Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When Is Celebration Of a Person's Death or Illness Appropriate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've discovered that me and Mrs D are somewhat diametrically opposed on this matter.
    I am not allowed to wish death on anyone. Nor that they suffer from an illness, or that any misfortune befalls them. No exceptions apparently.

Luckily my father has given me the correct response in these circumstances - I should just say that (ignoring my lack of religion) "they are in my prayers" (without of course revealing exactly what you are praying for).

I remember my parents having disagreements around Christmas 1989, when my father was very approving of the killing of the Ceaucescus: "they deserved to die", and my Mother was upset by it. She claimed it was the manner of their killings, and the graphic news coverage thereof, but knowing her politics, it might have gone a bit deeper.

Comment

Rush Limbaugh has stage 4 lung cancer so we are about to have a test case for the thread. There are already tweets saying "Rush and I had our differences but..."

"Adolf and I had our differences about the six million but have compassion for a guy in a bunker, ffs."

"Joseph just poisoned his kids then he and his wife committed suicide but have compassion for a guy at the end of his life, ffs."

"The guy giving this crazy speech in Florida today raped X number of women but have compassion for a guy with syphilitic brain rot, ffs."
      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 20-10-2020, 08:45.

Comment

Deleted because I hadn't read the whole thread before posting.
        Last edited by kokamoa; 20-10-2020, 09:01.

Comment

I hope he dies much more slowly than my mum did when she had lung cancer.

Comment

I'm in the camp of not really saying very much when somebody bad dies. I mean, it doesn't change what I think of them and what they did during their lifespans, but I don't think I've got it in me to *celebrate* when someone dies. I consider my complete indifference to suffice.

Comment

Rush Limbaugh, stage 4 cancer you say?

Comment

Yep, that's basically me.

"Oh. Oh dear."

*goes back to eating my sandwich*

Comment

I guess so but I think Limbaugh might be a genuine loss to the Alt-right. He'd have been idea for Trump TV. Evil skillset.

Comment

I dearly wish I could find that Breitbart 'eulogy' at times like this. It sort of went "To Andrew's children, your father was an irredeemably horrible human being who reveled in making others' lives more difficult just for the sake of doing so", and carried on nicely like that for a while. The things you wish you'd bookmarked, eh?

Comment

Matt Taibbi? https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...-douche-90257/

Comment

Working...
                      X