No announcement yet.

RIP RBG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd pick Dublin. I prefer dark and rainy.

Comment

Porto does dark and rainy

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
        Portugal is going all out on the tech talent poaching tip. I know where I'd rather be as a young Dev if the choice of EU residence was Lisbon or Dublin.
        Bar the unfortunate byproduct of following in Paddy Cosgrove's footsteps in that regard, of course.

Comment

I also know a tech bro who was nabbed by Portugal.

Comment

Grandparent rule?

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
              I'd pick Dublin. I prefer dark and rainy.
              It barely seems to rain here anymore. That's not to say the weather is objectively good, just that there's way less drizzle than when I arrived 20 odd years back. More absolutely teeming it down quick showers though.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                Porto does dark and rainy
                I'm thinking more of their attitude rather than just the weather.

Besides, I don't eat pork and don't drink, so I'm afraid the advantages of the entire Iberian peninsula are lost on me.

Comment

Not drinking could be a problem in Dublin

Comment

No, I figure everyone else would be too drunk to notice that I'm not.

Comment

Not doing Coke would mark you out even more in certain circles.

Comment

2 years until the first "tech bros are ruining the Portugal I love" articles written by tech bros who arrived earlier?

Comment

I think that there are different understandings of the term here, because Portugal expects people to pay taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                            2 years until the first "tech bros are ruining the Portugal I love" articles written by tech bros who arrived earlier?
                            There's already been articles in the Guardian about tech bros paying a premium for apartments and short term holiday lets pushing Lisbon rents beyond what most locals can afford.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post

It barely seems to rain here anymore. That's not to say the weather is objectively good, just that there's way less drizzle than when I arrived 20 odd years back. More absolutely teeming it down quick showers though.
                              I got this impression as well. Though I noticed a change in that about 10 years ago (my starting point would go back a bit further than you)

Surely there's pretty much an open door for americans to move to pretty much every country in europe? I mean there's likely some hoops to jump through to do with paper work but nothing out of the ordinary, and it's likely easier for an american to move to the EU, for any length of time, than vice versa.

Comment

The degree of administrative nonsense can vary quite a bit by country, particularly if one isn't proficient in the language and/or is not being sponsored by a local firm.

Comment

I can't imagine that moving to italy from outside the EU is fun. I'm going to throw in belgium in there as well.

Comment

Well, it took more than two years for the other two members of the family to get permanent residence permits, which wasn't great for ms ursus' peace of mind.

I only lived in Belgium for three months and therefore avoided all that.

Comment

https://twitter.com/noliewithbtc/status/1540102041997086721?s=21&t=P130vYT8BXtH2ITJKUq3cg

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

I'm thinking more of their attitude rather than just the weather.

Besides, I don't eat pork and don't drink, so I'm afraid the advantages of the entire Iberian peninsula are lost on me.
                                        I've lived in both Portugal and the USA and the latter is far more of a meat based culture. At least in terms of mammals and birds, not really fish. And the Portuguese are not heavy drinkers (neither are the Spanish). It would be a pity to miss out on some very good wine, but the kind of pity that only drinkers would feel (like the sad look that people get when I tell them I don't eat cheese)

Comment

I’m sure we eat more meat, but I’ve learned to avoid it. Mostly by not eating in restaurants.

Comment

That's a transferable skill

Comment

Is it?

Movies suggest that life in Europe is all about couples sitting outside sharing long meals with lots of wine discussing important topics until somebody gets angry and then it degenerates until somebody admits to having a secret affair with somebody else at the table and it all gets weird.

Does Portugal do the “eat dinner at 10 pm” system? I can’t do that.

Comment

You and treibeis need to do a life exchange for three months

They don't eat as late as Spaniards

Comment

Go out to eat in Portugal at 10 and you'll go hungry

Comment

That’s very sensible.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X