

Nice to see egg on that cunt Banks' face.

Comment

UK media could do with this interviewer:

https://twitter.com/NewshubNZ/status/1317602395761893378

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post

Brilliant.

Comment

Yeah that was good.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post

Can I move to NZ now. Please pay her millions to move to the BBC. If I could marry any woman.. So good to finally see toads like this properly squirm.

This is how it should be.

Comment

Ah, Tova. I'm not here to spoil your dreams, so ... let's just say opinion in NZ swings wildly, and seems to correlate strongly with the politics of whoever she's eviscerating. Different day, different mob.

During lockdown press conferences her softball Qs were along the lines of "Apologise for the virus you heartless bastard" (I paraphrase, admittedly). She was probably NZ's most hated reporter for a while. Probably still hated, but by the losers now.

Comment

Working...
                                  X