Gosport Hospital Scandal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gosport Hospital Scandal

The Shropshire Maternity scandal post prompted me to post about this, which I've been thinking about on and off a lot in the last couple of years.

It's a case where elderly people were regularly given opioids at Gosport War Memorial hospital with perhaps hundreds of people dying before their time. There seems to be have been a catastrophic breakdown in care where staff seemed to think they were giving people the best care that they could, when actually there was an institutionalised goal of doing no more than 'making people comfortable'. Nurses there still testify that they were doing everything in good faith. Lurking at the back of it seems to be the idea that rehabilitation was unrealistic and costly and that they were doing the best in a bad situation. It's rather chilling and I'm surprised it hasn't received more coverage. An inquiry seems to be on the horizon.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...0-year-scandal

Panorama episode here

Comment

Yes, that's a remarkable watch.

Comment

I suppose what I find particularly unnerving is the idea that staff were entirely convinced they were doing the right thing. There's a certain blindness which is hard to explain. Blind to the needs and experience of older people, I think.

Comment

Working...
        X