Perfectly reasonable things that annoy you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. The fact that at London's Turnpike Lane the bus stop for the 41 etc is seperate from that for the 29 etc, forcing me to choose one of them. This is completely reasonable on TfL's part, because the routes diverge at Turnpike Lane, but I live in the 'V' between their divergent routes, and do TfL take that into account? Do they fuck.

People who choose to sit beside you on the bus/train.

It's MY fucking seat! Stand, why don't you?

Comment

When Mrs C (who is Canadian) says to our children "Come and sit up" at tea time.
      Inwardly I'm seething 'It's sit down woman, sit down!'

I've mentioned her grave error to her - on more than one occasion if I'm being honest, but she still keeps letting me down. I'm not allowed to mention it to her any more either for some reason...

Comment

When someone - having decided to fold the newspaper back on itself to facilitate easier seated reading - pissing well leaves it that way. This makes me inordinately angry, despite not being as bad as, say, being from Whitehaven.

Comment

Having to try to get anywhere in life. There should just be magic powers.

Comment

People who choose to sit beside you on the bus/train.

Who, on the train, then get up to go to the lavatory or the buffet car. We all have bodily needs, but come on.

Comment

HMV organising their DVD displays by alphabetical order, coupled with the fact that they've just moved their shelves around. So where once the Doctor Who DVDs were ideally situated for browsing, on a shelf just below head-height, they're now on the bottom row. So I have to squat to look through them.

Comment

There's nothing reasonable about the way HMV organises their films. It's totally haphazard for anything out of the ordinary, for instance a Studio Ghibli film like Ponyo. Is it in "Feature Films"? No. Is it in "World Cinema"? No. Is it in "Anime"? Yes! But is it under "P" for "Ponyo"? No! It's Under "G" for "Ghibli"!

Comment

Etiquette around sneezing.

It's worse in Germany than the UK. I sneeze and someone has to say 'gesundheit'. Then I'm supposed to say 'bitte'.

I mean, what's the fucking point? Really?

Edit: No I'm supposed to say 'danke', come to think of it. Like I give a toss.

Comment

I used to be really annoyed at my best mate using his middle finger to point to things, like a line in a newspaper, etc. "Why do we have an index finger, J? The clue's in the name!"

(I've since come round to his way of thinking, however - the middle finger's longer and is actually a better pointer.)

Comment

When the people at a show/concert who have their seats in the centre of the row arrive after those of us with our seats at the end of the row, so we're all up and down and up and down as they decide to trickle in at their leisure.

People who walk along at their normal pace when I'm in a big hurry. I mean, keep a watch behind you...I might be coming up at an impatient clip.

Comment

People who noisily blow their nose in the same room as me. Disgusting bastards! Can't you just silently pick your nose, like me?!

Comment

The fact that at London's Turnpike Lane the bus stop for the 41 etc is seperate from that for the 29 etc, forcing me to choose one of them. This is completely reasonable on TfL's part, because the routes diverge at Turnpike Lane, but I live in the 'V' between their divergent routes, and do TfL take that into account? Do they fuck.
                          The routes go in different directions and only share Green Lane for about 400 yards or so between Turnpike Lane tube station and the "v". So your choice of route should depend on your destination. So where is the problem?

Comment

Eh?

Comment

I have to admit I share Paul's confusion. Surely the 41 and 29 go to different places?

Edit: And surely the place where the 41 turns left off Green Lanes (and thus deviates from the 29 route) is about 30 seconds down the road from Turnpike Lane tube?

Comment

Yes, as Wyatt says, that is what makes TfL's decision perfectly reasonable. What he is saying is that it also annoys him, as both buses are (roughly) equally good for him to take to get home.

Comment

Yeah, Hof, keep up.

Comment

Oh hold on, yeah, I've just understood what you meant. Makes sense now.

Comment

Surely you choose the 41 as it's more frequent?

Comment

It's worse in Germany than the UK. I sneeze and someone has to say 'gesundheit'. Then I'm supposed to say 'bitte'.

A mate of mine eschews "bitte" in favour of "Maul halten, weitergehen."

Which is a tad rude, but probably makes people think twice about saying "Gesundheit" in future.

One day, he's going to get a bloody good hiding.

Comment

English speakers saying 'Gesundheit', even more annoying (which is why I always say 'Health!'). 'Gesundheit' sounds like a sneeze, so the implication is that sneezes are contagious.

Also annoying, people who invariably sneeze in groups of three, and get a separate 'Bless you' for each one.

Comment

People who speak in monotone. I have to fight the urge to demand that they "Say it again. With feeling."

Comment

Billy Casper wrote:
                                              When Mrs C (who is Canadian) says to our children "Come and sit up" at tea time.
                                              Inwardly I'm seething 'It's sit down woman, sit down!'

I've mentioned her grave error to her - on more than one occasion if I'm being honest, but she still keeps letting me down. I'm not allowed to mention it to her any more either for some reason...
                                              I'm probably going to be told it's actually the correct English form, always has been and to get with the times, Daddio, but... "(do you want to) come with" winds me up. Come with who?!? Be more bloody specific!

Comment

People who speak in monotone. I have to fight the urge to demand that they "Say it again. With feeling."

You're being far too nice about this. Speaking in monotone isn't 'reasonable' at all, at least not when you're voluntarily addressing a group of people.

One of my co-workers is very fond of the sound of his own voice. Unfortunately, he's the only person who is - due in no small part to the fact that his delivery is similarly pitched to somebody mumbling in their sleep.

This doesn't prevent him from delivering at least one prolonged monologue per departmental meeting. By the end of it, people aren't fighting the urge to demand that he liven up a bit; they're fighting the urge to shake him to within an inch of his life.

This co-worker has no physical problems that may affect his speech. If you're in the boozer with him, he'll speak differently. It's only when he's talking at work that he goes soporific.

Maybe "Uninflected" is all the go at the moment, I really don't know.

Comment

'Gesundheit' sounds like a sneeze, so the implication is that sneezes are contagious.
                                                  Technically, they are. Some of them, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X