Travel advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel advice

If you've had your jaw broken and it's reset with a metal plate, does it set off detectors at airports?

(asking for a friend)

You, sorry, your friend, is risking a flight?

Comment

It generally depends on the type of implant and the nature of the machine (both its design and calibration). It can't hurt to tell them in advance.

https://www.directorthocare.com/airp...vs-body-metal/

Comment

The plate and screw in my arm doesn't set off the things, shouldn't be any different in a hypothetical jaw.

but then again, mibees naw.
        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 13-10-2020, 17:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
          If you've had your jaw broken and it's reset with a metal plate, does it set off detectors at airports?

(asking for a friend)
          Should not be flying. A metallic mouth is a COVID symptom.

Comment

By the way, Guy Profumo, if it's not your friend, you've had a pretty rubbish year.
            Last edited by Gangster Octopus; 13-10-2020, 17:48.

Comment

My mother's radiation treatment for thyroid cancer set off the 'dirty bomb' detectors at the border even a decade after she'd had it done.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

Should not be flying. A metallic mouth is a COVID symptom.
                Kapow!

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                  By the way, Guy Profumo, if it's not your friend, you've had a pretty rubbish year.
                  Not as shit as his.

Got drunk, got into fight he can't remember, got his jaw smashed, and separately acrimonious split with gf.

Comment

When my family went to Cyprus when I was 18, the tiny metal screws in my head (there to hold my prosthetic ear on) set the metal detector off before the flight back. It wasn't a big issue once we realised what it was and showed them, though.

Mind you, I also accidentally packed my Swiss army knife in my hand luggage and the bloke manning the X-ray scanner responded by telling my dad not to let me do that again and giving it to him to look after, so your (friend's) mileage may vary.

Comment

Working...
                    X