Scam spotting advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scam spotting advice

I've had a curious thing this week. The Prudential have written to me via my employer, as they said attempts to write to me at the address they held have come back "not known". They asked me to get in touch regarding a dormant savings account. I rang the 0345 number on the letter, which is the one on their website, and they explained I had several thousand pounds in an account I'd set up in 1996, but hadn't been touched in 20 years.

I do recall having a Pru savings account back then, but I'm 90% certain I closed it down and took all the money out, as it was in 1999 I bought my first house. They say someone is going to contact me to arrange withdrawing my money. So far I haven't been asked for any bank details relating to a possible transfer. As I said, when I rang it sounded like a proper contact centre, and it is the number on www.pru.com. When I get contacted again, shall I just say send me a cheque and not give them my bank account number, or am I being ridiculously paranoid?

If the phone number is the one from the website then I suspect your first holiday post Covid is sorted...

Comment

Yeh, sounds pretty kosher to me, but I suspect that they'd send you a cheque if you want to be totally reassured.

Comment

I actually had this recently, regarding a very old pension that I had with the Pru. They pointed me towards a form on their website which was legit - asked me to answer some questions (Which were largely answered with "How the hell do I know, it was 30 years ago") and then a while later I got a later telling me the value of the pension and asking what I wanted to do with it.

So basically, it was all legitimate.
        Last edited by Snake Plissken; 14-10-2020, 13:58.

Comment

Working...
        X