Zo, N?rnberg then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zo, N?rnberg then?

I've always loved Germany but I've hardly ever been. My life has been hugely France - oriented. As its the only way of safely getting out of Holland because Covid, I'm currently doing a trip through the South, mostly walking in remoter areas, but now I find myself with 2 days in N?rnberg.

I've just done the Documentation Centre at the rally grounds this morning, which was very well done and interesting.

What I really want to know is the best way to locally stuff my face and augment my suddenly emerging beer belly, both with what, and where? Regional specialities to the fore please.

Oh and interesting stuff to do, of course. Many thanks in advance for any help.

Documetnation center is excellent would recommend the Arts and Design museum, (New Museum) German National Museum, Toy Museum (probably- Nueremberg was the cengre of toy manufacture, D?rer.

Bratwurst obviously. Lebkuchen,
    Lots of nice places to go by train not far away.S Bahn links are fantastic

Furth- once a big Jewish centre
    Erlangen
    Up unto the Fr?nkische Schweiz they have good wine, too

Comment

The DB Railway Museum is also very good

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
        The DB Railway Museum is also very good
        I was just about to say that - if it's your thing it's well worth a visit, and you'll probably need three hours even to start to do it justice. Up by Tiergaertner Tor there's plenty of restaurants and bars, as well as a brewery whose bar is worth a visit, though obviously I don't know what the restrictions are like at the moment.
        Last edited by Capybara; 08-10-2020, 13:16.

Comment

That's a start. Last night I found a fantastic restaurant and had Nuremburg sausage soup and Sauerbraten with potato dumplings. Delicious. And I like the little, local sausages here. The people all seem very nice, although I'm learning this city has a rather chequered history.

Off out beer inspecting now.

Am planning the DB museum for tomorrow morning

Comment

Adding to the above, Bamberg is nice. There's a statue of Hank Kissinger at the football ground in Fuerth

Comment

Is there? I was obviously so hungover I missed it.

Comment

8 N?rnberger bratwurst, sauerkraut and horseradish for dinner. Should have had 12. And the beer of choice is Zirndorfer Keller.

It was also de quite poignant to drive past Darmstadt a few days ago and think about G-Man 's Grandfather. I'll have to check out exactly which town he was from as I stayed really near there in deepest Hesse.
                Last edited by Logan Mountstuart; 08-10-2020, 19:21. Reason: The Hockley Amendment

Comment

Rent a car and hammer it round the ring.

Comment

How do you do the @Mr. X thing?

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                      I assiduously do not throw my towels in the bath every morning, and make my own recycling bin in my hotel rooms, and I drive for a living. I do History and beer on holiday.

Comment

Logan Mountstuart You type @UserName and about 3 characters or so in let the computer process and find the person, which you then click on to establish the link.
                        Last edited by caja-dglh; 08-10-2020, 19:21.

Comment

The problem with what you had os that the user name has a hyphen G-Man

Comment

Cheers, Andy.

Comment

Nuerburgring is in Nuerbutg and nowhere near Nuernburg

one has two n‘s and is a city. Key tEuropean trading city as it was beteeen the Rhine and the Danube so basically was known for spices , textiles and cash - then the first German railway then Nazi rallies

the other is near the French border

Comment

Ironically, the area 100m in front of where Hitler stood at the rallies is now demarcated as a start grid for motor racing.

German history is just too fucking immense to comprehend really. I'm trying to watch the football now but my head is full of the outrageous, ridiculous events that took place 3km away from where I'm sitting.

It reminds me of the time when I visited a friend in West Berlin in 1988 and I was at a bar party in Kreutsberg where people were dancing in their pants on tables, and you could go outside, walk 20m, climb some stairs and look at men with search lights, carrying machine guns 100m away.

Yet their society is so educated and exemplary, really. What a country.

Comment

There is a minor sports car circuit that essentially goes around the parade grounds, with the tribune serving as seating. It isn't used often, bit has to be extraordinarily weird when it is.

Comment

Extraordinarily crumbly, I'd say.

Apparently the Americans made much use of the space for motorsport and other mirth in the years after the war.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post

Nuerburgring is in Nuerbutg and nowhere near Nuernburg

one has two n‘s and is a city. Key tEuropean trading city as it was beteeen the Rhine and the Danube so basically was known for spices , textiles and cash - then the first German railway then Nazi rallies

the other is near the French border
                                      Well isn't that a thing. Given the character error I took a guess.

So it is nowhere near by and Logan doesn't want to do anything to do with cars anyway. I will ask for a testimonial for my recommendation business.

Comment

Well isn't that a thing. Given the character error I took a guess.

So it is nowhere near by and Logan doesn't want to do anything to do with cars anyway. I will ask for a testimonial for my recommendation business.
                                        Anyone who doesn't ignore me on Otf is a friend of mine, cala.

Comment

Caje,. German beer etc...

Comment

G-Man's granda's home village was Fischbachstal, about 20km South of Darmstadt. My own gaff Breuberg about the same distance to the east

Comment

I was in Gras - Ellenbach. All pretty close by. It was very like how his Grandad described it in his memoirs.

Comment

When we inter railed there in the 80s the rally site had a fenced-off bit for USAF personnel sports. So spent ages trying to get a photo of the tribune/Nazi remnantswith a US flag

Comment

I go to Nuernberg fairly regularly, as Fraeulein Pepys has friends there. But I'm not up with tourism--I do local things with local people.

Sorry, I'll rephrase that. People take me to nice places and I don't make a note of where they are.

The Nuerburgring is somewhere near Bonn, isn't it?
                                                  Last edited by Stumpy Pepys; 09-10-2020, 07:30.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X